Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Monday, September 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 pm I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure the reasoning for Final Jeopardy was supposed to go like this:

religious freedom + Baptist = Roger Williams → Rhode Island

Without the 'Baptist' part of the clue, I don't think there'd be an easy way for your average contestant to narrow it down to Rhode Island.
"Baptist" is what directed me in the right direction.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:20 pm I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure the reasoning for Final Jeopardy was supposed to go like this:

Without the 'Baptist' part of the clue, I don't think there'd be an easy way for your average contestant to narrow it down to Rhode Island.
For me it was
religious freedom + oldest synagogue = Roger Williams → Rhode Island The Washington letter was a factor.
I didn't know Williams had a Baptist connection. (According to Wikipedia, he helped to found the church, but never fully affiliated with the Baptists.)
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:50 pm

For me it was
religious freedom + oldest synagogue = Roger Williams → Rhode Island The Washington letter was a factor.
I didn't know Williams had a Baptist connection. (According to Wikipedia, he helped to found the church, but never fully affiliated with the Baptists.)

For me, it was just oldest synagogue -> Rhode Island. The rest added nothing for me.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 pm No guess on FJ!
When I saw the category I thought, “Everybody has no worse than a 1 in 13 chance of answering correctly!”

Apparently I was wrong. I hate being wrong so early in the season.
You shouldn't have guessed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Didn't need Seth Rogen's voice to get the Vancouver clue.
squarekara wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm If you Google "James Oglethorpe religious freedom", you get this:
Oglethorpe himself led the first group of 114 colonists on the frigate Anne, landing at the site of today's Savannah on February 1, 1733. The original charter banned slavery and granted religious freedom, leading to the foundation of a Jewish community in Savannah.
My first thought was Oglethorpe/Georgia.
For me it came down to Georgia and Rhode Island and Georgia was far and away the last colony established...so I wrote Providence of course. Rusty...maybe I should've watched some reruns :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I just realized that if Alex was still hosting, he would've teased Matt for counting on his fingers. I didn't love that side of Alex.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:03 pm Thumbs up for the onscreen FJ category name. Next step is to do that for DDs as well.
This would be handy, but next up is having the scores on the screen at all times. And keeping the clue showing for wordplay clues.
This, This, This... I just now learned what an on screen scoreboard is called - a scorebug. I've been calling it a chyron. The game is missing a very important dimension with it being too difficult to glance at the camera cuts at just the right time to know if it is a contest or not. It won't matter until Matt is beaten.

The season launch debut sneaked up on me and I just saw this show. Mike gets a 10 for his hosting duty. The interviews went well. We will have big downgrades at the job starting next week. And, if they get 61 clues played, I hardly care.

I didn't observe any of the set changes, music changes, and other stuff mentioned here. The canned applause seemed too uniform.

I had no problem choosing Rhode Island. I don't know how you "found" a colony, but I know this one was done for religious reasons. For some reason, I learned in school that Roger Williams walked all the way around Rhode Island and this is how it was defined. I find nothing about that now, so some textbooks need an attitude adjustment. Maybe they can un-teach the idea of the noble Confederate cause for states rights while they are at it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 pm This, This, This... I just now learned what an on screen scoreboard is called - a scorebug. I've been calling it a chyron.
Chyron is a generic term for any digitally-generated on-screen graphic (it comes from a brand name) -- all scorebugs are chyrons, but not all chyrons are scorebugs.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 pm This, This, This... I just now learned what an on screen scoreboard is called - a scorebug. I've been calling it a chyron.
Chyron is a generic term for any digitally-generated on-screen graphic (it comes from a brand name) -- all scorebugs are chyrons, but not all chyrons are scorebugs.
Chyron is a brand name of a company that makes hardware to do on screen graphics. It's just treated as a generic, like Kleenex or Photoshop.
https://chyron.com/

"Lower third" is the real generic term.

