Monday, August 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, August 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

He was a bit loud, but I thought Joe did a good job.

I mentally crossed out Drake and put Magellan. That was a tough 50/50.

I took this picture of one of the boundary stones placed by Benjamin Banneker's surveying team that is only a few blocks from my house:

Boundary Stone NW6.jpg
Boundary Stone NW6.jpg (190.29 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

as one who spent a career doing tort and insurance defense, i can tell you that a greenstick fracture of the distal radius is one of the most frequent fractures sustained by infants.
take a moment or two to visualize the mechanics of how such an injury might occur.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I found this game incredibly tough, down to the Fj which left me unable to recall the first circumnavigator, and spending too much time thinking of penguins.... :oops: But Matt just moves right along so that even his misses don't matter...I wonder if he would have guessed "(The) Artist" if it hadn't already been brought to mind. I was especially impressed by his patella get...But then the other DD in that round was too easy...
Last edited by davey on Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:37 pm I remember Alex saying once that he had NHO "greenstick fracture" either. I got Lach Trash on it because I had seen the term in the comic strip Baby Blues, if I remember correctly.

Matt actually answered the question correctly so it wasn’t quite LT.

I thought Joe was a bit loud but then I realized I had the damned TV blasting because I got home late from pub trivia and had to cook a late meal. I don’t recall seeing Magellanic penguins in Antarctica 🇦🇶 but I did see a massive colony of them on one of the Falklands/Malvinas. They might be one of the taller breeds. I agree with those who are surprised by the poor competition. It reminds me of Julia Collins & jennings.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 4/4 on big clues. FJ took me the entire time but I managed to reread the important clue "southern South America" and got it.

Missed Wolf Hall and said Downton Abbey, also The Outsiders instead of Rumble Fish, Hannibal instead of Blacklist, and e instead of i (me/mi).

I was watching Just Shoot Me! before the game and missed the George Segal clue.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Calendar, Joanna Gaines, Atonement, greenstick, and Benjamin Banneker.

What's a cow's favorite Greek letter? Moo.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Golf

Post by Golf »

doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:48 pm @Golf how are you holding up? 😏
Hey, at least there’s at least one player per game that actually knows how to play. One more than usual. Pretty embarrassing though that 3rd place picked a top row clue to start out the DJ round.

As far as FJ goes, it’s always fun to recall when Magellan circumcised the Earth with his 100 foot clipper.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I'm not a sports guy, but I don't get the Joe Buck hatred. I liked him here. My biggest quibble about him is that there were a handful of awkward pauses because the players didn't realize Joe was done talking and he wanted them to select the next clue. This can be fixed in future games.

That was my best Coryat in almost four weeks, so either the game was easier than usual or my brain is sparking back to life.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

tddeveryday wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:44 pm I'm not a sports guy, but I don't get the Joe Buck hatred.
Probably the Oz effect. How he does as a host will be clouded by his day job
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:09 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:48 pm @Golf how are you holding up? 😏
Hey, at least there’s at least one player per game that actually knows how to play. One more than usual. Pretty embarrassing though that 3rd place picked a top row clue to start out the DJ round.

As far as FJ goes, it’s always fun to recall when Magellan circumcised the Earth with his 100 foot clipper.
Second place did make the proper FJ wager.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Joe Buck lived down to my expectations. Yes, he was too loud, and yes he was too bro for my tastes. TPH: night and day vs Buzzy AFAIC. I can’t help wondering just how much Matt affects these other contestants but it sure didn’t look good. Instaget FJ. First Europeans to round Cape Horn? Got it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:46 pm I played the clue as an explorers one and that led me to only one name.
I didn't and I paid for it. Never heard of a Magellanic penguin, so I guessed Adelie as the only name I could think of that sounded like it was named after someone.
Same here. Both my wife and I said Adelie. I almost crossed mine out and put Ross, but didn't. I was wrong either way.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Rough board for me.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Joe was fine. Mostly because he was being Joe Buck. He wasn’t overdoing it, wasn’t being someone he isn’t. I wouldn’t want him as permanent host but there is no way he would even want that with his schedule.

Heartbreaking miss for Matt. He overwhelmed the competition today. Some people like to simply bank most of what they have in his position - others, like him, go big.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

When Joe came out and started the show, I thought he was going to treat the game as a sporting event; he was quite loud but toned it down once gameplay started.

No answer for FJ...I guessed Emperor, which I knew wasn't correct.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm not watching the shows from vacation, and am just following the FJ's from the board here. I'm surprised that 35 messages into the daily thread there has been no comment about the $68K (or $34K, or whatever) money drop. That's got to be up there for shock and awe value.
Also, to be consistent, shouldn't someone comment that "Matt left $399 on the table"? :lol: If he had bet $15K or something we would be hearing about that silly table. Turns out you can knock money off that metaphorical table also :roll: . Matt is in position to play the long game so kudos to him for having the cajones to do it with what is actually real money.

I may have heard of Magellan Penguins, but I wasn't guessing on explorers because I want to think there is another named Penguin. Per the Google, there is a Humboldt Penguin, which I will claim as confusing me. The explorer logic was the way to go, even if it meant a WAG. Do we still have a best darn Penguin here?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alan tiger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 pm as one who spent a career doing tort and insurance defense, i can tell you that a greenstick fracture of the distal radius is one of the most frequent fractures sustained by infants.
take a moment or two to visualize the mechanics of how such an injury might occur.
My first thought was catching oneself from falling, but that's probably not the case with infants. The birth process? Being pulled by a parent?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:00 am
alan tiger wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 pm as one who spent a career doing tort and insurance defense, i can tell you that a greenstick fracture of the distal radius is one of the most frequent fractures sustained by infants.
My first thought was catching oneself from falling, but that's probably not the case with infants. The birth process? Being pulled by a parent?
My first thought was just awful.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:48 pm I felt dumb missing this FJ as I matched Matt's response. I should have paid more attention to the "first European" part as Magellan's circumnavigation was a good 60 years before Drake's. Looks like I'll be sadly checking that inevitable poll option over the weekend. Boo hiss...

I'll have to make a couple flashcards tonight as I've NHO Benjamin Banneker or a greenstick fracture.
(suggests resisting feeling "dumb")
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Yup. Spent a few years as an EMT/P in ERs and on ambulance crews. In most states, a greenstick (in any limb) of a pre-walking child is usually a mandatory reporting diagnosis.

Greensticks are more common than full fractures in kids under eight, and are one of the most common playground injuries in elementary school when kids fall and try to catch themselves. The long bones are surprisingly flexible while they're growing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.