LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL Season 90

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:55 pm But did you recognize the word on the reveal?
I know I've seen the word before but it wasn't ever something I would have come up with. Honestly, even if you had told me 'surface' was one of the words, I still don't think I would have got it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

A few people said the same thing on the LL board and I can relate: I knew "surfactant" immediately, but can't tell you exactly how I know the word.

Pulled my second straight six-pack yesterday after not getting a single one for the first 16 match days.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

my opponents art score is .238, so yeah, of course they snagged 3 points from me on that question
Total game show career losings = $171,522
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm my opponents art score is .238, so yeah, of course they snagged 3 points from me on that question
That's definitely an question where you don't want to assign much weight to the Commish's categorization. It could just as easily be considered a literature question, or a classical music question, or even a language question w/ the 'counterpoint to classic' TOM.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Delacroix was my in for getting the clue on romanticism.

Elvis was my first instinct on the pop music question, but 1959 seemed kind of early for him to have a compilation album released. I guessed Chuck Berry.

I won 5(4)-2(2) yesterday, but if I had suspected that this set would play as easy as it did I would have thought for sure that I had lost again. Blu-ray was the easy choice for the 0, but my opponent missed it. I was surprised to see all 5 of the other questions end up with higher than 50% get rates league-wide.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew Blu-Ray, but had a sense that it was one of those things that, as obvious as it was to me, might only be obvious in retrospect to many. I gave it a 2, and my opponent missed it. (My opponent's art percentage was in the middle of the pack and his classical music was at the low end, so I gave the 3 to Romantic, which ended up being his only other miss, sealing a perfect defense for me.)

Does anyone else remember hearing that there was experimentation/development going on with blue lasers in optical media well before Blu-Ray came out? At simply hearing the name "Blu-Ray" once the format was commercially introduced, I thought, "Oh, that must be the blue laser stuff coming to fruition." (So it was an easy question for me!)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

This season, I am leading my rundle in TCA. I am tied for the lead in CAA.

I am leading my rundle in DE at .833. I am second to last in OE at .214.

This is a formula for mediocrity.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:02 pm Does anyone else remember hearing that there was experimentation/development going on with blue lasers in optical media well before Blu-Ray came out? At simply hearing the name "Blu-Ray" once the format was commercially introduced, I thought, "Oh, that must be the blue laser stuff coming to fruition." (So it was an easy question for me!)
I don't remember that, but it did remind of this: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bewar ... the-green/
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Spent all my mental energy trying to come up with Blu-Ray and had no brain power left for the helix question
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm having a terrible season, but I did pick up my 250th career win and 27th six-pack yesterday. It's going to be a difficult climb out of the relegation zone. I don't want to go back to C.
Hoping for a third lap
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It's likely that I've heard of surfactant, but I wouldn't swear to it. I actually visited a laundromat that night, but there wasn't a lot of good laundry talk. Tamagotchi rang no bells at all, and looking it up, I don't recognize it. I wrote Pikachu because I remembered the name, but I was trying to pull the name of this character:
heythat'scheating.jpg
heythat'scheating.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Spoiler
Goomba the mushroomoid, from Super Mario Brothers. You probably knew that, but I knew him only as a stuffed fungus in my nephew's collection.
Of August: Osage County, I remembered the place but not the time. Dolley Madison was my only get on Tuesday. Mezzaluna was just about within reach, but when it's a matter of improving from one right to two right, it seems not to be in me to make the heroic effort.

Yesterday was better, but I overdefended Elvis because I guessed Jacques Brel. I thought the title suggested French record buyers.
I'm smart and I want respect.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Managed a 3(1)-3(3) tie on MD19; I got Atacama and was pretty surprised that less than 50% of Llamas got that one. For the TV question, I knew the host's last name was Noah but I couldn't remember his first name and put Joaquin, which was obviously incorrect.

I'm in the #17 slot in my rundle, tied with 2 others 3 points out of the promotion zone. Of the people ahead of me, 10 of them have at least 1 Forfeit win...and one dude has FOUR forfeit wins! Meanwhile, I am one of 16 out of 34 in the rundle who have not had the benefit of a forfeit win this season. The last place person has forfeited 14 times.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:29 am Managed a 3(1)-3(3) tie on MD19; I got Atacama and was pretty surprised that less than 50% of Llamas got that one. For the TV question, I knew the host's last name was Noah but I couldn't remember his first name and put Joaquin, which was obviously incorrect.

