LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL Season 90

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 am Woulda, coulda, shoulda had logorithims. Darnit.
One of the courses I teach is College Algebra...and maybe it was because I was answering questions shortly after waking up but I thought and thought about that but could not come up with logarithms; I said Index. Sadly, we spend an entire unit in our course working on logarithmic and exponential functions...so that was a BIG facepalm moment.
Yeah, I missed this one too. I put radical.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:25 pm
SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 am Woulda, coulda, shoulda had logorithims. Darnit.
One of the courses I teach is College Algebra...and maybe it was because I was answering questions shortly after waking up but I thought and thought about that but could not come up with logarithms; I said Index. Sadly, we spend an entire unit in our course working on logarithmic and exponential functions...so that was a BIG facepalm moment.
Yeah, I missed this one too. I put radical.
I so overthought that one. I was racking my brain trying to come with a name for the exponent in scientific notation. I knew the other part was the mantissa, but best I could think was ordinate. Combined with my brain cramp on TR, it led to my first 8(4) score since Rookie rundle
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:34 pm I so overthought that one. I was racking my brain trying to come with a name for the exponent in scientific notation. I knew the other part was the mantissa, but best I could think was ordinate. Combined with my brain cramp on TR, it led to my first 8(4) score since Rookie rundle
I had mantissa. I knew it wasn't quite right, but my brain refused to come up with anything else.

Would surprise me if I don't end up on the "lucky" list this season. I'm currently 15-6-2 and currently in 1st place in C Foundry 1. However, my 75 TCA is pretty much in the middle for that stat (#2 has 86 and #3 has 101) and what I expect is the biggest contributor to my position is my TCA is only 63, which is 28th (or 1st, however you want to look at it -- #2 has 71 and #3 has 87).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 am Because I couldn't name the Mark Hamill movie, but I could name the other three...I went with "Ford" :x
All I had as far as identifying the films alluded to was a hunch that the Clint Eastwood one was Gran Torino, so I answered "cars" which was enough.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:30 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 am Because I couldn't name the Mark Hamill movie, but I could name the other three...I went with "Ford" :x
All I had as far as identifying the films alluded to was a hunch that the Clint Eastwood one was Gran Torino, so I answered "cars" which was enough.
Exactly this for me.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I said coefficient to the math question which I felt was a good guess, by my own standards.

Andrew Dice Clay was my only point of entry to the movie question, though Gran Torino also rings a bell. It seems that as we remember one-hit wonders in music, we remember one-flop wonders in film.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Lefty wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:00 pm I said coefficient to the math question which I felt was a good guess, by my own standards.

Andrew Dice Clay was my only point of entry to the movie question, though Gran Torino also rings a bell. It seems that as we remember one-hit wonders in music, we remember one-flop wonders in film.
If only he wasn’t banned from MTV…
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BWA voting is open.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Well I am out of the relegation zone now and don't have to worry about being relegated as long as I don't forfeit on Monday, though I did benefit from a forfeit win on Friday. The only question that I missed was Beecher. I briefly considered that a brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe could be correct, but I went with Dickinson. I probably would have guessed "Stowe" though had I gone that route.

I got the other five. I was also surprised that "Appian Way" played so much easier than "wind." If I had saw the two league-wide get rates beforehand I would have thought for sure that they were reversed!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

alietr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:09 am BWA voting is open.
Is there a link where those of us who aren't eligible to vote can view the candidates? I feel like there used to be, but I can't find it anywhere.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:48 pm
Is there a link where those of us who aren't eligible to vote can view the candidates? I feel like there used to be, but I can't find it anywhere.
https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa

Meanwhile, I've punched my ticket back to B where I'm sure I'll feel much more relaxed...or at least more competitive. No CAA over 100 there yet while in A only the leader has 'given up' under 100 clues (which...COME ON! insult to injury...if only I had that strength of schedule...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

StevenH wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:02 pm Well I am out of the relegation zone now and don't have to worry about being relegated as long as I don't forfeit on Monday, though I did benefit from a forfeit win on Friday. The only question that I missed was Beecher. I briefly considered that a brother of Harriet Beecher Stowe could be correct, but I went with Dickinson. I probably would have guessed "Stowe" though had I gone that route.

I got the other five. I was also surprised that "Appian Way" played so much easier than "wind." If I had saw the two league-wide get rates beforehand I would have thought for sure that they were reversed!
I only know of one Roman road, but potentially lots of downward things.
How did you get "wind"? I know of adiabatic, acrobatic, and aerobatic things but have never come across "katabatic". I thought tornadoes and hurricanes, and decided on the latter.

I failed to RTFQ and answered Jimmy Walker. But I don't know if I could have pulled the name of the show. I pondered the Berlin/Munich dichotomy before remembering I was in Zurich and Bern in 2017. The "Financial" reference was pretty obvious as well.

Inexplicably, I've won 4 in a row to improve to 9-13-2 and 15th place with a 12 point MPD cushion on the only contender. I will stay in Taiga C d2 with the second worst TCA. My .735 DE is second best in the rundle and 100 points above my average. I feel like the little rodent hiding in the trees during the dinosaur extinction event (to eventually become mammals and dominate(?) the planet). Only the dinosaurs survive this time and will kick my ass in LL91. :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 am How did you get "wind"? I know of adiabatic, acrobatic, and aerobatic things but have never come across "katabatic". I thought tornadoes and hurricanes, and decided on the latter.
I thought I remembered (probably misremembered) that adiabatic expansion was part of the refrigeration cycle, and was expansion at constant pressure. Thinking katabatic had something to do with pressure, and decreasing pressure presages things like storms, I was thinking along the same lines as you (tornadoes, thunderstorms...), but thought the question was asking for something more general. Pressure changes drive winds, so that was where I ended up, with almost no confidence.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

mahatma wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:29 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 am How did you get "wind"? I know of adiabatic, acrobatic, and aerobatic things but have never come across "katabatic". I thought tornadoes and hurricanes, and decided on the latter.
I thought I remembered (probably misremembered) that adiabatic expansion was part of the refrigeration cycle, and was expansion at constant pressure. Thinking katabatic had something to do with pressure, and decreasing pressure presages things like storms, I was thinking along the same lines as you (tornadoes, thunderstorms...), but thought the question was asking for something more general. Pressure changes drive winds, so that was where I ended up, with almost no confidence.
You're close but a little off. An Adiabatic process is one without heat transfer. Refrigeration cycle is:

1-2: Isentropic compression
2-3: Constant pressure heat rejection (Condenser)
3-4: Adiabatic expansion in a throttling device
4-1: Constant pressure heat absorption (Evaporator)
https://wiki.ucl.ac.uk/display/MechEngT ... ion+Cycles

I figured it sounded close to catabolism and guessed digestion.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 am I pondered the Berlin/Munich dichotomy before remembering I was in Zurich and Bern in 2017. The "Financial" reference was pretty obvious as well.
Frankfurt am Main ("Mainhattan") is Germany's financial center. Only #5 population-wise.

I guessed gravity on the Katabatic question. I'm not sure it's a phenomenon, but I wouldn't mess with it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:31 am Frankfurt am Main ("Mainhattan") is Germany's financial center. Only #5 population-wise.
I used to spend a lot of time at the Frankfurt airport, but never once got to Frankfurt.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:56 am
Lefty wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:31 am Frankfurt am Main ("Mainhattan") is Germany's financial center. Only #5 population-wise.
I used to spend a lot of time at the Frankfurt airport, but never once got to Frankfurt.
TBH, you haven’t missed much. There is Goethehaus, which is mildly interesting, and in the 1970s they rebuilt the old medieval city center, which had been demolished by bombs in WW2 (thereby copying Munich’s great success in recreating the past).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:56 am
My one and only visit to Germany was a long layover at the Frankfurt airport.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:35 am
ouachiouat wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:48 pm
https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa
Thanks! Actually some pretty good candidates there; maybe one of the best slates I've seen before.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 am
I only know of one Roman road, but potentially lots of downward things.
How did you get "wind"? I know of adiabatic, acrobatic, and aerobatic things but have never come across "katabatic". I thought tornadoes and hurricanes, and decided on the latter.
Yes, I was also happy to at least be in the ballpark with my guess of "cold fronts."

How was "What's Happening!" not the MCWA for the "Good Times" question? I always get those two shows confused as the two prominent black sitcoms of the '70s.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.