Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6352, 2012-04-10

CONTESTANTS
Maurice Ayache, a graduate student of engineering from La Jolla, California
Amy Ketterling, an administrative assistant from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Doug Lloyd, a law student from Charlton, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. On yesterday's program, going into Final, we had the potential for a $30,000 win. Unfortunately, none of the players was able to come up with the correct response, and that includes our returning champion, Doug. But he's here to defend today, and he will try to earn more than $12,400. And let's see how our challengers do against him. Let's go to work. Here are the categories for the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PUT ME IN (5/5)
COACH (4/5)
I'M READY TO PLAY, TODAY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LOOK AT ME (4/5)
I CAN "BE" (4/5)
CENTER FIELD (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Maurice: 11 R, 1 W
Amy: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Doug: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Amy: $2,600
Maurice: $1,400
Doug: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tiny bits of weird information apply to all three of our contestants today. Maurice Ayache from La Jolla, California, it says here that you ate the world's hottest pepper.

Maurice: I did, indeed.

Alex: What was it?

Maurice: It's called a ghost pepper. Uh, I was at a sushi bar near closing time, and, uh, the chef offered to the few people who were left, "Does anybody want to try this pepper?" And he didn't tell us it's the ghost pepper. And I said, "How hot could it be?" And I found out how hot it can be.

Alex: Okay. Well, you're still alive, so that's good.

Alex: Amy Ketterling from Minnesota--she is Facebook friends with...

Amy: A giant concrete otter.

[Laughter]

Amy: His name is Otto, and he's the mascot of my hometown of Fergus Falls, Minnesota. [Laughs] He's a friendly otter.

Alex: And you're Facebook friends--doesn't that mean you have to communicate?

Amy: Oh, he talks, yep.

[Laughter]

Amy: On Facebook.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

Alex: Doug Lloyd. Champion. Law student. A competitor in seventh grade in a spelling bee, and didn't win because he could not spell...

Doug: "Plum".

Alex: P-L-U-M?

Doug: The wanted P-L-U-M, but I overcomplicated the problem and spelled "plumb"--P-L-U-M-B, like a plumb weight. And I didn't ask for clarification. Next year in the spelling bee, I made sure to ask for clarification whenever I had a... a troublesome word.

Alex: All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Doug had $600, Amy had $5,000, and Maurice was at $2,200. Amy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,000.

I'M READY TO PLAY, TODAY $1000: Artist Rick Irons designed the classic red & orange flame logo of this toy brand introduced in 1968

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LOOK AT ME $800: This gambler seen here, also a character on "Boardwalk Empire", introduced a dapper look for 1920s gangsters

I CAN "BE" $600: The AKC says this breed is a "sturdy hunting dog" & has "a merry personality"
(Doug: What's a Saint Bernard?)

COACH $600: He won the Super Bowl in his first year with Tampa Bay & is now part of the "Monday Night Football" team

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amy: $11,200
Maurice: $5,000
Doug: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
1850s AMERICA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SHAPELY WORDS & PHRASES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LAST COMPLETE NOVEL (1/3) (Alex: You identify the author.)
CITIES IN SONG LYRICS (5/5)
POLITICAL TYPES (5/5)
BALLET MISERABLE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Doug: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Amy: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Maurice: 5 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Doug had $5,600, Amy had $16,000, and Maurice was at $3,800. Amy wagered $6,000.

SHAPELY WORDS & PHRASES $1600: You get to be "mayor" if you "check in" at a certain location more than anyone else using this mobile platform

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Doug who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 17th clue. Doug had $10,000, Amy had $21,600, and Maurice was at $7,800. Doug wagered $6,000.

1850s AMERICA $800: In 1855 it was reported that this crop amounted to half of all U.S. exports
(Doug: What's tobacco?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAST COMPLETE NOVEL $2000: "Timequake"
(1997)
(Maurice: Who is Michael Crichton?)

LAST COMPLETE NOVEL $1600: "The Winter of our Discontent"
(1961)
(Alex: Less than a minute now, Maurice.)

BALLET MISERABLE $800: At practice I was asked to do an enlevement, the raising of one of these over my head with one arm
(Maurice: What is a leg?)
(Doug: What is a foot?)

BALLET MISERABLE $2000: I nailed the first solo in "Fancy Free", with a double turn in the air & a landing in this position, but now I can't get up
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amy: $26,400 (lock game)
Maurice: $6,600
Doug: $6,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Welcome back. I'm sure many of you thought we should have accepted Doug's response regarding that, uh, transatlantic cable line, the telegraph line, a few minutes ago. And our judges agree with you, so he has been credited with a correct response. The category for Final is AWARDS & PRIZES, and here comes the clue, players...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS & PRIZES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Amy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $13,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Maurice: Wager $5,401 to cover Doug.
Doug: Risk between $601 and $4,800, covering Maurice's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Designed by Norwegian Gustav Vigeland, it depicts 3 naked men with their hands on each other's shoulders

FINAL SCORES
Doug: $6,000 + $1,000 = $7,000 (What is the Nobel Prize for Peace?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Maurice: $6,600 - $5,400 = $1,200 (What is the Olympic Medal) (3rd place: $1,000)
Amy: $26,400 + $3,600 = $30,000 (What is the Nobel Peace Prize Medal) (New champion: $30,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amy: $18,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Doug: $12,000, 16 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Maurice: $6,600, 16 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $36,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Amy: 19/60 = .317
Doug: 17/59 = .288
Maurice: 16/58 = .276
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CENTER FIELD $600: The MacDonnell Ranges cross the Red Centre, a sprawling area in this country's Northern Territory
(Maurice: What is Canada?)
(Doug: What is Scotland?)

