Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

Perv Griffin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:23 pm Perhaps the opportunity to say, "I came in second on Jeopardy! with $19,200" or "I came in last with $14,400" was worth more in pride than angling for the $1,000 difference.

Personally, I'd find it a little bit embarrassing to be fighting over the scraps instead of aiming high when it's a distinction without a difference, but you're certainly correct in pointing out that the consolation prize amounts are different.

I liked it much more than the "right" wagers.
triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm I've thought about that one, and for me the $1000 minus taxes difference is worth less than me being able to take a screenshot with me standing at the podium with the highest possible dollar amount.

Plus I could add to my total career losings that way...
Perv Griffin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:58 pm I don't mean to also speak for Wayne, but I think our views are similar in that the +/- $1k (pre-tax...) is less important than being able to put up a valiant effort in losing.

Fighting to the death and making guarded wagers over that $1k in what is already a losing effort would make me feel like more of a loser than simply going for broke in an effort to eke a more respectable final score against a wizard-level player like Matt. My pride (or perhaps it's my vanity?) is worth more than the $5-600 difference that prompted Golf to remark about how irresistibly funny s/he found Christina's and Harry's wagers to be.
These posts are talking about looking good or not wanting to fight for scraps to look bad or having a picture with a few thousand fake dollars more. But you're forgetting you already got your ass handed to you in front of millions of viewers. And you think you're going to fix that by making a rash wager? You're not, and you're just going to look foolish in the process. It's OK to get beat, everybody runs into a better player eventually. Beating yourself and throwing away money is a different matter.

This is a contest, it's a contestant to see who can win the most money. Style points do not count. If you can't win tens of thousand of dollar then you do your level best to win two thousand. That's how the game is played.

And yes, I know people play Jeopardy for different reasons other than money. As of matter of fact, the majority of contestants might feel that way. And that's exactly why we see so few superchamps. They don't care about winning, they don't even care enough to learn how to win. They are just happy to be there. And when we do see a contestant that wants and knows how to win, it's like taking candy from a baby. It's so easy. The other contestants just roll over and hand the win over without a fight.

Game shows/trivia games are easy, the rule sets are basic and easily exploitable. Yet so few take advantage, and it boggles my mind. That's why it's so fun to watch a player like this or James or Alex Jacob on J!. Or $2148 perfect bid Michael on TPIR. Or TPH on Wheel. There's so much free money out there and most just throw it away.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I had already won a game or two I might bet it all from second in a lock game. There is a non-zero chance the leader could make a math error. He could be figuring my doubled score and bet to get down to it if he is wrong and add a dollar to his wager instead of adding it. And if I get FJ wrong, it gives an extra thousand to a one and done player while I already have a nice check.

But if I were on this episode. I’m pretty sure Matt didn’t win this many games by being careless or stupid in his wagering. I’m treating FJ as a two player scenario and going for the $2000. A round trip plane ticket from Birmingham to LA plus hotel expenses isn’t cheap and $1000 minus taxes isn’t covering that.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:04 am These posts are talking about looking good or not wanting to fight for scraps to look bad or having a picture with a few thousand fake dollars more. But you're forgetting you already got your ass handed to you in front of millions of viewers. And you think you're going to fix that by making a rash wager? You're not, and you're just going to look foolish in the process. It's OK to get beat, everybody runs into a better player eventually. Beating yourself and throwing away money is a different matter.

This is a contest, it's a contestant to see who can win the most money. Style points do not count. If you can't win tens of thousand of dollar then you do your level best to win two thousand. That's how the game is played.

And yes, I know people play Jeopardy for different reasons other than money. As of matter of fact, the majority of contestants might feel that way. And that's exactly why we see so few superchamps. They don't care about winning, they don't even care enough to learn how to win. They are just happy to be there. And when we do see a contestant that wants and knows how to win, it's like taking candy from a baby. It's so easy. The other contestants just roll over and hand the win over without a fight.

