Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASIA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country became independent in 1946; in 1964 it officially switched its independence day from July 4 to June 12

Matt Amodio: 36000+16000=52000 (10x = $362,400)
Christina Leone: 9600+9600=19200
Harry Hannigan: 7200-7200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Philippines (Harry – Japan)

Daily Doubles
Christina: 3600+3600
Harry: 2400+2400
Matt: 13000+13000

Coryats
Matt: 24200
Christina: 6600
Harry: 6000

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 8600
Christina: 8400
Harry: 2000
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Not to step on FJ Guy's toes, but I have a comment:

FINAL JEOPARDY:

ASIA - This country became independent in 1946; in 1964 it officially switched its independence day from July 4 to June 12
Spoiler
What is the Philippines?
Result spoiler:
Spoiler
Matt wins again.
Myron's commentary:
Spoiler
I used to have a pretty good handle on general Asian 20th century history but now I'm almost guaranteed to mess them up. Philippines is '46, India is '47, Israel is '48. South Korea (my guess) is also '48.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Summary is in. Lunch first, then archiving, and later after that some game comments.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I have my father's license plate from this country, but darned if I can ever remember how to spell it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

How can you not laugh at the challengers FJ wagers?

Pretty interesting FJ clue in my opinion. Have to connect a few dots, but it’s all right there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

David threw in a funny, though old and corny, with the Egypt river add-on. :lol: I also like the chat crack about "not bitcoin".

This week has given me vibes of having Alex back for the first time since January or watching old games. A difference from Alex is David can be seen wielding a pencil

No one is perfect and I did not care for David accepting a correct response with just, "Uh-huh".

Matt sure loved getting the LoTR clue right (recalling a chat segment from early in his run) as that was about the happiest he's been seen on the show, going all the way up to level 2.5 or so.

To bust or not to bust? -itv vs. -ation had to be done for the financial clue and Matt needs to count better when a clue wants five words and not four like tossing money away trying to shorten his response to the Jack clue.

DD2's response got an okay and we'll see if that is fine as is or if the judges were leaning light.

JFK & LBJ are almost always fine unless a clue/categories specifies otherwise, so no surprise Matt took the shortcut on the guy Aretha knew.

I'll go ahead an embarrass myself: Is there some special reference to the J! category being TYPICAL JASON? Or was it just another way of presenting misc. clues?

The FJ! category helped make sure I did not do something silly like Liberia. Solving the clue correctly is another one for me when it's no crime to take more than 15 seconds. I worked it out in plenty of time.

Christine gave Matt a good contest in the J! round while Matt used DD3 to ultimate advantage. Change nothing else (a big ask) and even if Matt misses DD3 then he still leads 10000 to 9600 for the FJ! round.

A meaningless J! stat: No one in the history of the show has ever lost their 11th regular play game. Use a Faber pencil to write in Matt for playing on Thursday?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:51 pm I'll go ahead an embarrass myself: Is there some special reference to the J! category being TYPICAL JASON? Or was it just another way of presenting misc. clues?
Is it a variation on "OK Boomer" directed at Gen X or Gen Y? Jason was the top male name for a stretch, and Beyond Jennifer and Jason was a popular baby name book. Writers, get offa my lawn.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

David continues to impress, as does Matt. FJ took me a few seconds, but I had no doubt.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:01 pm Not to step on FJ Guy's toes, but I have a comment:

FINAL JEOPARDY:

ASIA - This country became independent in 1946; in 1964 it officially switched its independence day from July 4 to June 12
Spoiler
What is the Philippines?
Spoiler
I used to have a pretty good handle on general Asian 20th century history but now I'm almost guaranteed to mess them up. Philippines is '46, India is '47, Israel is '48. South Korea (my guess) is also '48.
Spoiler
July 4 is a yuuuuge hint that independence was from the U.S., so only the Philippines would fit.] :mrgreen:
Had montage for Role Call
Trash: load, Play, Polio
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A few countries went through my mind. Unfortunately, none of them were the correct one and had Pakistan. Better guess than Japan.

Matt’s habit of shortening burned him on all work no play. Other than that, an impressive showing in DJ. I don’t know if Christina was demoralized after DD3 or he just turned on the jets.

How often have we had all three players double up on a Daily Double in one game?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i had Philippines, then changed it. oops.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Interesting game...especially the J! round. I really thought Christina was going to give Matt a run in DJ, and she held on for a bit. Matt has some guts, going all-in for $13K on the DD in a category that to me, was not easy. What if had missed it?

I selected India for FJ...then, when the connection was made about the U.S. and July 4th, I facepalmed myself.

Good game!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Couldn't think of Commonwealth and wildly guessed Society.

Matt's $13,000 daily double was awesome. I was excited to see it.

I missed Pennsylvania and guessed Maryland. When did New Jersey move all the way over there? Also missed Buddhism and guessed Hinduism, missed Reformation and guessed Protestantism, which may have been acceptable, missed Queen of Soul and guessed Queen of R&B, missed twice daily with once daily.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are prospectus, Chain of Fools, Graham Norton, Dick Cavett, and Medea.

No idea if TYPICAL JASON is a reference to anything.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm When did New Jersey move all the way over there?
Where did you think it was?
davey

Post by davey »

I want to know why Christina's solo performer in her story needed the salt... Gargling? Serving popcorn to the audience :?:
I felt triumphant after yesterday's FJ and utterly defeated after this one... :roll: I couldn't think of an Asian country so closely associated with the US except South Vietnam or South Korea...My best excuse is I was trying to visualize the continent, not thinking about island nations...:oops:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I wonder how many other times in J! history all three contestants successfully converted a true Daily Double.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:50 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm When did New Jersey move all the way over there?
Where did you think it was?
A bit further left.

From Newark, to, the other Newark
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.