LOOK AT ME $200: This 20th century tsar nominally supervised the construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway

LOOK AT ME $400: In presidential elections, this man won the silver three times

LOOK AT ME $600: Politicians continue to debate the economic ideas of this Brit, who died in 1946

LOOK AT ME $1000: Though he went off to Africa instead of attending university, he's known for his scholarship

CITIES IN SONG LYRICS $1200: Sara Bareilles was "Gonna sell my car and go to" this Silver State city; "that's where dreams would be"
(Maurice: What is Reno?)
[When calling on Amy, Alex mis-calls her "Ames", due to the way she wrote the "y" in her name.]

SHAPELY WORDS & PHRASES $1200: That's Jesus Castanon aboard the victorious Shackleford in this spot at Pimlico

POLITICAL TYPES $400: From the Latin for "send with a commission", it's a representative to a political convention
(Amy: What's a representative? Oh!)

POLITICAL TYPES $800: This word follows "agent" to mean one who infiltrates a rival group & incites its members into incriminating acts
[Alex pronounces "agent" in French, and Maurice does the same for "provocateur".]

1850s AMERICA $1200: When this was completed between Newfoundland & Ireland in 1858, Queen Victoria & Pres. Buchanan traded messages
(Doug: What is the transatlantic telegraph line?)
(Alex: No. Give me more than that.)
(Doug: Sorry.)
[Reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

1850s AMERICA $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map of the Southwest U.S. and northern Mexico on the monitor.) The U.S. wanted to build a railroad across the Southwest, but the land was too mountainous, so in 1853 flatter land for the railroad was purchased from Mexico by this U.S. minister

CORRECT RESPONSES
Hot Wheels
Arnold Rothstein
a beagle
Jon Gruden
foursquare
cotton
Kurt Vonnegut
John Steinbeck
a ballerina
the splits
the Nobel Peace Prize
Australia
Nicholas II
William Jennings Bryan
(John Maynard) Keynes
Cecil Rhodes
Las Vegas
the Winner's Circle
delegate
provocateur
the transatlantic cable
Gadsden
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Awards & Prizes
Designed by Norwegian Gustav Vigeland, it depicts 3 naked men with their hands on each other's shoulders.
Spoiler
What is the Nobel Peace Prize? Maurice said the Olympic medal.
Amy Ketterling: $26,400+$3,600=$30,000...now a 1-day champion with $30,000
Maurice Ayache: $6,600-$5,400=$1,200
Doug Lloyd: $6,000+$1,000=$7,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprised at the TS on Beagle.

0/5 on Look at Me, but you-know-what had nothing to do with it. I paid attention entirely to the clue text, but could not make heads or tails of any of the clues.

Speaking of tails, otters are my favorite animal, so I was happy with Amy's story.

Lots of clams (see what I did there?), including 3 in Ballet. I, too, thought "one of these" would be a body part, and was wondering what else could be lifted over the head with one hand if it wasn't leg or foot.

Nobel Peace Prize briefly came to me… somehow… but I was far too uncertain to lock it in, and "three naked men" didn't suggest peace to me. Nor did, you know, anything else in the clue.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I didn't know what it looked like before tonight (EDIT: I've seen the medal before, but only the side with Nobel's head, not this side), but Norwegian + hands on each other's shoulders (sounds like peace and cooperation to me) made it instaget.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I didn't know what it looked like before tonight, but Norwegian + hands on each other's shoulders (sounds like peace and cooperation to me) made it instaget.
*nod* I was expecting FJ to be a killer, as the two rounds were about as simple as I have ever seen them. I wasn't keeping track, but if I didn't break 50, I'd be surprised.
ACW

Post by ACW »

John Fogerty FTW! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Swept coaches 8-)
Hint: Any time a question about coaches involved ND, it's Knute Rockne.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Amy dominated this game. Last dominating woman I can recall is Larissa Kelly, three more games and they can be compared.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

