Monday, August 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, August 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I didn't realize J.J. Astor was German, but Waldorf was all I needed for this FJ.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 pm No guess on FJ! Didn't see a single TOM anywhere in it. Seems like the FJ!s have been ungodly hard of late...
You should know about Astor because he's got a pretty significant Michigan tie-in:
In 1822, Astor established the Robert Stuart House on Mackinac Island in Michigan as headquarters for the reorganized American Fur Company, making the island a metropolis of the fur trade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Astor
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

ERRATUM: Shelley Long played Carol Brady in 3 films.

The Brady Bunch Movie(1995)
A Very Brady Sequel(1996)
The Brady Bunch in the White House(2002)
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

30R. 2/4 on big clues. Missed Nicholas II and guessed Franz Joseph. Missed Astor and wrote down Whitney just to have something.

Lots of misses for me today. Said Ohio instead of Virginia, stratocumulus instead of cumulonimbus, saves instead of stolen bases, hitch instead of Windsor, Austin instead of Jackson, briefcase instead of umbrella, Nebraska instead of Missouri, and threads per inch instead of thread count.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Tuscany, Clarence Clemons, Christine McVie, A Soldier's Play, and katydid.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:37 pm ERRATUM: Shelley Long played Carol Brady in 3 films.

The Brady Bunch Movie(1995)
A Very Brady Sequel(1996)
The Brady Bunch in the White House(2002)
The third was a TV movie, so it doesn't really fit the "TV to Film" thing. Maybe they should they have said "cinema."
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

John Boy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:26 pm I have known who Astor was, of course, but never knew he was an immigrant, certainly not a German immigrant, not with a name like that. If Waldorf is considered TOM, no wonder everybody missed it. Horrible clue.
I suppose "Astor" is not obviously German, unless you know John Jacob Astor, but then, he is pretty famous. It's no accident that Herr JIngleheimer-Schmidt's first names were "John Jacob".

It seems Jeopardy players make the best hosts. Not so surprising, really. For one thing, they tend to have a better sense of which gets are noteworthy and which are routine. They're also better at recognizing, and so at explaining, the key components of a clue (though hopefully they save this for post-FJ).

Interesting pronunciation of "katydid" by Matt. Was he thinking of caryatids? But I remember first reading of the bug in a children's science book that explained the sound they supposedly make. Probably Matt learned of them elsewhere.

I was happy to get Wynton Marsalis for $2000. I figured he was about the most famous jazz guy who is probably still alive who we are expected to have heard of. They'd have had to prompt me for first name, but I'd have gone with Wynton.

On the Rappahannock clue, I vaguely remembered from "R"IVERS $2000 in this game that "Rappahannock" is of indigenous origin and "Rapidan" isn't. In fact, the latter means "Rapid Anne", as in Queen Anne of England.

It does seem that Anne (the contestant) is probably not into crosswords, but it's just possible she knew that RUR goes with Capek, and vice-versa, but no more.
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I had not seen David Faber in over 25 years...just remembering him from when he was just starting out on CNBC. He looked pretty much like he did back in the day, just an older (and slightly plumper) version. But then again...who hasn't gained a few pounds in the last quarter of a century?

I thought Faber did a great job, especially for a first appearance.
yclept

Post by yclept »

David Faber was damn good. The first host where I had no idea who he was before now.

At the beginning of the game, I thought Matt was going to be in a dogfight. Before I could blink, he was over $5K at the first break, hit on a true DD, and his opponents were seemingly deflated.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:05 pm I didn't realize J.J. Astor was German, but Waldorf was all I needed for this FJ.
I didn’t know he was German, and I had always thought Waldorf was probably a partner in building the hotel, but putting Waldorf in the clue directly pointed to Astor for me too.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Skunked that Instrumental Music category :(

Just looked at the Pearl River and decided not to make a flash card because it doesn’t have many hits in the Archive :shock:

Does Matt have a friend at the judges table? Weird that he keeps looking over there for rulings, when he should only be looking at the board or the host.

“Nicholas? (Glances over) … the second??”

Player said she had “no idea” on RUR - and yet there was enough context there to guess robot. Suppose she knew she didn’t have a clue, but I say take the time, rack your brain, and get beeped- but say anything
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:07 am
Interesting pronunciation of "katydid" by Matt. Was he thinking of caryatids? But I remember first reading of the bug in a children's science book that explained the sound they supposedly make. Probably Matt learned of them elsewhere.

I was inordinately amused by Matt's booksmart pronunciation of "katydid." But one online dictionary says it has a schwa in the middle, which also misses the point. (A booksmart dictionary!) Merriam-Webster has it the way I've always heard it.
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:55 am Skunked that Instrumental Music category :(

Just looked at the Pearl River and decided not to make a flash card because it doesn’t have many hits in the Archive :shock:

Does Matt have a friend at the judges table? Weird that he keeps looking over there for rulings, when he should only be looking at the board or the host.

“Nicholas? (Glances over) … the second??”

Player said she had “no idea” on RUR - and yet there was enough context there to guess robot. Suppose she knew she didn’t have a clue, but I say take the time, rack your brain, and get beeped- but say anything
I don't see anything wrong with it. It's another sign of how savvy Matt is. He wanted to know if he'd said enough. Maybe following David Faber's glance.
If you've never heard of R.U.R., that context must seem pretty thin.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:11 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:55 am
If you've never heard of R.U.R., that context must seem pretty thin.
“R” + sentient being talking that is not mankind?
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:27 pm I got as far as "Astoria" (after discarding "Statler") but didn't manage the jump from "Astoria" to the correct response.
I was about to post the same thing! Ah-hah-hah (my best Statler impersonation). :lol:
Surprised it was a TS, given Waldorf as a big clue.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:55 am Does Matt have a friend at the judges table? Weird that he keeps looking over there for rulings, when he should only be looking at the board or the host.
I'm sure he's got as much guest host fatigue as the rest of us, if not more. He's probably just checking his responses with the people on the show that have been consistent during his run, not the revolving door of presenters.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

instaget FJ and rivers was out there

Happy about the Davey Lopes mention. :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't get Ben Sasse's state or the Saxophonist.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni