Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

35R. 2/4 on big clues. Tough game for me I was trying to keep score and take notes while I played so I might not try to do that again. I look forward to the archive being available for new games again. Guessed Clara Barton instead of Gertrude Stein and guessed Providence. My thinking was that "13 COLONIES" could refer to general history and didn't necessarily need to refer to one of the colonies. I think Oglethorpe or Williams could be a correct response in that category. The word "Site" made me think of a specific place and not a state.

It's good to see Jeopardy! back but I'll have to say goodbye to LearnedLeague for a couple of months now. Matt Amodio continues to be an excellent champion.

I missed Borneo and said Sumatra, missed SCTV and said Kids in the Hall, missed sparrow(hawk) and said falcon, said Unabomber instead of Kesey, said misrepresentation instead of oversimplification (misrepresentation was in the clue), and said bobcat instead of lynx.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Fiji, Battle of the Bulge, barback, Bradlee, and triskaidekaphobia.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Matt as dominant as usual. Very few have been in his vicinity during his run.

He is probably a few weeks away from hitting $1M at his current pace. First things first, however: Julia’s spot on the consecutive wins list.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Couldn't get SCTV nor Bradley. The Beverly Hills club was on the tip of my tongue, but couldn't get it out.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mahatma wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:33 pm Given the official name of the colony, and the question asking for the name of the colony, why is
Spoiler
Rhode Island
acceptable, while
Spoiler
Providence
is not?
I'd say that since the official name was Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, just "Providence, Rhode Island" wouldn't be correct under any circumstances.
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:03 pm Thumbs up for the onscreen FJ category name. Next step is to do that for DDs as well.
This would be handy, but next up is having the scores on the screen at all times. And keeping the clue showing for wordplay clues.

We both thought Mike did a good job. But those curtains behind the players were very distracting for me.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 am
I don't see the usefulness of counting syllables on one's fingers while responding. As evidenced when Matt caught himself with a six-syllable response, it's not going to save you if you're wrong.
Potentially it could help steer you to an "-ity" ending if you'd been planning "-ness". Still, I hope there are no more such categories until Matt's run is over.

I had missed Richards' earlier hostings. I was impressed that he seemed to know "Pepys" was one syllable. That's just where my expectations were, based on his talk about the unlikelihood of his passing the contestant test.

As for the players, I was most impressed by Matt's get of Fiji as the Victoria/Tomanivi volcano site (this is not to suggest that I knew everything else on the boards).

The first half of the FJ put Rhode Island in the lead, and "oldest synagogue" carried it across the line. I hadn't known about the first Baptist church.

I had at first thought Amdé was showing off with the long form of the colony's name, but no. In case you missed it, the people there voted to drop "and Providence Plantations" last November.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

floridagator wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:54 pm I think they did something with the set, because I noticed during the interview that ms. Kim was having to turn very sharply to her right. She was a super energetic contestant but she made too many Wags. Not a competitor for Matt.
She may have been making those WAGs to give herself a chance against someone who is obviously tough to beat. Possibly trying to keep the DDs out of his hands and make a game of it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 am
I don't see the usefulness of counting syllables on one's fingers while responding. As evidenced when Matt caught himself with a six-syllable response, it's not going to save you if you're wrong.
Potentially it could help steer you to an "-ity" ending if you'd been planning "-ness".
True, and your post made me realize that syllable counting might have spared Gabbie from the neg when she said "photosensitive."
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I also said Pennsylvania but I should have gotten it. Dangit.

Seemed like there was a big edit-out of whatever "gosh I'm so thrilled to have the job for real" speech Mike gave at the beginning. No intro of him as the "guest host" though.

"And now, here is the host of Jeopardy.....this friggin' guy who'll be gone in a week"
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 am it could help steer you to an "-ity" ending if you'd been planning "-ness".
Matt has clearly given so much thought to other minor aspects of the game, I'm sure he has arrived at this count-on-your-fingers strategy for a reason that, at the very least, seemed good to him.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

zakharov wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 am "And now, here is the host of Jeopardy.....this friggin' guy who'll be gone in a week"
I wonder if I'm the only one who imagined air quotes when they announced Richards as the "host" of Jeopardy.

First guess was Pennsylvania but had doubts about how tolerant Penn was. WAGed Maryland just to have something. Even after the reveal I did not make any connection to RI so I guess I never learned that fact.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:48 am
Lefty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:40 am
Potentially it could help steer you to an "-ity" ending if you'd been planning "-ness".
True, and your post made me realize that syllable counting might have spared Gabbie from the neg when she said "photosensitive."
I had the same response as Gabbie and counting out wouldn't have worked, since it just didn't click that they were looking for a different part of speech. I knew my respomse was wrong but it was all I could come up with.
The way some people cringe at all the "What is...?"'s, I react to the theatrical "I'm not really that smart!" finger-counting...Luckily it doesn't come up so often... :)
I'm among those who thought either half of the FJ would have sufficed. Together they snapped the response into place. (The sentence could be lifted from a textbook!) And while I find "site" a little distracting, the category left me with little hesitation on what was needed.
Very glad to have the game back, whatever the circumstances. Especially since I felt competitive with Matt in this one... ;)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Bob78164 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:00 pm
mahatma wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:12 pmI question the value of the 1st half of FJ! as a TOM, if one does not know the pieces of the 2nd half.
You can stop questioning. The first half of the clue is the only reason I came up with the correct response. --Bob
Ditto, Bob.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 am I don't see the usefulness of counting syllables on one's fingers while responding. As evidenced when Matt caught himself with a six-syllable response, it's not going to save you if you're wrong.
I think most of the time it won't matter, but occasionally it could save your bacon. Since you don't know when that will happen, it's worth doing every time. We had one example of that possibility in this very game. Gabbie could easily have turned her "photosensitive" miss into a get. I had the same answer, but I was counting along in imitation of Matt. I quickly realized I needed an extra two syllables and what they had to be.

EDIT: Guess I shouldn't respond to a post on the bottom of page 2 when there's a whole page 3 I haven't read yet.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did anyone else notice a difference in the audio? Something about it seemed different to me and Mike Richards sounded more sibilant than I remembered.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 am Did anyone else notice a difference in the audio? Something about it seemed different to me and Mike Richards sounded more sibilant than I remembered.
Just the sound crew taking a passive-aggressive plausibly-deniable swipe at their unpopular leader. Things will be back to normal next week.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 am Did anyone else notice a difference in the audio? Something about it seemed different to me and Mike Richards sounded more sibilant than I remembered.
Yes. The acoustics were different. I'm no audio engineer but it wouldn't surprise me that even the minor set changes changed the acoustics given the way sound reflects of surfaces.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:41 am
Just the sound crew taking a passive-aggressive plausibly-deniable swipe at their unpopular leader. Things will be back to normal next week.
Turn up the gain to make Richards sound like a snake. Sounds plausible. :lol:
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

yclept wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:29 am Matt as dominant as usual. Very few have been in his vicinity during his run.

He is probably a few weeks away from hitting $1M at his current pace. First things first, however: Julia’s spot on the consecutive wins list.
He's won 642K, but German in 18th century Philadelphia and Magellen Penguins have cost him 142K in two shows.

He doesn't bet the daily doubles as hard as James did. With the way he dominates the game, he could still hit a 100k in a game if he really made up his mind he wanted to. Had he pushed up his wager more into Holzauer range in this game (10k on the second DD and 15k on the third). He would have been close to 100k in one show today.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sherm wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 am
yclept wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:29 am Matt as dominant as usual. Very few have been in his vicinity during his run.

He's won 642K, but German in 18th century Philadelphia and Magellen Penguins have cost him 142K in two shows.

He doesn't bet the daily doubles as hard as James did. With the way he dominates the game, he could still hit a 100k in a game if he really made up his mind he wanted to. Had he pushed up his wager more into Holzauer range in this game (10k on the second DD and 15k on the third). He would have been close to 100k in one show today.
He has said in an interview that he's not a risk taker, and wants to make sure he's around to play the next game.
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure the reasoning for Final Jeopardy was supposed to go like this:

religious freedom + Baptist = Roger Williams → Rhode Island

Without the 'Baptist' part of the clue, I don't think there'd be an easy way for your average contestant to narrow it down to Rhode Island.