And not to be confused with the Bugatti Chiron, a car you need to sell ad space on the lower third (and middle and upper thirds) to afford.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 pm And not to be confused with the Bugatti Chiron, a car you need to sell ad space on the lower third (and middle and upper thirds) to afford.
I can't even afford it in Forza.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Isn't it more correct to say a scorebug is generated by a Chyron? That's how I would describe it.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Some clear editing on Richards' opening comments. Was anyone else surprised that the Johnny Gilbert intro wasn't retconned into introducing him as the "guest host" after the firing?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Picked Off wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 am Was anyone else surprised that the Johnny Gilbert intro wasn't retconned into introducing him as the "guest host" after the firing?
No. For those five programs, that one day, Mike Richards was contractually, legally, officially and appropriately the "host" of Jeopardy!. He was a disgraced host, and a short-term host, but there is no proper way to characterize those five appearances as "guest" appearances. Jeopardy! did the right thing by leaving the "host" references intact, while scrubbing the now-inappropriate "Look at me, I'm the humbled new host" talk in which Richards engaged.
Last edited by Xu Donym on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 am Isn't it more correct to say a scorebug is generated by a Chyron? That's how I would describe it.
If you look up the dictionary definition of "chyron", the genericized term refers to the caption itself, rather than the generating system (which could be a Chyron or, these days, is one of any number of different systems).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am
Picked Off wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 am Was anyone else surprised that the Johnny Gilbert intro wasn't retconned into introducing him as the "guest host" after the firing?
No. For those five programs, that one day, Mike Richards was contractually, legally, officially and appropriately the "host" of Jeopardy!. He was a disgraced host, and a short-term host, but there is no proper way to characterize those five appearances as "guest" appearances. Jeopardy! did the right thing by leaving the "host" references intact, while scrubbing the now-inappropriate "Look at me, I'm the humbled new host" talk in which Richards engaged.
"And now, here is the disgraced host of Jeopardy!...."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am
But to be disgraced, don't you have to be graced in the first place?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:29 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am
But to be disgraced, don't you have to be graced in the first place?
"And now, here is the disgraceful host of Jeopardy!...."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 pm I just realized that if Alex was still hosting, he would've teased Matt for counting on his fingers. I didn't love that side of Alex.
That's one of the things I enjoyed most about him. I liked that he was able to interact with the contestants at a personal level--especially those like Matt who have been on for a while.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:03 pm Thumbs up for the onscreen FJ category name. Next step is to do that for DDs as well.
This would be handy, but next up is having the scores on the screen at all times. And keeping the clue showing for wordplay clues.
This, This, This... I just now learned what an on screen scoreboard is called - a scorebug. I've been calling it a chyron. The game is missing a very important dimension with it being too difficult to glance at the camera cuts at just the right time to know if it is a contest or not. It won't matter until Matt is beaten.

The season launch debut sneaked up on me and I just saw this show. Mike gets a 10 for his hosting duty. The interviews went well. We will have big downgrades at the job starting next week. And, if they get 61 clues played, I hardly care.

I didn't observe any of the set changes, music changes, and other stuff mentioned here. The canned applause seemed too uniform.

I had no problem choosing Rhode Island. I don't know how you "found" a colony, but I know this one was done for religious reasons. For some reason, I learned in school that Roger Williams walked all the way around Rhode Island and this is how it was defined. I find nothing about that now, so some textbooks need an attitude adjustment.
I thought I read that Georgia was specifically founded as a Debtors' colony. Religious freedom was a nice bonus, but wasn't founded specifically for it unlike Rhode Island. And I heard the name has nothing to do with Rhodes, but came from the Dutch for Red Island, as in the Rhode Island Red rooster.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DBear wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:47 pmI thought I read that Georgia was specifically founded as a Debtors' colony. Religious freedom was a nice bonus, but wasn't founded specifically for it unlike Rhode Island. And I heard the name has nothing to do with Rhodes, but came from the Dutch for Red Island, as in the Rhode Island Red rooster.
Take your pick. The other theory is that Verrazzano sailed by an island that he likened to Rhodes, and later colonists assumed the area he had written about was Rhode Island (which is what I had always heard).