Will you watch the Mike Richards episodes?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Will you watch the week of September 13?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Of course. It’s Jeopardy!
88%
Will try to see if I can stand him
11%
Not a chance
1%
Only if they edit in a different host
No votes

Total votes: 95

mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Will you watch the Mike Richards episodes?

Post by mikebdoss »

RougeGod wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:02 pm If I can figure out a (preferably legal) way to watch them without cable, then I will gladly watch them. As others have said, I watch for the game, not the host.
Do you live near a major city? Jeopardy is available over-the-air with an antenna in almost every market.
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mikebdoss »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 pm I doubt whatever turmoil existed in the studio on Thursday had any impact on Matt.

I will again say the show should make a deal with a hotel to put players up for free in exchange for an on air plug.
The show brings in many millions of dollars a year in revenue. I don't think they need to swap a plug for rooms (especially if other advertisers have guaranteed rates that would be jeopardized by the show doing that).
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:34 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:43 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:21 pm pay $3K/$2K for the 2nd/3rd
For 2nd, $3K or actual score, whichever is higher

For 3rd, $2K or actual score, whichever is higher
I'd personally be fine with bumping the 2nd- & 3rd-place payouts to $3K & $2K, respectively, so that the non-winning contestants are more able to afford the cost of their trip to L.A. for the taping, but I feel like allowing non-winning contestants to keep all of their winnings in the event that they win more than the consolation prizes would risk disincentivizing attempting to win, insofar as contestants may be less likely to make bigger DD & FJ bets in order to take the lead.
As Golf has alluded to, there is some ancient history demonstrating that gameplay is severely affected if you keep your game score. I recall reading about a player who had won enough to buy a boat, and just sat on his buzzer the rest of the game. The game needs to be played as if it is house money until a player reaches a lock total.

At least the show doesn't give the crap prizes of the past and offers a little expense money. It just needs to be increased - 3 days off work plus travel/lodging should be a $2K reimbursement. The players are subsidizing the show and that's just bogus.

Sorry for the detour on the thread, but just how much more oxygen do we need to waste on Mike Richards?
I appreciate you elaborating.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:34 pm Sorry for the detour on the thread, but just how much more oxygen do we need to waste on Mike Richards?
As the old saying goes, everything has been said, but not everybody has said it.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:44 am
RougeGod wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:02 pm If I can figure out a (preferably legal) way to watch them without cable, then I will gladly watch them. As others have said, I watch for the game, not the host.
Do you live near a major city? Jeopardy is available over-the-air with an antenna in almost every market.
That has changed since the move to digital. The piece that doesn't get much attention is that with the new carriage fees from cable, broadcasters have incentive not to broadcast. But since that will result in the loss of their license, they have greatly reduced the strength of their transmission towers instead.

In the "old" analog days, that would mean more snow. But with digital, you either get enough signal or you don't. We're less than 40 miles from the towers, on a hill, and we're lucky to pick up one station, but not during the day.

Since I've cut the cord and have no interest in getting 500 channels I'll never watch, the options are either to spend about $1,000 for a rooftop antenna that our neighborhood (and really, us as well) would hate or something specific with streaming. For now, it's Locast, but the legality of the service is in question and the courts could shut it down soon.

We're at a point in television history where there is and will be enormous change, even from year to year. Since most kids simply don't watch television (youtube, tiktok, whatever the vapid alternative-du-jour may be), the whole model may soon change.
radioinsomnia
Contributor

Post by radioinsomnia »

Retransmission consent has been around a lot longer than digital television, so it's hardly "new," and most TV broadcasters have not reduced their power. I can point to several for whom the FCC has allowed an increase in power over their old analog signals. The "digital cliff" is real, and there's more potential for interference with DTV. But if you don't want a rooftop antenna (mine cost about $400 installed), that's obviously your call.

The syndication model is outdated. I hope Jeopardy will eventually figure out a streaming model, but I fear it will be a while yet since the broadcasters and syndicators have little incentive to move away from the current arrangement.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

What's new is the dependence on that revenue, which has grown from nothing in a very short amount of time. It's a game-changer, and why you need rooftop antennas in places where a small set-top antenna used to work.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mikebdoss wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:47 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 pm I doubt whatever turmoil existed in the studio on Thursday had any impact on Matt.

