How Did Joe Buck Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Joe Buck on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best.

1%
No votes
No votes
1%
6%
3%
15%
35%
31%
7%

Total votes: 68

alietr
Site Admin

How Did Joe Buck Do as Host?

Post by alietr »

How do you think Joe Buck did as host?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: How Did Joe Buck Do as Host?

Post by triviawayne »

Really liked him and his style, except for it sounding like he’s yelling all the time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Joe Buck was a great capper after the ups and downs of this crazy season. He was very tuned in to his role, which I didn't really expect. Some of the previous hosts could've been officiating at a funeral or facing a firing squad, whereas "Bro" made me laugh out loud at some of his interjections--in a good way. I absolutely loved watching his week. He infused the game with a sense of fun in a very unique way, putting players at ease. Casual, but not sleepy. Informal, but not lax. Enthused, but not insincere. For his skills and for the entertainment value, he gets a ten from me.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

squarekara wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:54 am Joe Buck was a great capper after the ups and downs of this crazy season. He was very tuned in to his role, which I didn't really expect. Some of the previous hosts could've been officiating at a funeral or facing a firing squad, whereas "Bro" made me laugh out loud at some of his interjections--in a good way. I absolutely loved watching his week. He infused the game with a sense of fun in a very unique way, putting players at ease. Casual, but not sleepy. Informal, but not lax. Enthused, but not insincere. For his skills and for the entertainment value, he gets a ten from me.
I couldn’t put it any better than this, except the loudness of his voice was a bit wearing. I gave him a nine.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And for my final ranking:

David Faber 9.5
Ken 9
Buzzy 8.99
Joe 8.9
Mayim 8.8
Aaron 8.75
Robin 8.5
Anderson/Guthrie/Gupta 8.25
Katie/George 8
Dr. Oz 7.5
Mike 7
Bill 6.75
LeVar 6.5
yclept

Post by yclept »

Going in, I expected to give him a 5 or a 6.
Coming out, I give him a 9.
He was fantastic and brought a fun energy to the game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

8 from me as I could not quite justify going up to a 9.

The five games were all enjoyable and while I was always aware a guest host was running the show I was entertained throughout the week. Joe managed to make me overlook my dislike for him when doing football and baseball and treat his J! hosting as a separate entity.

This week appeared to me to have the contestants responding to Joe's energy in demonstrating the joy of being a contestant. It was a like a fun substitute teacher was in charge while the regular teacher was out.

It's been mentioned by others, and I agree, if Sports Jeopardy! ever gets revived and Dan Patrick is a pass, then go with Joe.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Like the poster above me, I didn't think Buck would be all that good... Au contraire!

He was terrific, one of my faves. Right up there with Mayim Bialik and Robin Roberts.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

The stentorian voice was a bit wearying, but everything else was terrific - a great end to the guest host carousel. He gets a solid 9 from me. I think Joe should be given a week every season!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I liked Joe Buck for what he was, which was a sportscaster doing Jeopardy!

If we still had Sports Jeopardy!, I would nominate him as the successor to Dan Patrick in a heartbeat.

He was clever and kind with the contestant interviews and the chummy portions of the game were a 10 under his portion of the interregnum. I'm not sure he struck the tone I'd like to see in a permanent host on the whole.

Whenever he faced the camera, it did leave me wondering if he had his nose broken at one point in his life.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Joe grew on me as the week went on. I really don't like him as a sportscaster. But I was pleasantly surprised at his performance hosting J! I wouldn't want him as the full time host - he's too loud too much of the time. But if they ever needed a guest host for another week, I'd be thrilled if TPTB invited him back.

I thought he did a really good job on the transitions to commercial. Dare I say he was better at that than Alex? Of course, that's a reflection of his day job, which requires such a toss to commercial many times each game. He also does a fair number of interviews, so there's a good familiarity with that.

On the down side, sometimes it felt like he was trying to be a play-by-play announcer for the game. And I felt like he was occasionally rooting for a player. Neither were terrible mistakes, more like personal annoyances to me.
--Peter
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

Count me among those who were pleasantly surprised. I strongly dislike him as a sports announcer, but I thought he did a great job. His "trying to knock things over with his voice" routine still reminded me of Loud Howard from Dilbert, but aside from that, I thought he struck a good tone, was adept at moving things along, and that he was among the best at the interview portion of the program - far better in my opinion than all of the journalist/interviewer types, save for Faber.

I suspect that there's less room for him to come across as if he's "showing off" or "big-timing" the viewer (that's the best - and most polite - way I can describe my usual dislike of him...) in a more scripted and formulaic role like Jeopardy! versus the more free-wheeling nature of a sports broadcast.
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't know the fella's work, and the initial blowhardy impression was overtaken by his enthusiasm. He had fun and it was catching. His look is almost as distinctive as Buzzy's. I kept thinking, is this guy 16 or 60?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I haven't voted on every candidate, but I gave some 9's (Buzzy, Katie, and George I think?) so I could "save" the 10 in case someone rocked it. (I think I've heard commentators say crap like that about figure skating judges or something). I have spent my 10 on Joe, but consider it a dead heat with the other two Caucasian Males. Ugh. I'd rather see LeVar get the gig and wait for him to grow into it because he matches them for charisma and is undoubtedly talented enough to develop the execution chops.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How did Joe do as host? How about as game show contestant?

Joe, his wife, 2 daughters and his sister were a losing team on Celebrity Family Feud thanks to twice having a chance to steal and Joe refusing to go with what would have been a correct answer from his daughters, instead going with his own answer that was wrong.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:53 pm I didn't know the fella's work, and the initial blowhardy impression was overtaken by his enthusiasm. He had fun and it was catching. His look is almost as distinctive as Buzzy's. I kept thinking, is this guy 16 or 60?
Yep. He wore me down and won me over. At first I thought he was a bit much. But by the middle of the week I was happy to have him back. By the end I was sad to see him go. He only had 5 games to turn me around and he totally did it. That's pretty quick work. Given time I could see him wearing out his welcome. But I'd love to see him again during Guest Host Month, which should totally become a thing.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Oops, forgot to vote in this poll until now.

For me, Joe was the funniest of all the guest hosts. He would make a solid permanent host, but he wasn't one of my favorites.

In the ranked list below, the 8s, 9s, and 10s are people I would love to see take over. LeVar was worse than I could've possibly anticipated, but even if he became permanent, I would continue watching the show just for the trivia and the writing. In the end, this is still Jeopardy! It's still one of my favorite things in the world. A bad host is not gonna make me quit.

Final rankings
Ken Jennings (10)
Anderson Cooper (9)
Dr. Oz (9)
David Faber (9)
Buzzy Cohen (8)
Savannah Guthrie (8)
Joe Buck (7)
Aaron Rodgers (7)
Robin Roberts (7)
Mike Richards (6)
George Stephanopoulos (5)