Game shows/trivia games are easy, the rule sets are basic and easily exploitable. Yet so few take advantage, and it boggles my mind. That's why it's so fun to watch a player like this or James or Alex Jacob on J!. Or $2148 perfect bid Michael on TPIR. Or TPH on Wheel. There's so much free money out there and most just throw it away.
I'm not forgetting anything, and no, I don't think I'm "fixing" anything.

Are there ways to exploit game show rules. Sure there are, but not everyone can do it just because they have the plan to do it. It also takes circumstances.

As for the majority of contestants playing for reasons different than money, I'm sure that's true, but it is far from the reason we see so few superchamps. By your reasoning, if everyone played like a superchamp is supposed to play, everyone would automatically be a superchamp - well guess what, that just doesn't happen in the real world.

Do you seriously believe Andy Kravis didn't care about winning his Jeopardy tournament? He has an 89% lifetime get rate in Learned League, so he is certainly on par or above many of the players and even superchamps. There are these little things called buzzers, Daily Double placement, and wheelhouse categories. Too bad, according to you, he wasn't willing to exploit the rules and play like a superchamp to win.

The best I can find in a quick search is California taxes game show winnings at least 10%, so now that extra $2000 is $1800. The feds are going to take another $100 from me, so it's $1700. For the $1000, I would get $750. So I've now "lost" $950.

How much per year do you spend on cable TV you don't need? How much have you spent on a car vs. a motorcycle to get to work every year? We all make choices in life about what we value; and how much we are willing to pay for it.

If I do what I've said I would, I'm placing a $950 bet on getting something I want more than I already have; and it's $950 I didn't physically have in my pocket 30 minutes prior.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:20 pm
hansenkd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:15 pm How does anyone beat him? Christina did everything right for a while. It's astounding that after DD3, well into DJ, he would have STILL had a lead at the end of DJ even if he missed it. Hard to fathom. A miss should have ended him according to all conventional wisdom. It's only theoretical conjecture of course, but if he does miss, does he still have the mojo to rack up another ten large? Or does he let himself be defeated and demoralized? At any rate, it's illustrative of how formidable he is.
How does anyone beat him? Look at Zuffranieri 20: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6425
So...just barely keep him out of a runaway, bet the farm on FJ, get it right, and hope he misses. Still a lot of things out of the giant slayer's control on that one, but the main key was holding him out of the runaway by 700 bucks.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 am
If I do what I've said I would, I'm placing a $950 bet on getting something I want more than I already have; and it's $950 I didn't physically have in my pocket 30 minutes prior.
I'm not getting your math, but let's stipulate that a second place finish earns you an additional $750 after taxes. Would you risk that for a final score that's 100 points higher? 1,000? 5,000? 10,000? In any of those cases, you are trading real money for fictitious money. You may be happy with that outcome, but I don't understand why you would be. You may think it's an ego boost, but as has already been pointed out, you still lost.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

Golf wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:04 am
These posts are talking about looking good or not wanting to fight for scraps to look bad or having a picture with a few thousand fake dollars more. But you're forgetting you already got your ass handed to you in front of millions of viewers. And you think you're going to fix that by making a rash wager? You're not, and you're just going to look foolish in the process. It's OK to get beat, everybody runs into a better player eventually. Beating yourself and throwing away money is a different matter.

If this is how you explain "How can you not laugh at the challengers FJ wagers?" then our senses of humor are as different as our relative valuation of $6-700.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:29 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:45 am
I'm not getting your math, but let's stipulate that a second place finish earns you an additional $750 after taxes. Would you risk that for a final score that's 100 points higher? 1,000? 5,000? 10,000? In any of those cases, you are trading real money for fictitious money. You may be happy with that outcome, but I don't understand why you would be. You may think it's an ego boost, but as has already been pointed out, you still lost.
Maybe read the rest of what I wrote and you'll know why I'll be happy with that outcome; and you don't need to understand it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Talk Shows $1200 and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni