TD 464 - Semi-Autobiographical Summers (Final Results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: TD 464 - Semi-Autobiographical Summers (Q4-5 Revealed)

Post by Woof »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:57 pm
threearruda wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:11 am 6.) 104 Days of Summer Vacation..

BONUS (-1): Congrats to Woof, whose scientific knowledge paid off enough to receive the bonus for longest word and a net score of zero for the question!

When I submitted my form, I was foolish enough to think that submersible might have a shot at earning the bonus. Well done, Woof!
Thanks. I simply thought of the longest words I could recall and then filtered them for the requisite letters. Decades of reading scientific articles finally pays dividends.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 464 - Semi-Autobiographical Summers (Q6-7 Revealed)

Post by threearruda »

8.) It’s Too Hot!

My bedroom is (in)conveniently the hottest in the house, and I often need an air conditioner to help me sleep during the summer months. Answer a question about hot and cold things.
  • A trip to Scusset Beach, on this Massachusetts peninsula, might help cool off swimmers on a hot day - Cape Cod
  • Walt Disney and Ted Williams are among those rumored to have had their heads frozen this way in se”c”ret locations after death, with an aim for life extension later on - Cryogenically (Cryopreservation)
  • Rounded to the nearest whole number, what’s the Farenheit temperature for absolute zero? - -460 (round up from -459.67)
  • What frosty two word term, sometimes affiliated with 7-11, is also called ice cream headache? - Brain Freeze
  • Idina Menzel’s Let It Go is the best-known song from this 2013 Disney film - Frozen
  • The Heat Miser and Snow Miser sing two memorable numbers in this 1974 Rankin/Bass Christmas movie, a personal favorite - The Year Without a Santa Claus
  • Jonquel Jones was a recent WNBA All-Star representing this New England based team - Connecticut Sun
  • This air conditioning giant’s name adorns Syracuse University’s multi-purpose athletic dome, but ironically had no air conditioning until recently - (Willis) Carrier
  • Which French king was known as the Sun King? - Louis XIV
  • She famously sang “Hot Stuff”, off her 1979 album Bad Girls - Donna Summer
  • Name the one-named singer of “Hot in Herre”, just because I had to include it in this section - Nelly
College sports fans flock to the sheep...

Incorrect - 10
Rackme32 (Frosty The Snowman)

Carrier - 5 (SHEEP!)
merica
Leander
heppm01
mahatma
AFRET CMS

Connecticut Sun - 2
Anotherclue
Ironhorse

The Year Without a Santa Claus - 2
Peachbox
Squarekara

Nelly - 2
MattKnowles
clprez

-460 - 2
Woof
cthulhu

Louis XIV - 2
econgator
beansandcornbread

Brain Freeze - SINGLETON!
Gamawire

Frozen - SINGLETON!
MarkBarrett

Donna Summer - SINGLETON!
SBurrus

Cryopreservation - SINGLETON!
Floridagator

DROP = 0
clt013

Unused
Cape Cod

9.) Back to School

The end of the summer brings forth a return to school for children. Answer a question pertaining to something I learned about or did each year in grades K-12.
  • Kindergarten: A unit on dinosaurs; this one with a long neck has a Greek name meaning “arm lizard” - Brachiosaurus
  • 1st Grade: Learned about Flag Day, which takes place in this month - June
  • 2nd Grade: Read about this World War II diarist and others associated with her, including Meep Gies and Peter van Pels - Anne Frank
  • 3rd Grade: Followed this famous Alaskan sled dog race, won that year by Lance Mackey - Iditarod
  • 4th Grade: Learned about the inner workings of a light bulb, including the filament and use of this element, #74 on the Periodic Table - Tungsten
  • 5th Grade: A unit on the Greek Gods and Goddesses, including this goddess of the underworld and the pomegranate's symbolism - Persephone
  • 6th Grade: Communicable diseases. Fill in “z”e blank: causes chickenpox, Varicella-______ - Zoster
  • 7th Grade: Won the school’s National Geographic Bee: I recall one question about the world’s highest tides, which occur in this North American bay - Bay of Fundy
  • 8th Grade: Visited Washington D.C. with a group representing Vermont in a national competition and met this U.S. senator, first elected in 1974 - Patrick Leahy
  • 9th Grade: Read, and acted out, this play set in Grover's Corners, New Hampshire - Our Town
  • 10th Grade: Learned about this awesome ability of plants to grow in the direction of a light source - Phototropism
  • 11th Grade: Pre-Calc time. In trigonometry, what is the reciprocal of sine? - Cosecant
  • 12th Grade: Analyzed and orated this Scotsman’s “A Red, Red Rose” in class; in a poorly done accent, no less - Robert Burns

