LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL Season 90

Post by alietr »

Oh, how the mighty defenseman has fallen! Last season, I had .857. So far this season, .688 (although that is much closer to my lifetime average).
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

It was an odd week for me in Foundry E Div 2. Only answered 7 questions correctly, but managed to go 1-1-3; however, I fell 6 spots in the standings during the week. Still, just 3 points out of the promotion zone.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Nine out of the 15 players I follow on my player tracker page got all six right yesterday. Granted I track some pretty heavy hitters.

I missed the verb question yesterday, but got the other five and the win.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm pretty sure -this- time I'm getting relegated... last season the only thing that saved me was an opportune forfeit. Just not keeping up with A rundle TCAs anymore. And I was so close to having as many A wins as C wins...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm I missed the verb question yesterday
Did that put you in a bad ... ummm .. what's the word ..?
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I was part of the 19% that said "spine" instead of "spinal cord"

Couldn't think of anything related to colour and monks besides chartreuse, even though I was sure they are a french order of monks. I even though to myself that it couldn't be related to Capuchins as they share a name with a monkey, not a colour. Didn't know that connection.

I'm now 0-4 in theatre this season. It's my lowest category by far. However I felt decent about my guess of "Newsies"
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 am I was part of the 19% that said "spine" instead of "spinal cord"
I don't know what % said "baby", but I was part of it. Got the others, though, so good day. Cappuccino will get my vote for favorite of the day, if somebody asks.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm I missed the verb question yesterday
Did that put you in a bad ... ummm .. what's the word ..?
Tone. A bad tone.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

For the second time this season, I worked to a 3(3)-3(1) tie on MD21. This was my third consecutive tie.

Theatre has not been a strong suit for me historically but I've done rather well in that category this season. I was helped on MD21 by it being a Stephen Sondheim clue. Angela Lansbury appeared in Sweeney Todd and A Little Night Music years ago, which led me to read more about Sondheim, and without having done the research, I wouldn't have known Follies. Unfortunately, that was the only clue my opponent got correct yesterday, and I was foolish enough to award him a 3 for it...since that was among his weakest categories.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 am I was part of the 19% that said "spine" instead of "spinal cord"

Couldn't think of anything related to colour and monks besides chartreuse, even though I was sure they are a french order of monks. I even though to myself that it couldn't be related to Capuchins as they share a name with a monkey, not a colour. Didn't know that connection.

I'm now 0-4 in theatre this season. It's my lowest category by far. However I felt decent about my guess of "Newsies"
I also answered "Newsies", with a low degree of confidence. At least it was better than my first guess, "Promises, Promises", which definitely was not a one-word title.

It took me a while to get to cappuccino because I saw the word "beverage" and immediately thought of Italian potent potables.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 am
I tripped over backwards and fell in to this one.

I figured the clothing was brown, and tried thinking of brown colored drinks. Came up with coffee and started thinking about Italian coffee. Cappucino came to mind, and I thought "cap"..."hood" a cap goes on your head...Cappucino! Wasn't sure I had it until I submitted the answer :D
Total game show career losings = $171,522
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My unluckiness continues. I now have the most CAA in my rundle by 5 questions, and have the second worst defense.

I lost 5(2)-6(3) yesterday, so the opportunity for a win was there with good defense. My opponent's profile showed them as current or former law student--at my Alma mater--so "writ" was the easy choice for the 0. But they missed it! They also missed OPEC but knew spinal cord.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought "writ" was the obvious zero pointer on defense yesterday, so was a bit surprised it wasn't even the easiest of the set. Curious what people put that got it wrong. I saw "habeas corpus" and that was a pavlov for "writ." mandamus and certiorari were just icing on the cake.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am I thought "writ" was the obvious zero pointer on defense yesterday, so was a bit surprised it wasn't even the easiest of the set. Curious what people put that got it wrong. I saw "habeas corpus" and that was a pavlov for "writ." mandamus and certiorari were just icing on the cake.
I shouldn't've given a Canadian a zero on that one no matter how smart she is. That backfired dramatically.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:03 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:56 am I thought "writ" was the obvious zero pointer on defense yesterday, so was a bit surprised it wasn't even the easiest of the set. Curious what people put that got it wrong. I saw "habeas corpus" and that was a pavlov for "writ." mandamus and certiorari were just icing on the cake.
I shouldn't've given a Canadian a zero on that one no matter how smart she is. That backfired dramatically.
Even though it didn't work, I wouldn't go that far. Writ of habeas corpus is a phrase I've seen in enough TV shows and movies, and is likely in popular books as well.

Unless this particular Canadian's TV and film scores are low...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Assassins is the second correct answer this season I got from Prisoner of Trebekistan.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lefty wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 am
I don't know what % said "baby", but I was part of it. Got the others, though, so good day. Cappuccino will get my vote for favorite of the day, if somebody asks.
So was I. Calling where the baby comes out a great hole sounds like a teenage boy kind of thing but I had nothing else.

I suspect one question yesterday was particularly painful to SaakJ.

I finally get into C and I have a TCA that would barely keep me in D. Will be glad when this season is over.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My two girls being obsessed with Shut Up and Fish paid off.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:56 am My two girls being obsessed with Shut Up and Fish paid off.
that one was a total guess for me, but outdoor activity for a country song, it just seemed like a good idea; although I did consider going for a BWA with "tractor pull"
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I found it interesting that 19% went with Cheers for 3 lead actresses, I could see why, but the negbait of Designing Women was my expectation.