I kicked myself after not thinking of Herb Brooks in time. I precalled Steinbeck in the last book category then didn't even get it right (at least I had heard of the book). Got FJ, couldn't think of any other award from a Scandinavian country that wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Glad they gave you back the telegraph points, Doug, but sorry you ended up losing. Hope you enjoyed the experience! Yet another FJ that should poll quite high this week. I wonder what they would have done if someone just said "Nobel Prize"?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jaxjags wrote:I kicked myself after not thinking of Herb Brooks in time. I precalled Steinbeck in the last book category then didn't even get it right (at least I had heard of the book). Got FJ, couldn't think of any other award from a Scandinavian country that wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize
What about the Nobel Prizes for Economics, Literature, Chemistry, etc.? I was wondering after Doug's correct response what would have happened if one of the other players had just said Nobel Prize. I'm assuming that it would have to be negged, since there is no BMS in Final Jeopardy.
jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Post by jaxjags »

jeff6286 wrote:
jaxjags wrote:I kicked myself after not thinking of Herb Brooks in time. I precalled Steinbeck in the last book category then didn't even get it right (at least I had heard of the book). Got FJ, couldn't think of any other award from a Scandinavian country that wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize
What about the Nobel Prizes for Economics, Literature, Chemistry, etc.? I was wondering after Doug's correct response what would have happened if one of the other players had just said Nobel Prize. I'm assuming that it would have to be negged, since there is no BMS in Final Jeopardy.
Dang it, I mean Nobel Prize in general. Well, anyway, I just guessed Peace Prize since it wouldn't fit the other prizes that well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:I'm assuming that it would have to be negged, since there is no BMS in Final Jeopardy.
Yeah, it'd be negged. The others do not have the naked dudes on the reverse.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/medal.html (and then click to see the others).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote: EDIT: Swept coaches 8-)
Hint: Any time a question about coaches involved ND, it's Knute Rockne.
Not quite any time, but close. The archive shows two clues about Lou Holtz, two for Ara Parseghian, and about 20 for Knute Rockne.
alietr wrote:Glad they gave you back the telegraph points, Doug, but sorry you ended up losing. Hope you enjoyed the experience! Yet another FJ that should poll quite high this week. I wonder what they would have done if someone just said "Nobel Prize"?
Get out of my head!
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I'm assuming that it would have to be negged, since there is no BMS in Final Jeopardy.
Yeah, it'd be negged. The others do not have the naked dudes on the reverse.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/medal.html (and then click to see the others).
I'm assuming some of the other Nobel Prize designs include "Three naked men waiting for a doctor", "Three naked men reading books", "Three naked men playing with...test tubes", etc.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This game had yet another sloppily written board.

I missed FJ. I went with my first instinct, the Medal of Honor. The "Norwegian" part made me think of the Nobel Peace Prize, but the description of what was on the medal sounded to me like something that would be more likely to be on the Medal of Honor than the Nobel Peace Prize. Oh well.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

alietr wrote:Glad they gave you back the telegraph points, Doug, but sorry you ended up losing. Hope you enjoyed the experience! Yet another FJ that should poll quite high this week. I wonder what they would have done if someone just said "Nobel Prize"?
I challenged the telegraph answer immediately after DJ! ended. Not like it mattered really, but it was pride for me. I was bruised right after the DD and then to get that wrong too I was pretty demoralized because I thought I was insanely specific. I almost didn't ring in for the $1600 in that category even though I knew it b/c I was afraid of it happening again. Harry Friedman came out to tell me they had reversed about 20 seconds after I challenged, so I think they were already in the process of reconsidering. I was pretty pumped.

For FJ! they gave us the explicit instruction to "be specific", so my guess is "Nobel Prize" would have been negged for lack of specificity. Clearly I immediately knew it was a Nobel Prize (Norwegian being the tip off) and then later thought about it and was like "...for Peace". That's why it was awkwardly phrased.

I'd be really interested in everyone's honest opinion on my DD wager. (Not necessarily my DD answer, which was just one of those moments where something sticks in your head...) I don't know how I feel about it. Clearly I was trying to make a move given the score, and in retrospect I think it wouldn't have mattered WHAT I wagered since the rest of the game played out such that I couldn't have retaken the lead and then we both got FJ!. But after I left the studio thinking it over one of my first reactions was "Oh man...wonder what the boardies are going to think of that DD in Game 2."

At the end of the day, it's like my fiance (who was in the audience) said. It's probably better to get blown out than to lose by a buck. I tend to agree. Although I also was already a champion...so that might've softened the blow a bit. Not to mention that you can't lose to a nicer person than Amy Ketterling. Seriously.

Thanks for the support guys! I think I might go request my title change now. :D Looking forward to seeing the rest of my taping group this week!
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Doug527 wrote:I'd be really interested in everyone's honest opinion on my DD wager...in retrospect I think it wouldn't have mattered WHAT I wagered since the rest of the game played out such that I couldn't have retaken the lead and then we both got FJ!.
Not a bad bet, but I probably would've gone TDD in that spot. A miss pretty much ends the game, so might as well try to get as close as you can. And maybe the game would've played out differently; it would've been a huge psychological boost to stop Amy's momentum, and get within 2-3 clues of the lead.

Congrats on the win! Sorry it ended so quickly.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Not a bad bet, but I probably would've gone TDD in that spot. A miss pretty much ends the game, so might as well try to get as close as you can. And maybe the game would've played out differently; it would've been a huge psychological boost to stop Amy's momentum, and get within 2-3 clues of the lead.

Congrats on the win! Sorry it ended so quickly.
Seconded
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Doug527 wrote:I'd be really interested in everyone's honest opinion on my DD wager.
Ha ha ha. Like this crew lets anything pass without a comment.