Wednesday, April 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: Judges: I said "jaundice" instead of "yellow fever" for the J! round DD, is this good?
Nope. Two completely different things.

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

It seems odd to me that you could get away with the answer "Harding", for the 1920 first ladies question. I really thought they would ask for her first name. Most anyone could tell you it was Warren Hardings wife, but in that case, to me, that doesn't mean that you know the answer. When they read the question, my answer was Mrs. Warren Harding, but I wouldn't have buzzed in with that one.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Yes, I too was surprised they didn't need "Florence" either but I guess she was the only Mrs. Harding although certainly not the only womanin his life.

Best game in a while & the "Tonys?" with the shrug made md laugh. I saw the revival of La Cage & it was quite good. Sorry to see the champ lose so soon though.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Johnblue wrote:Yes, I too was surprised they didn't need "Florence" either but I guess she was the only Mrs. Harding although certainly not the only womanin his life.

Best game in a while & the "Tonys?" with the shrug made md laugh. I saw the revival of La Cage & it was quite good. Sorry to see the champ lose so soon though.
I was a bit surprised about not needing the first names for the First Ladies; otherwise, it's "name the last name of the President in office at the time that the clue asks for."

OTOH, I can also understand it not an issue unless multiple First Ladies are involved (e.g., Ellen Wilson vs. Edith Wilson). But, normally I'd assume they'd want the first name also, and that might slow down a contestant until they realize what the house rule is.

I'm slapping myself for not getting Final Jeopardy. For some reason, I was going back further, trying to think of something Currier-and-Ivesish. Maybe it was because we watched Easter Parade the other day, but I was also stuck on something that went with a rotogravure in an art movement.

OTOH, I did get the $2000 response for "Pierres" -- our older basset hound is named General Beauregard! :mrgreen:

jfan20
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jfan20 »

Hey all, there was a question that had to do with movies and the answer was 'Marlon Brando'. Anyone remember what the question was? Thanks for any help.

Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Johnblue wrote:Yes, I too was surprised they didn't need "Florence" either but I guess she was the only Mrs. Harding although certainly not the only woman in his life.
Harding consistantly had at least 3 or 4 women in his life during his marraige. Several long term affairs. I guess he was loyal to the women he had affairs with, if that makes any sense. A couple were Florence Hardings friends, and another was one of his friend's wife. There were rumors of orgies in the white house under Harding, but I don't think that has ever been proven, but some of his relationships were really goofy. His wife pretty much burned the majority of his personal papers after he died.

With modern politics, and the stuff that goes reported. A guy like Harding would probably not be national canidate material.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:AS USUAL, I CAN NEVER FREAKING REMEMBER WHAT IS IN WHICH DAKOTA ARRRGH WHY CAN I NEVER KEEP THE DAMN DAKOTAS STRAIGHT WHEN THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF THEM FGSFDS.
Living within 90 minutes of one of them, I'll give you (and everyone else) an easy hint: South Dakota is the one with Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, Deadwood, and Sturgis (famous for its motorcycle haven). North Dakota has absolutely nothing at all. :) (Well, I lie, the best food I have ever eaten anywhere is to be found at Paradisio's Mexican Restaurant, that seems to only have locations in ND, but my earlier Dakotas hint, while tongue-in-cheek, actually is close to the truth.)

Judges: I said "jaundice" instead of "yellow fever" for the J! round DD, is this good?
I always have trouble remembering which one Rushmore is in. Now I can keep in mind that North Dakota has nothing. Thanks for the hint!!!

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

jfan20 wrote:Hey all, there was a question that had to do with movies and the answer was 'Marlon Brando'. Anyone remember what the question was? Thanks for any help.

Yes, under the category of Actor/Directors they asked who directed One-Eyed Jacks in 1961.

jfan20
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jfan20 »

Johnblue wrote:
jfan20 wrote:Hey all, there was a question that had to do with movies and the answer was 'Marlon Brando'. Anyone remember what the question was? Thanks for any help.

Yes, under the category of Actor/Directors they asked who directed One-Eyed Jacks in 1961.
Thank you so much! :)

Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Great game!

