Mike Richards OUT as host

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

chucklesmcgee

Re: Mike Richards OUT as host

Post by chucklesmcgee »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 am Under the circumstances, I don't see the new host — whether it's Jennings, Bialik, Burton, Cohen, or ? — wanting to work with Richards. Once Sony settles on a permanent host, I expect we'll see a new EP at the helm very shortly.
I think that's a very reasonable thought. I wonder if there's anything contractual that'll have Sony keep him on.

In any event I would think Richards would be effectively neutered at this point as far as major changes to the show even if he remains as EP. I think any sort of shakeup would automatically fall under enhanced scrutiny for signs of some sort of retaliation against someone.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:38 pmtest
Received your test here at my phone.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Washington Post column on his ouster:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Unfortunately the writer completely lost her objective credibility with me when she said that LeVar Burton was "all around terrific" as a guest host.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:40 pm Unfortunately the writer completely lost her objective credibility with me when she said that LeVar Burton was "all around terrific" as a guest host.
It's weird. I've spoken with friends who are nightly watchers but still not more than casual fans. (They don't discuss the show on the Internet, e.g.) Among this set, no one detected LeVar's lack of preparation or other flaws. These folks thought he was great.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

georgespelvin wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:40 pm Unfortunately the writer completely lost her objective credibility with me when she said that LeVar Burton was "all around terrific" as a guest host.
She's an opinion columnist so that's her opinion!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Vulture: Inside the Jeopardy! Host-Hunting Meltdown Sony looked aside as an unknown EP crowned himself Alex Trebek’s replacement. How did this happen?

Harry Friedman denies that he was pushed out by a Mike-Richards-led cabal (instead, health issues led him to re-evaluate his work-life balance). He also says he was not consulted on the host selection process, and did not expect to be.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Glad to hear he wasn’t forced out, hope his health improves. But it certainly did look suspicious that he stepped down just before they were going to need a new host.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Xu Donym wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:45 am
ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:48 am I watched his shows; having to shoot them all in one day must have been difficult. The editing didn't do him any favors, either. I'd like to see Burton do a two-week stint as guest host so he gets a chance to settle into the role.
Burton is 64 years old. Was the story "We're looking for a younger host who can give us a 20-year run or more, like Alex?" just another lie concocted by the 46-year-old Richards? Or does it help explain why 45-year-old Bialik got her slot? If the age preference isn't just another Richards lie (as well as being all kinds of illegal if litigated by the right attorneys), then wouldn't the 47-year-old Jennings or even the 57-year-old Faber be light years as well as calendar years ahead of Burton as far as studio preference? Or 36-year-old Buzzy Cohen? And let's not forget 37-year-old Aaron Rodgers.

Yes, if there will be another rotating wheel of guest hosts, it's harmless to give the prior one-week guests another week or two. But if Burton is on anyone's short list of potential permanent hosts, they're not thinking clearly... which may be all the proof we need that Sony execs are thinking seriously about hiring him! :cry:
I didn't say anything about age. Did you mean to post your comment on someone else's post?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Not sure where to put this paparazzi footage of Drew Carey with Mike Richards (or if it has already been put up elsewhere.) Yeah, I feel sleazy about it, but to be honest, it's mainly so we can check out Drew's art car.
TMZ: Drew Carey Standing by Mike Richards After 'Jeopardy!' Downfall.
https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/16/drew-car ... ucer-host/
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:52 am Just hire Buzzy Cohen already. He did a great job with the ToC.

I agree. Not that they're counting my vote or anything....