I'm in the #17 slot in my rundle, tied with 2 others 3 points out of the promotion zone. Of the people ahead of me, 10 of them have at least 1 Forfeit win...and one dude has FOUR forfeit wins! Meanwhile, I am one of 16 out of 34 in the rundle who have not had the benefit of a forfeit win this season. The last place person has forfeited 14 times.
I know it's tempting to put a first name, but never do that unless required.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am part of that 7% that missed Noah. I knew it was the host of The Daily Show and knew his first name was Trevor, but I couldn't recall the last name. I still would have lost, though.

The only famous person I could think of who died around the time specified in the Nicole question was Raul Julia, so I guessed Julia. I considered Diana but knew that her year of death was a few years too late.

My only get yesterday was Atacama. I am now 28th out of 30 in my rundle.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:29 am Managed a 3(1)-3(3) tie on MD19; I got Atacama and was pretty surprised that less than 50% of Llamas got that one. For the TV question, I knew the host's last name was Noah but I couldn't remember his first name and put Joaquin, which was obviously incorrect.
Just in case you might not realize it, you were almost certainly pulling the name of the NBA player Joakim Noah, son of French tennis star Yannick Noah.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I almost accidentally got the Kardashian question right. I decided she might be named after Anna Nicole Smith, considered Nicole sounded more appropriate for a middle name, but still said Anna.

I won ugly, 2(2)-0(1) thanks to "auto de fe" being accepted.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I haven't had much screen time to even keep up with the LL feedback, but am glad to see that nobody has spoiled the name of the middle name of the Jenner creature in this thread (yet):). My answer was "don't make me know this". Luckily it was the first question and I was able to scroll below it to see how my reveal went. I got credit for "Atacamba", which was an extraction from my deepest subconscious. I assume I've seen the term relating to lithium deposits or maybe the big telescope is down there.

As of yesterday there were four of us tied in Taiga C with 12 points in the relegation zone. Someone got a tie, so there are two players with 13 points and three with 12. Of the bottom five, only one will stay because of a four point gap to the next player. I lost 5(2) - 6(4) yesterday (Noah and Atacama) and could have got a Buckner win if I hadn't given the 3 for sable. I guessed 'ermine' with pretty good confidence. I have the edge in TPA, and 15-16 points might keep me in C for another waterboarding next season.

It's been a slow start but so far I've only booted a couple of easy clues. I completely ignored the question and answered 'toroid' for the helix question. Now I don't even think it's a thing (it is).

PSA - In order not to make people dumber with my posts:
Spoiler
Atacama Desert telescope
The Atacama Cosmology Telescope (ACT) is a six-meter diameter telescope located on Cerro Toco in the Atacama Desert in the north of Chile, near the Llano de Chajnantor Observatory.
Since 1980, two companies have been mining lithium in the Salar de Atacama, Chile’s largest salt flat, which holds a third of the world’s reserves of the mineral.
If the revolved figure is a circle, then the object is called a torus. The term toroid is also used to describe a toroidal polyhedron. ... The torus is an example of a toroid, which is the surface of a doughnut. Doughnuts are an example of a solid torus created by rotating a disk, and should not be confused with toroids.
(this one might make you dumber) :lol: :
is that stoat is , the ermine or short-tailed weasel, a mustelid native to eurasia and north america, distinguished from the least weasel by its larger size and longer tail with a prominent black tip while sable is a small carnivorous mammal of the old world that resembles a weasel, martes zibellina , from cold regions ..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I had the unusual occurrence yesterday of my opponent and me both assigning the same points to each question and both of us getting the same two questions wrong, resulting in a 4(4)-4(4) tie.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:12 am I almost accidentally got the Kardashian question right. I decided she might be named after Anna Nicole Smith, considered Nicole sounded more appropriate for a middle name, but still said Anna.
The only reason I got it correct was because of watching a movie or mini-series in the past few years regarding the OJ case and the connection to the Kardashians, and doing the math in the question lead me to Nicole.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:31 am

I know it's tempting to put a first name, but never do that unless required.
Yeah, I can't understand why he'd even chance it by putting a first name down.

I took a defensive loss yesterday 6(5)-7(5). I missed Auto da fe. When I came up with "trial by fire" I really thought I had it, too.