New Members? Reddit Post

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

New Members? Reddit Post

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Reddit this thread caught my eye:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: New Members? Reddit Post

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:57 pm On Reddit this thread caught my eye:
This applies to previously registered members who forgot their password or whose accounts were inactive for a time. My husband can't get back in. What's the procedure?

I, for one, want some firsthand dirt from this season's tapings, and I don't do Reddit. (Well, there was one time.) Lets get these new folks on board!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 pm I, for one, want some firsthand dirt from this season's tapings, and I don't do Reddit. (Well, there was one time.)
"And let us never speak of it again" I take it?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:06 pm I, for one, want some firsthand dirt from this season's tapings, and I don't do Reddit. (Well, there was one time.)
"And let us never speak of it again" I take it?
Lets just say I "clapped back."
tddeveryday
Valued Contributor

Post by tddeveryday »

I've noticed this. Personally, I love the JBoard the way it currently operates.

Forgive the mini-rant, but it feels to me like comments sections have gotten dumber in only the past 3-5 years. This applies not just here and Reddit, but also Twitter, Andy's blog, and other message boards. It's not about age. It feels like we are collectively dumber now than we were five years ago. Or maybe the young people of today are dumber than the young people of five years ago. I don't know.

(ETA: Here's an example: Whenever I stumble on a oldish online conversation, let's say three years ago or older, I'm usually stunned by how much more intelligent the exchange seems compared to the online conversations we see today. In Andy's comments section, conversations about the 2017 ToC seemed a lot more intelligent and insightful than the conversations about the 2019 ToC, for example. I also occasionally visit a non-trivia-related self-improvement forum that's been around since maybe 2002. There, too, you can see a significant difference in discourse. In the early years, the best users were excited to present new solutions to problems and try to top each other with even better solutions than what we'd seen so far, whereas the posts of the past three years mostly come from newbies who are just trying to follow the formulas of the past to the letter instead experimenting like the old-school users did. It's depressing to see the discourse deteriorate pretty much everywhere on the internet.)

That's my way of saying I'm a little apprehensive about the idea of new people joining this board, even though I don't think there was ever an official policy about putting a moratorium on new users to begin with.
Last edited by tddeveryday on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

I had a similar problem when I forgot my password. I tried emailing to get it reset and never got a response. I actually wondered if I had done something to render myself persona non grata. Then I somehow guessed it.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
Xu Donym
Valued Contributor

Post by Xu Donym »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:57 pm Whenever I stumble on a oldish online conversation, let's say three years ago or older, I'm usually stunned by how much more intelligent the exchange seems compared to the online conversations we see today. In Andy's comments section, conversations about the 2017 ToC seemed a lot more intelligent and insightful than the conversations about the 2019 ToC, for example.
I could ask you whether you have noticed, as I have, a similar phenomenon of decline in the overall tenor and presentation of Jeopardy! clues during the same time period. But, instead, keeping in the spirit of your comment, I'm going to say that we are probably just a couple of stuffy poopy-heads!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's nothing sinister. It's just that the e-mail server doesn't work and so the e-mails never get sent out. Every time I try to fix it, I spend a day Googling and trying quasi-random linux commands and config file changes without success. If anyone is a whiz with e-mail servers, please message me. If you want to post to JBoard, message me your username (through some other forum, obvs.) and I will activate it.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I was raised on Wacky Wafers, The World of Sid and Marty Krofft, and paperback novelizations of ABC Afterschool Specials. Who am I to judge the potential of new Boardies? Somebody get ahold of the Reddit poster and hook 'em up.
Golf

Post by Golf »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:57 pm I've noticed this. Personally, I love the JBoard the way it currently operates.

Forgive the mini-rant, but it feels to me like comments sections have gotten dumber in only the past 3-5 years. This applies not just here and Reddit, but also Twitter, Andy's blog, and other message boards. It's not about age. It feels like we are collectively dumber now than we were five years ago. Or maybe the young people of today are dumber than the young people of five years ago. I don't know.

(ETA: Here's an example: Whenever I stumble on a oldish online conversation, let's say three years ago or older, I'm usually stunned by how much more intelligent the exchange seems compared to the online conversations we see today. In Andy's comments section, conversations about the 2017 ToC seemed a lot more intelligent and insightful than the conversations about the 2019 ToC, for example. I also occasionally visit a non-trivia-related self-improvement forum that's been around since maybe 2002. There, too, you can see a significant difference in discourse. In the early years, the best users were excited to present new solutions to problems and try to top each other with even better solutions than what we'd seen so far, whereas the posts of the past three years mostly come from newbies who are just trying to follow the formulas of the past to the letter instead experimenting like the old-school users did. It's depressing to see the discourse deteriorate pretty much everywhere on the internet.)

That's my way of saying I'm a little apprehensive about the idea of new people joining this board, even though I don't think there was ever an official policy about putting a moratorium on new users to begin with.
Most active members here joined 10 years ago when the Sony board went kaput. You joined in 2019 and only have 60 posts. Should the rest of us look at you with disdain because you’re a newbie?
tddeveryday
Valued Contributor

Post by tddeveryday »

Golf wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 pm Most active members here joined 10 years ago when the Sony board went kaput. You joined in 2019 and only have 60 posts. Should the rest of us look at you with disdain because you’re a newbie?
No, because I am the only exception to the rule. :)

If my post is offensive to anyone, I'll gladly edit it. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
tddeveryday
Valued Contributor

Post by tddeveryday »

Xu Donym wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:38 pm I could ask you whether you have noticed, as I have, a similar phenomenon of decline in the overall tenor and presentation of Jeopardy! clues during the same time period. But, instead, keeping in the spirit of your comment, I'm going to say that we are probably just a couple of stuffy poopy-heads!
I've seen the complaints here, but personally I've noticed no drop in writing quality in the past season. In fact, the series of guest hosts made me appreciate the writing a lot more than I had before. Even if I hate the permanent host, whoever it may be, Jeopardy! is still worth watching just for the excellent writing.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 pm Most active members here joined 10 years ago when the Sony board went kaput. You joined in 2019 and only have 60 posts. Should the rest of us look at you with disdain because you’re a newbie?

If my post is offensive to anyone, I'll gladly edit it. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
Most of these guys don't even have feathers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The golden age is always some years back. To me, the golden age of this forum (counting its predecessor) is 2001-2004. So many great players of the past contributed. Many formative discussions on wagering strategy and lingo. The early beginnings of show archiving. The best recaps that have ever been written. Many regular participants who have in the years since presumably found avocations other than yammering about Jeopardy! and related esoterica. A few, sadly, have passed on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And yet, the occasional spammer gets through. I'm putting up a new pinned post. Maybe that will help until the email situation finally (ever) gets figured out.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Haha, I've been locked out of my account for almost 2 years now and finally managed to guess the right password this morning after reading this post!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:54 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Most of these guys don't even have feathers.
Dang! Good one penguin.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!