Math draws the sheep this time..

Cosecant - 6 (SHEEP!)
MattKnowles
SBurrus
Woof
cthulhu
mahatma
econgator

Bay of Fundy - 4
Anotherclue
clt013
Floridagator
AFRET CMS

June - 3
merica
Gamawire
clprez

Iditarod - 2
Ironhorse
heppm01

Robert Burns - SINGLETON!
Leander

Anne Frank - SINGLETON!
Peachbox

Tungsten - SINGLETON!
squarekara

Phototropism - SINGLETON!
Rackme32

Persephone- SINGLETON!
beansandcornbread

DROP = 0
MarkBarrett

Unused
Brachiosaurus
Our Town
Patrick Leahy
Zoster

10.) The End

Because the quiz (.. and the summer :( ) is quickly approaching the end. Here are some questions about the ends of things, or things ending.
  • “If the World was Ending” was a 2020 chart hit for JP Saxe and this “Issues” songstress - Julia Michaels
  • “The End” was the thirteenth and final installment of this Lemony Snicket book series - A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • What CBS series, a reboot, aired its final episode on April 3, 2020 after a ten-year run? - Hawai’i Five-O
  • “The Rest is Silence” are the last words spoken by this titular Shakespeare character - Hamlet
  • This alliterative, colorful two-word phrase can be another term for sudden death in a soccer match - Golden Goal
  • Who wrote Howard’s End in 1910? - E.M. Forster
  • Smoke of what color announces that the search for a new pope has concluded? - White
  • This American composer and conductor, perhaps best known for his work on Broadway’s West Side Story, is mentioned by name in R.E.M.’s “It’s the End of the World as We Know It” - Leonard Bernstein
  • New British king Edward VIII’s reign ended almost as quickly as it began, abdicating the throne in 1936 to marry this socialite - Wallis Simpson
  • What’s the name for the tip of an umbrella? - Ferrule
  • Michigan’s Jake Butt is a fitting past winner of the Mackey Award, given to college football’s best at this position - Tight End
One more sports sheep, for good measure.

Golden Goal - 4 (SHEEP!)
Ironhorse
Woof
mahatma
econgator

Leonard Bernstein - 2
MattKnowles
Leander

E.M. Forster - 2
Peachbox
squarekara

Wallis Simpson - 2
clt013
AFRET CMS

Hawai’i Five-O - SINGLETON!
Floridagator

A Series of Unfortunate Events - SINGLETON!
MarkBarrett

Tight End - SINGLETON!
Anotherclue

White Smoke - SINGLETON!
beansandcornbread

Ferrule - SINGLETON!
cthulhu

DROP = 0 (I guess the drop is technically the sheep!? LOL)
Rackme32
SBurrus
merica
Gamawire
heppm01
clprez

Unused
Julia Michaels
Hamlet

Final Standings

21. AFRET CMS - 37 (-1)
20. mahatma - 35 (-5)
19. cthulhu - 32 (-2)
T-17. Gamawire - 31 (+4)
T-17. Leander - 31 (--)
T-15. beansandcornbread - 29 (+4)
T-15. Rackme32 - 29 (-8)
T-13. merica - 27 (-2)
T-13. Ironhorse - 27 (-2)