General Beauregard was my proudest get during my first year of Scholastic Bowl in high school. I still remember the pleasure of buzzing in while all the boys on my team and all the boys on the other team just sat there puzzled. Even the judge was impressed.

TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

Miss Mellie wrote:General Beauregard was my proudest get during my first year of Scholastic Bowl in high school. I still remember the pleasure of buzzing in while all the boys on my team and all the boys on the other team just sat there puzzled. Even the judge was impressed.
Yeah, I loved the shout-out to my Great-Great-Great-Great-Great Uncle (or some such kin), but he would not have appreciated being a Triple Stumper. -- Ed Toutant

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:South Dakota's capital city of Pierre ("peer" BTW, not "pee-air") may be small (2nd smallest only behind Montpelier, VT), but what sort of metric is that?
Because I would think a state with nothing would have a capital with nothing (cf. Montpelier).
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Judges: I said "jaundice" instead of "yellow fever" for the J! round DD, is this good?
Very true. Yellow fever = mosquito-borne ailment. Jaundice = liver problems.

Never have seen yellow fever up close and personal (and I never hope to), but I have seen jaundice in a loved one. Very yellow skin and eyes. Scary yellow on a human.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Volante wrote:
Very true. Yellow fever = mosquito-borne ailment. Jaundice = liver problems.

Never have seen yellow fever up close and personal (and I never hope to), but I have seen jaundice in a loved one. Very yellow skin and eyes. Scary yellow on a human.
Jaundice just means you have too much bilirubin in your bloodstream. It's broken down into a yellowish pigment, hence the yellow color. Babies will also be jaundiced - it's a less a liver issue than just the fact that their type of hemoglobin is transitioning from a fetal form to an postnatal form. Types of anemia where blood cells are ruptured will also cause it. But, yes, liver disease is the leading cause, since the liver transforms the bilirubin into a form that you excrete.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can anyone tell me what was wrong with "embolism"? I really expected a reversal on that one. That neg definitely threw her for a loop.

Diverticulitis ... grrrrrrrrrrr.

Now that is the kind of FJ I like. It's not something I knew, but by putting the pieces together I was able to solve it. Nicely done on the writers' part. More of these, please!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, I like the "puzzle it out" FJs much better than "know it or don't" types.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote:Can anyone tell me what was wrong with "embolism"? I really expected a reversal on that one. That neg definitely threw her for a loop.

Diverticulitis ... grrrrrrrrrrr.

Now that is the kind of FJ I like. It's not something I knew, but by putting the pieces together I was able to solve it. Nicely done on the writers' part. More of these, please!
An embolism has to be moving through the bloodstream. Thus, it is not a thrombus, which is material that has built up at one point. A thrombus can BECOME an embolism if part of it breaks off and starts moving through the bloodstream.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote: North Dakota has absolutely nothing at all.
Including unemployment.

Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:AS USUAL, I CAN NEVER FREAKING REMEMBER WHAT IS IN WHICH DAKOTA ARRRGH WHY CAN I NEVER KEEP THE DAMN DAKOTAS STRAIGHT WHEN THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF THEM FGSFDS.
Living within 90 minutes of one of them, I'll give you (and everyone else) an easy hint: South Dakota is the one with Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, Deadwood, and Sturgis (famous for its motorcycle haven). North Dakota has absolutely nothing at all. :) (Well, I lie, the best food I have ever eaten anywhere is to be found at Paradisio's Mexican Restaurant, that seems to only have locations in ND, but my earlier Dakotas hint, while tongue-in-cheek, actually is close to the truth.)

Judges: I said "jaundice" instead of "yellow fever" for the J! round DD, is this good?
Having grown up in South Dakota, whenever someone asks me which is which, I respond "the one with all the stuff in it." And it has Taco John's.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Creed Bratton wrote:And it has Taco John's.
Sadly, Michigan does not. They pulled out their few locations in the 90s, returned a few years later with a single short-lived location in Benton Harbor (in a former Taco Bell no less!), and left again. I actually ate at that one en route to Illinois once.

I'll be going to Oshkosh in June, so Taco John's will be a priority stop for me there.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent