Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:10 pm
Spoiler
Is the Final Jeopardy! think cue the same one used since 10/13/2008?
Spoiler
You don't need to spoilerize that.

I like how the category name remains on the screen at all times during the Think music.

I did consider Providence and Pennsylvania, but settled on just Rhode Island.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 pm Way to keep the mojo flowing, Matt, especially with all the VIPs in attendance!
tddeveryday wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:10 pm I was surprised by how much I liked Mike today. I was expecting to hate him and take pleasure in his pain. But no. I felt bad for him. Even though you could see flashes of discomfort on his face here and there, he actually did a pretty good job of bringing some charisma to the table.
Don't forget about Ken and Buzzy shoved inhospitably into the cloakroom.
In their honor, that room will be renamed The Cupboard under the Stairs. We'll see a clip of the dedication in a future game.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:31 pm I like how the category name remains on the screen at all times during the Think music.

I did consider Providence and Pennsylvania, but settled on just Rhode Island.
Thumbs up for the onscreen FJ category name. Next step is to do that for DDs as well.

I waffled between Rhode Island and Pennsylvania. Finally went with Rhode Island and felt like I'd clinched it for Pennsylvania. But this was the 10% sample in the dreaded 50/50/90 scenario.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

For me, religious freedom + colony = Pennsylvania. Luckily, I know the fact about synagogue.

Didn't know about Georgia either.

C'mon Amdé - starting DJ with top row clues?
Matt was never threatened and going by the promos, i won't be surprised if he swept the week.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goongas

Post by goongas »

I said Providence for the final. I wish they said which colony..,
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The category was The 13 Colonies so I assumed they wanted a colony and I picked the right one.

I also thought Mike did a good job today.

Matt keeps rolling along.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

ETA: Great to be back for the new season as always!
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:53 pm
Mike's hosting seemed the same to me as his first go around and he was introduced as host.
Style-wise, yes. But he felt.. laconic? low energy? Definitely sounded, to my ears, about two tones down from his energy in February. This, of course, makes sense given all the details surrounding the tape day that have since emerged. It just sounded like his mind was elsewhere, or that he knew the jig was up.

I'm cool with the new music but cannot shake this feeling that I should be entering a nightclub or a dubstep concert; the new music on Wheel gave a similar vibe, I thought. I'm sure my ears will adjust after a few days.

Congrats to Matt for not missing a beat after a long layoff.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

We visited the Touro Synagogue in Newport, so I got the answer quickly. George Washington famously sent a letter to the Jewish community of Newport to assure them that they were safe in America.
https://www.tourosynagogue.org/history- ... /gw-letter
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I can't say how difficult FJ would be for somebody not from Rhode Island because I grew up there. What I can say is Touro Synagogue is super famous to everyone in Rhode Island as the oldest synagogue in the country. Many schools take field trips there to tour it and view George Washington's religious freedom letter.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

To me other colonies may have had religious freedom as a bonus, but Roger Williams & RI seem to be specifically founded for religious freedom. :mrgreen:
Will post a more complete summary once the game is archived.
Not feeling the expected schadenfreude.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I think they did something with the set, because I noticed during the interview that ms. Kim was having to turn very sharply to her right. She was a super energetic contestant but she made too many Wags. Not a competitor for Matt.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since my graduation ceremony was in the First Baptist Church (and was well aware of the synagogue), I had no trouble with this FJ.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Interesting set effect as the background curtains turned to red for FJ. Made me wonder if we were entering the Black Lodge. Perhaps we could hypothesize that maybe all the brouhaha wasn't caused by the real Mike Richards, but by an evil doppelganger. Wonder if he can dance while talking backward.

Nah, the real guy brought it all on himself.

Objectively, he wasn't bad as host. If he had just temped for AT for the remainder of the season without the faux host search, I don't think there would have been a lot of pushback if he had then been announced as the new permanent host. Too easy, I guess.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mike was perfectly fine as a host, but not so much as a human being.

Johnny sounds really rough. But if it takes until you're 93 to start showing your age, then so be it.

No guess on FJ!
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Not bad at all, Matt Amodio. He joins James Holzhauer and Austin Rogers as the only players with multiple wins of $60,000+ in their original run.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 pm No guess on FJ!
When I saw the category I thought, “Everybody has no worse than a 1 in 13 chance of answering correctly!”

Apparently I was wrong. I hate being wrong so early in the season.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I thought they would have completely changed the set, but it is similar to last season's. With all the drama that was going on, probably the least on their minds was creating a new set. Maybe they figured too much change was going to alienate viewers...I do like the music.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I thought of Rhode Island (Williams) and Pennsylvania (Penn). Didn't know about the synagogue, but I live in PA.

From what I remember Penn was into religious freedom as long as you were a Quaker. Otherwise, he was kinda intolerant. Williams was getting the boot from the Puritans. I figured he'd be more into true religious freedom.

I thought Richards was fine, but I thought he was pretty good in his run early in the year. They will get someone just as good. I hope they get them soon.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Danmel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 pm We visited the Touro Synagogue in Newport, so I got the answer quickly. George Washington famously sent a letter to the Jewish community of Newport to assure them that they were safe in America.
https://www.tourosynagogue.org/history- ... /gw-letter
Beat me to it, Danmel. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Season 31 champ Choyon Manjrekar posted on Twitter tonight that he correctly precalled FJ. Luckily for me, though I follow him, I didn't know him as a Rhode Islander; unluckily for me, he concluded his post with #rhodeisland. Also unlucky is that I don't have a strong sense of whether I would have guessed correctly if unspoiled.

I don't see the usefulness of counting syllables on one's fingers while responding. As evidenced when Matt caught himself with a six-syllable response, it's not going to save you if you're wrong.

Of course Debbie didn't cover Amdé with her FJ wager, making his mistake consequential.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:53 pm Johnny was there to be greeted by the host
Unless a contestant says that was indeed the case, I'm assuming the shot of Johnny was edited in.