T-10. heppm01 - 26 (+1)
T-10. Anotherclue - 26 (+1)
T-10. clt013 - 26 (+5)
9. SBurrus - 25 (-2)
8. Floridagator - 24 (-1)
T-6. clprez - 23 (+1)
T-6. Woof - 23 (-3)
5. econgator - 22 (-4)

On the Podium...
T-3. MattKnowles - 21 (--)
T-3. Peachbox - 21 (+3)

2. MarkBarrett - 16 (+3)

And the TD 464 Champion….
1. squarekara - 15 (--)

Squarekara finished the game strong, scooping up one more singleton and a pair of two-pointers; a wire to wire leader this week, the last three questions were enough to fend off a late charge from MarkBarrett to collect (I believe) TD victory number six, per the Winners List. Congratulations! Kudos as well to Mark for silver, and Peachbox and MattKnowles for sharing the bronze.

My thanks to all of you for playing, I enjoyed hosting this week and am glad I finally got the chance to share last year’s handiwork. I’ve started drafting more before and after clues, so maybe I can spin those into a new game later this year or early next. Until then, thanks again and take care everyone!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: TD 464 - Semi-Autobiographical Summers (Final Results)

Post by squarekara »

Thanks for the TD, threearruda, and for the breathless daily commentary. Great feature of this week's reveals. I was nervous that all my fellow Pinky Tuscadero fans might come with me on the Snow/Heat Miser response. And, like Woof, my son was looking at yesterday's results and wondered why I couldn't come up with pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. (Please, I can't even remember where in the house I left my morning coffee!) Have a great Labor Day weekend, everybody. I'm headed for an Adirondack chair with a tub of superpremiumicecream!
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

Thanks for hosting!

Picking peppermint (I'm blaming Jennifer Garner as that word went unused in reference to her movie title a few TDs ago :) ) cost me a few spots, but no way I was catching the podium peeps. Congrats to the top finishers.

I should have another quiz ready to go the week of the 13th.

Have a great weekend!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks for hosting and well done Kara to stay in front even with my singleton, drop, singleton finish down the stretch.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Nine questions answered, five sheep, one almost-sheep. And a dropped question when I would have had singleton. I didn't know threearruda was as diabolical as that -- but thanks for hosting nonetheless.

And congrats to Kara and the other denizens of the podium. I'm not petty enough to hope for altitude nosebleeds as you mount the heights. I'm really not.

:P
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:16 pm Nine questions answered, five sheep, one almost-sheep. And a dropped question when I would have had singleton. I didn't know threearruda was as diabolical as that -- but thanks for hosting nonetheless.

And congrats to Kara and the other denizens of the podium. I'm not petty enough to hope for altitude nosebleeds as you mount the heights. I'm really not.

:P
You won too many games on J! It's all about winning just one. :)
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

Congratulations, squarekara, MarkBarrett, and my fellow bronze medalist, MattKnowles!

Also, squarekara, get outta my head :lol:

E.M. Forster - 2
Peachbox
squarekara

Peachbox
Squarekara
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:16 pm I didn't know threearruda was as diabolical as that -- but thanks for hosting nonetheless.
Bbwahahahahahah. :twisted:

In all seriousness, thank you all for the kind words, everyone. Considering the skill levels of the people who enter these games (J! prospective/contestants), my goal is always to create a challenge while keeping the game accessible. And of course, TD is an enigma, so that's a challenge within itself!

Putting these games together every once in a while is the least I can do for all of you to repay the hours of enjoyment I've gleaned from all the other TD games I've seen in my four years on the site.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Peachbox wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 am Also, squarekara, get outta my head :lol:
E.M. Forster - 2
Peachbox
squarekara
Peachbox
Squarekara
Hey, I've come to expect this phenomenon ever since we matched "Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland" years ago!