Friday, July 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, July 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

The 1969 Mets beat the Braves in the first NLCS. Not a good day for Atlanta sports fans.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm I didn't know who wasn't used.
(apology in advance for the cheap troll :))
who was used. he was on first. :P

I missed the previous two eps, but made a point to see the finale of LeVar. His 'audition' is very near the bottom. But his potential is very near the top of the list, if not the best. I think Buzzy might be the only one who could match him in giving the show some charisma and character, and become iconic to the show. I have no doubt that LeVar could clean up the hiccups in time.

Matt was a lot more watchable today for me for some reason. I was almost disappointed he didn't get DD1 so I could see if he'd follow up his bottom row mining with a TDD. Someone is going to have to outbuzz him to beat him.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: I'll cut LeVar a little slack on the FJ! responses for being slow with Rachel as I can understand even with the card in front of you, and only having to remember two names, how it could be confusing keeping it all straight at the moment.

I'll bet he was thinking of his slip-up in the previous game with Dana. It had only been a couple hours at best, since that happened real time.

This board from 2005 would have provided some trivia prep for today's FJ:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=666
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 1/4 on big clues. Didn't know the name of the seeds company. Forgot the category and guessed Elijah. Wrote down "What is where, why?"

Missed Padua and said Palermo. Missed San Marino and guessed Singapore, and Massachusetts Bay Colony with Massachusetts. I froze and couldn't pull Jean Valjean. I missed conjunctiva with iris. I'm amazed at how regularly I miss the half dozen parts of the eye they ask about. I think it has something to do with not being able to look at my own eye.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Good Neighbor Policy, Freedmen's Bureau, hemophilia, Recreational, and Frost.

I'm full of anticipation because we're going to find out about the new permanent host soon.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The fact that the additional audience who tuned in to see LeVar got to see a superchamp in dominant form can't be a bad thing for the show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:50 pm I missed conjunctiva with iris.
It's easier if you know Pink Eye is also known as conjunctivitis.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm Well done by Matt to sweep the week and do his part towards RIF getting $204,800 for a 5-day total.
I believe Matt now holds the record (well, will hold) for appearing opposite the most J! hosts?
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:24 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 pm Really don't understand how all 3 could miss this. I can only guess that Andrew has never heard this routine, considering the two he answered.
Who and What are the best known, Why not so much so I can see someone losing a coin flip. Putting down one of the players in the title, I hope he just got confused.
Knew those two. Knew when wasn't. "Where" felt more punchlineable over "Why"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

I performed the whole bit in high school. It’s perfect, honestly, but has so many places you can get lost and circle back and be in the wrong place and throw your partner off. It intense. But if you nail it? It is amazing. It’s so beautifully written. Perfection.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm Well done by Matt to sweep the week and do his part towards RIF getting $204,800 for a 5-day total.
I believe Matt now holds the record (well, will hold) for appearing opposite the most J! hosts?
He will on Monday, unless it's revealed that Matt couldn't return after LeVar's taping, & then he's not brought back as a co-champ 'til sometime in S38 *&* one of either Robin or LeVar has been named the permanent host. This is obviously extremely unlikely, but it's not technically impossible.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Our brief national nightmare is over!! Matt continues to impress although he seemed better at geography in his earlier games. I did get FJ but didn’t feel confident. Lucky me! I’m going to Dallas in mid-September and I’m thinking of going to a Texas Rangers game. I’ve seen about 20 different stadiums but quite a few have changed since my attendance.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I matched the two matched players on FJ. My dad could remember the "Why?" "I don't know—THIRD BASE!" portion, so he had it. (He also solved --G --R in FOOD & DRINK—the contestant had called GHDO—in the bonus round of tonight's Wheel of Fortune rerun when I couldn't.)

I wasn't positive that "conjunctiva" was the word, so I would have said "conjunctival (membrane)" and since that is the correct adjective form, I think it would have been fine.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I know FJs are random, but it seemed appropriate to close out the week with this one after all the internet snark about Matt's use of "what" for every response. Maybe the gods of chance were indicating it's OK to use other Ws to start a question?

I also gave an involuntary half-snort when Andrew answered the Lyme disease clue with "Who are ticks?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:31 pm [LeVar's] 'audition' is very near the bottom. But his potential is very near the top of the list, if not the best. I think Buzzy might be the only one who could match him in giving the show some charisma and character, and become iconic to the show. I have no doubt that LeVar could clean up the hiccups in time.
I agree with the call. I wish Robin could have gotten another week simply because it was fun to watch her have fun. I wish LeVar could have gotten another week to see if he could settle down. I think he's the overly-nervous champion gymnast who stumbled a bit under self-induced pressure but could turn in a great score after a few days to catch his breath.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

The "Miracle Mets" were specifically the 1969 team, but I think "Amazing" works for any year, a la "Dem Bums" or "Bronx Bombers". I've read the local sports headline "Amazing Disgrace" more than once over the years.

I gave the popular response in FJ. I never had the routine memorized, or nearly.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:31 pm [LeVar's] 'audition' is very near the bottom. But his potential is very near the top of the list, if not the best. I think Buzzy might be the only one who could match him in giving the show some charisma and character, and become iconic to the show. I have no doubt that LeVar could clean up the hiccups in time.
I agree with the call. I wish Robin could have gotten another week simply because it was fun to watch her have fun. I wish LeVar could have gotten another week to see if he could settle down. I think he's the overly-nervous champion gymnast who stumbled a bit under self-induced pressure but could turn in a great score after a few days to catch his breath.
As long as we're not pinning a "GOAT" label to his chest.
I'm smart and I want respect.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Matt has taken it to a new level now. I don’t know if he gets through two more full weeks, but it is going to take a big performance to beat him. Either that, or a game where he hits DD1 and misses on the double-up, giving his opponents some hope.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If I were Andrew (oh, wait, I am) -- er, Andrew Kleinschmidt, that is -- I would have asked the CCs for a postponement to give myself more time heal, thus avoiding Matt. And why did he make every response seem like a guess (both vocally and physically)?

One of the items on my card was how I had been in a bicycle accident a few months before taping and ended up with a concussion (not the first time, alas). But how much worse I would have been if I weren't wearing a helmet, and how important it is to wear one. So Andrew did have my sympathy. I'm glad he recovered so well.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

I assumed Matt's response to FJ! would be in true minimalist form:
"Where? When?"

His presence was improved from prior episodes. His tone was slightly different and there weren't as many slight pauses between the "What's" and the rest of the response. Changing it up with "What is" a few times also helped, I thought. Impressive knowledge, for sure. Kudos!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brucejoel199 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:01 pm
He will on Monday, unless it's revealed that Matt couldn't return after LeVar's taping, & then he's not brought back as a co-champ 'til sometime in S38 *&* one of either Robin or LeVar has been named the permanent host. This is obviously extremely unlikely, but it's not technically impossible.
Zach Newkirk is currently at two so if someone other than Ken hosts his TOC he will join the three host club. And if we ever have another super-TOC, Sam Kavanaugh could join if Buzzy isn’t the host.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'm irritated with myself for missing FJ!. I knew that Today and Tomorrow were two of the players, so I convinced myself that When? was used over Why? and incorrectly responded Why? and Where?.

Matt looks very strong. Props to Andrew.

I was glad to see LeVar do better today. Guess I'll leave my comment at that.