I will again say the show should make a deal with a hotel to put players up for free in exchange for an on air plug.
The show brings in many millions of dollars a year in revenue. I don't think they need to swap a plug for rooms (especially if other advertisers have guaranteed rates that would be jeopardized by the show doing that).
Good point. Screw the players who are already paying for travel costs to be on the show. Who needs them?
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mikebdoss »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:55 pm

Good point. Screw the players who are already paying for travel costs to be on the show. Who needs them?
I was implying that the show can (and should) pay for the rooms and travel expenses themselves for all inconvenienced contestants. Honestly, the show should pay for every contestant's hotel and travel.
mikebdoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mikebdoss »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:25 pm What's new is the dependence on that revenue, which has grown from nothing in a very short amount of time. It's a game-changer, and why you need rooftop antennas in places where a small set-top antenna used to work.
That hasn't been my experience in the Los Angeles area, at all. With Digital (if you include the sub channels), I get ~115 channels, 25 or so in HD (last time I counted), and a bit more than half in English. I could get that with my roof-mounted, 30-year-old aerial antenna with sun-charred coax. I get the same now in my new house with a $30 tiny aerial mounted at 8 feet.

I guess we're just saturated with signal here.
davey

Post by davey »

mikebdoss wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am

I was implying that the show can (and should) pay for the rooms and travel expenses themselves for all inconvenienced contestants. Honestly, the show should pay for every contestant's hotel and travel.
But what do you mean by "other advertisers"? If J! gets free rooms for a "promotional announcement," how are other advertisers affected?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mikebdoss wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am

Apologies for misunderstanding. I was just thinking of a way they could put people up without Sony having to pay for it. A hotel would be simple as everyone is at the same place. Airfare would be trickier.
Xu Donym
Valued Contributor

Post by Xu Donym »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 am
mikebdoss wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am I was implying that the show can (and should) pay for the rooms and travel expenses themselves for all inconvenienced contestants. Honestly, the show should pay for every contestant's hotel and travel.
Apologies for misunderstanding. I was just thinking of a way they could put people up without Sony having to pay for it. A hotel would be simple as everyone is at the same place. Airfare would be trickier.
We've all heard that the Sony/Jeopardy! bigwigs want to widen the contestant pool. Well, they would greatly widen the contestant pool if Sony were to announce widely not just "We're making J! auditions widely available" but also "If you're called, we'll pay for your coach airfare and put you in a three-star hotel room, and provide free transport to and from each taping."

The added cost of taking care of contestant travel would almost certainly be less each year than the difference between Alex Trebek's annual salary and whatever his replacement(s) may now be making.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:42 am We've all heard that the Sony/Jeopardy! bigwigs want to widen the contestant pool. Well, they would greatly widen the contestant pool if Sony were to announce widely not just "We're making J! auditions widely available" but also "If you're called, we'll pay for your coach airfare and put you in a three-star hotel room, and provide free transport to and from each taping."
I think that would have a minimal impact at best.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:42 am
mikebdoss wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am I was implying that the show can (and should) pay for the rooms and travel expenses themselves for all inconvenienced contestants. Honestly, the show should pay for every contestant's hotel and travel.
We've all heard that the Sony/Jeopardy! bigwigs want to widen the contestant pool. Well, they would greatly widen the contestant pool if Sony were to announce widely not just "We're making J! auditions widely available" but also "If you're called, we'll pay for your coach airfare and put you in a three-star hotel room, and provide free transport to and from each taping."

The added cost of taking care of contestant travel would almost certainly be less each year than the difference between Alex Trebek's annual salary and whatever his replacement(s) may now be making.
The original Who Wants to be a Millionaire? did that - they paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" for their contestants. But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money - indeed it was likely that of the ten hopefuls only two or three would make it to the hot seat.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm

The original Who Wants to be a Millionaire? did that - they paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" for their contestants. But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money - indeed it was likely that of the ten hopefuls only two or three would make it to the hot seat.
Didn't WWTBAM call people to be on the show and have them taping the same week? Plus WWTBAM was a network prime time show with a bigger budget.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm

Wasn't there a short window between notification that you were chosen and your appearance? Like, days? Another reason why it made sense for the show to make travel arrangements....
Golf

Post by Golf »

I did my 2nd round phone game on a Wednesday afternoon. Got the call that evening and was on a plane Monday to tape on Tuesday. My show aired the following Tuesday.

Flight and hotel paid for including black Lincoln transport each way to LGA. $50 a day in per diem.

But as already stated, unlike WWTBAM, Jeopardy has a $1000 minimum so it’s close to a wash.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm Who Wants to be a Millionaire? ... paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" ... But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money
No guarantee you will win money on Jeopardy! either
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:26 pm
earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm Who Wants to be a Millionaire? ... paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" ... But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money
No guarantee you will win money on Jeopardy! either
Are contestants not at least guaranteed the $1K 3rd-place consolation prize, provided they don’t violate their NDA?