Monday, August 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, August 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, August 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BEASTLY EPONYMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A penguin species found in southern South America is named for this 16th century man whose crew were the first from Europe to see them

Matt Amodio: 44400-34000=10400 (14x = $440,600)
Kristen Nagle: 1800-1799=1
Brian Cordova-Brookey: 5000-1399=3601

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Ferdinand) Magellan (Matt – Magellan Drake) (Kristen – Empire) (Brian – Amundsen)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 4400+4400
Matt: 18400+4000
Matt: 24000+2000

Coryats
Matt: 38200
Kristen: 1800
Brian: 5000

Combined: 45,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 14800
Kristen: 200
Brian: 1000
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The cards aligned nicely to have Matt and Joe on today with DD1 and for Matt to be able to talk of his 2016 W.S. memories.

Thank you writers for honoring Pops with the clue & photo of the late actor.

Thank you writers for giving Joe an at bat with an unusual-looking language in the clue.

With the NBC show having been on for 8 seasons I can both understand the top box placement and it going TS as it has hid on Friday nights for a portion of its run. Hard to imagine it's going into S9 and now with a major cast absence.

Joe gave the impression he has seen one of the "A" movies more than once. To me Joe's hosting style was close to how I thought Anderson Cooper was going to do in taking care of business while not taking himself too seriously. Instead Anderson was a little too tight with the proceedings and needed Kelly or Andy Cohen to loosen him up a bit.

Joe seemed quite relaxed hosting the show and I believe him when he has mentioned he watched the show as a fan. He called Matt the star and that was nice. Matt lived up to the billing until the end.

I wonder if Matt has gone for some big wagers in trying to help the charities or has only attempted the big bucks since the leeway is there? Whatever, that was a big ouch ending for today and especially with the unfortunate crossout.

For me I only wrote the correct name as I was not going to let any of the penguin stuff throw me. I played the clue as an explorers one and that led me to only one name.

These prior clues did not help me and fortunately I did not need them:
Spoiler

#7294, aired 2016-05-05 ALL ABOUT ANIMALS $2,000 (Daily Double): During their trip around S. America, Magellan's crew saw new creatures including this bird they called a black goose
#3939, aired 2001-10-18 HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 5 $600: (Sofia of the Clue Crew is at Sea World in San Diego.) Europeans learned about penguins from this Portuguese explorer, the namesake of these ---- penguins
Matt has passed Madden's 19x total and now it's onto the three bigger dogs. For victories, if Matt loses this week he will be the first to ever lose game 15 or 16 or 17 or 18.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Other than Matt, is anyone going to show up for the game?There is no doubt Matt is good, but c'mon. Give us a good game.

I'm not going to repeat what I said when challengers' FJ responses are revealed.

@Golf how are you holding up? 😏
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's Joe; here you go: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7116

And we'll see you tomorrow.
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

Got FJ without too much trouble today.

I propose that when archived, any comments from Joe should be in ALL CAPS to more accurately reflect his speech.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

William Bermudez wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:01 pm I propose that when archived, any comments from Joe should be in ALL CAPS to more accurately reflect his speech.
There was definitely a little bit of the carnival barker about him. However, I thought he seemed utterly at home and utterly in charge. I thought he elevated the mood. In a word, buoyant.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:46 pm I played the clue as an explorers one and that led me to only one name.
I didn't and I paid for it. Never heard of a Magellanic penguin, so I guessed Adelie as the only name I could think of that sounded like it was named after someone.

I thought Joe did a fine job, but as I've said before, I like Joe Buck.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Joe Buck was quite good. At first glance it seems that most of the controversy surrounding him is overstated.

No guess on FJ! NHO Magellan penguins so I was sunk here.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I played it as an explorer’s clue and came up with the two choices Matt had. Luckily, I picked the right one.

I thought Joe did OK, but his loud delivery would be hard to take on a regular basis. He’d need to tone it down.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Leander wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 pm I thought Joe did OK, but his loud delivery would be hard to take on a regular basis. He’d need to tone it down.
And yet none of you had that problem with Buzzy Cohen?!
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Joe was fine. There was some weird pauses, but I take that to editing. He's as usual, being eviscerated on Twitter, rather unfairly.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 pm I thought Joe did OK, but his loud delivery would be hard to take on a regular basis. He’d need to tone it down.
Eh? Joe - who I had never heard of before today - has two sound levels: shouty and shoutier. I never heard Buzzy raise his voice during his hosting weeks.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I felt dumb missing this FJ as I matched Matt's response. I should have paid more attention to the "first European" part as Magellan's circumnavigation was a good 60 years before Drake's. Looks like I'll be sadly checking that inevitable poll option over the weekend. Boo hiss...

I'll have to make a couple flashcards tonight as I've NHO Benjamin Banneker or a greenstick fracture.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:46 pm Eh? Joe - who I had never heard of before today - has two sound levels: shouty and shoutier. I never heard Buzzy raise his voice during his hosting weeks.
You never heard Buzzy raise his voice because he never lowered it either. During Buzzy's entire run, I felt like he was literally screaming every clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of that breed of penguin but I went with the right explorer.

Wasn’t that impressed with Joe. As others said, he shouted too much. Probably should have explained the M category.

I think Matt is using his big cushion to really cash in as he already has a huge check coming his way.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 pm
As I said at the time
DBear wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 pm
I thought Buzzy's New York mannerisms would be too much, but he has kept a lid on those while still being Buzzy. He has Ken's knowledge and unlike Ken, a voice for hosting. AFAIC, Buzzy has the job if he wants it. 8-)
I found Joe to have a bit of the "bro" personality, but not excessively so. Not getting the Haterade, but since it's probably the same Twittiots who somehow got the N-word out of "Dinger" (Rockies' mascot), :roll: that's almost certainly a good thing.

FJ was a WECIB for me. :mrgreen: Didn't consider Drake.

I don't see Sony being this quiet about Matt if he's still champion, so I'm thinking someone has to beat him, but the contestants lately haven't come close to challenging him. :?:
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Interesting. I'd never heard of "green stick" fracture, but apparently it's a bone that breaks like a green branch cracks when you bend it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I remember Alex saying once that he had NHO "greenstick fracture" either. I got Lach Trash on it because I had seen the term in the comic strip Baby Blues, if I remember correctly.