Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, August 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:53 pm I want to know why Christina's solo performer in her story needed the salt... Gargling? Serving popcorn to the audience :?:
I know! I thought that was going to be the crux of the entire story and then she just left us hanging.

FJ for me boiled down to "what country in Asia would have gained independence from the U.S. after WWII?"
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:53 pm I want to know why Christina's solo performer in her story needed the salt... Gargling? Serving popcorn to the audience :?:
My guess was gargle or neti pot.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm How can you not laugh at the challengers FJ wagers?
Pretty easily, particularly when they have no bearing on any outcome
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:46 pm 41R. 3/4 on big clues. Couldn't think of Commonwealth and wildly guessed Society.

Matt's $13,000 daily double was awesome. I was excited to see it.

I missed Pennsylvania and guessed Maryland.
I got Pennsylvania right away. Since they mentioned Delaware the question was about ratifying the constitution rather than joining the union under the Articles of Confederation a decade earlier. The reason I knew PA right away was that I'd just recently read about issues with a lack of quorum:
https://csac.history.wisc.edu/states-an ... vention/
When the members reassembled, they discovered that enough opponents of the Constitution had stayed away to prevent the necessary two-thirds quorum. The members present then adjourned until Saturday morning. ... When the Pennsylvania Assembly convened at 9:30 am, they still lacked a quorum. ... With the assistance of a mob, the officials forcibly returned James M’Calmont and Jacob Miley to the Assembly, and a quorum was then declared. Before the Assembly adjourned sine die that afternoon, it had voted for the election of delegates to be held on 6 November and for the Convention to meet in Philadelphia on 20 November 1787.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

You can see the wheels spinning with Matt on that DD. “I am beating her to the buzzer, so I can play it safe and PROBABLY have a lead, or I can try to put this thing away.” The guts it took to do that is not what we see from a typical player.

From the 3rd position, a TDD is all that made sense on DD2. He should have instantly searched for DD3 to keep it away from Matt and try to get even closer. He stuck to the same category instead.

Dave is awesome. I liked that he mentioned where Matt ranked. I know hosts are fed information but I do wonder how many of the guest hosts would have informed us on his ranking of all-time players.
Golf

Post by Golf »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:15 am
Golf wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:17 pm How can you not laugh at the challengers FJ wagers?
Pretty easily, particularly when they have no bearing on any outcome
Oh, there is no difference between $2k and $1k? Sorry, my mistake.

edit - fixed a quoted post that was somehow garbled. Encryption? I have no idea on that one.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

How does anyone beat him? Christina did everything right for a while. It's astounding that after DD3, well into DJ, he would have STILL had a lead at the end of DJ even if he missed it. Hard to fathom. A miss should have ended him according to all conventional wisdom. It's only theoretical conjecture of course, but if he does miss, does he still have the mojo to rack up another ten large? Or does he let himself be defeated and demoralized? At any rate, it's illustrative of how formidable he is.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:15 pm How does anyone beat him? Christina did everything right for a while. It's astounding that after DD3, well into DJ, he would have STILL had a lead at the end of DJ even if he missed it. Hard to fathom. A miss should have ended him according to all conventional wisdom. It's only theoretical conjecture of course, but if he does miss, does he still have the mojo to rack up another ten large? Or does he let himself be defeated and demoralized? At any rate, it's illustrative of how formidable he is.
How does anyone beat him? Look at Zuffranieri 20: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6425
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:56 am
Pretty easily, particularly when encryption they have no bearing on any outcome
What's this about encryption? I never said that.

Edit: speaking of things I never said, you might note that what came after the comma was not explicitly established to be in reference to this game.
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Dear Sir or Madam,
There is a difference. It's probably somewhere around $450.
Your Friends,
the IRS
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

Perhaps the opportunity to say, "I came in second on Jeopardy! with $19,200" or "I came in last with $14,400" was worth more in pride than angling for the $1,000 difference.

Personally, I'd find it a little bit embarrassing to be fighting over the scraps instead of aiming high when it's a distinction without a difference, but you're certainly correct in pointing out that the consolation prize amounts are different.

I liked it much more than the "right" wagers.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The answer is ... she didn't know. Just that the performer was 'legendarily quirky' and they didn't ask.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The money aside, I think it sounds better to have come in second, the total score doesn’t matter. Especially if you mention you lost to a superchamp like Matt. And the extra aftertax money is nice as well.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mahatma wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:43 pm
Dear Sir or Madam,
There is a difference. It's probably somewhere around $450.
Your Friends,
the IRS
Matt's about (well, 120+ days) to learn a cruel lesson in marginal tax brackets.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:00 pm
The answer is ... she didn't know. Just that the performer was 'legendarily quirky' and they didn't ask.
I'm going with summoning circle then.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Perv Griffin wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Perhaps the opportunity to say, "I came in second on Jeopardy! with $19,200" or "I came in last with $14,400" was worth more in pride than angling for the $1,000 difference.
I've thought about that one, and for me the $1000 minus taxes difference is worth less than me being able to take a screenshot with me standing at the podium with the highest possible dollar amount.

Plus I could add to my total career losings that way...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:01 pm

I've thought about that one, and for me the $1000 minus taxes difference is worth less than me being able to take a screenshot with me standing at the podium with the highest possible dollar amount.
So basically you'd prefer fake money over real money? I'll get out my Monopoly set and trade you.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Commonwealth (of Australia) was the ultimate softball, but I do appreciate the TDD.

This is about that time when I start rooting hard for the challengers. Little things get on my nerves, like constantly checking the scoreboard when the lock is more than assured.

Philippines! Instaget- make this guy work for it!
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm

So basically you'd prefer fake money over real money? I'll get out my Monopoly set and trade you.
I don't mean to also speak for Wayne, but I think our views are similar in that the +/- $1k (pre-tax...) is less important than being able to put up a valiant effort in losing.

Fighting to the death and making guarded wagers over that $1k in what is already a losing effort would make me feel like more of a loser than simply going for broke in an effort to eke a more respectable final score against a wizard-level player like Matt. My pride (or perhaps it's my vanity?) is worth more than the $5-600 difference that prompted Golf to remark about how irresistibly funny s/he found Christina's and Harry's wagers to be.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Yes, because that’s exactly what I said. :roll:
Total game show career losings = $171,522