Repeat contestants post-Alex?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

peteyx
Contributor

Repeat contestants post-Alex?

Post by peteyx »

I was (and remain) deeply bummed and in denial about Alex Trebek's passing, but I have a logistical question about auditions and casting with the new host(s), whoever they turn out to be.

I was a one-and-done contestant in 2014, though present for 2 weeks' worth of taping because I didn't get selected on the first day. In pre-filming orientation both days, they stressed that all contestants were ineligible to return again as a contestant (unless invited back for championships, tournaments etc.), so long as Alex Trebek was the host of Jeopardy. Maggie & co. were very clear about that specific clause.

Given the current situation, on a lark a few weeks ago I took the anytime test and did well (by my count only maybe 3-4 wrong). Today I got an invitation for the zoom test.

I have a very unique and google-able name so if they've done any advance work at all they should have realized I'm a prior contestant. Am I likely to get booted from the zoom before taking the test? Obviously I have no interest in trying to trick anybody (which I think would be impossible anyway). I was shocked to get the test invitation TBH.

Has anyone else been in this same situation, or does anyone know more generally what the show's current policy is around a second (albeit post-Trebek) go-around?
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Repeat contestants post-Alex?

Post by Golf »

You are not eligible. Recently someone posted here the official statement from Sony. Sorry, but others deserve a chance.
peteyx
Contributor

Post by peteyx »

Ah, I see it now in the fine print on the zoom invitation that they call out ineligibility for past contestants from 1984-2021. Prior seasons they called out not having appeared on a Trebek-hosted version of the show. All that false hope I was carrying since 2014 suddenly melts away.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Although there was the infamous Jeff Kirby that somehow slipped through the cracks and got one twice. 1999 and 2009.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

peteyx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 pm Am I likely to get booted from the zoom before taking the test?
You are not likely. You ARE going to get booted out. :arrow:
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 am
peteyx wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 pm Am I likely to get booted from the zoom before taking the test?
You are not likely. You ARE going to get booted out. :arrow:
You really think they're gonna do the research prior the the zoom test? I would think they wouldn't bother with any of that until either after the zoom test is passed and it comes time for the real audition, or even until the person passes the audition, possibly not even until the show is ready to invite the person on as a player.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Yikes. You had your chance.
peteyx
Contributor

Post by peteyx »

Thanks for the replies - TBH I took the anytime test w/no expectations to get called on, I was just curious about the test itself. Really no need for the passive-aggressive or outright-aggressive hostility in the replies, it's all good.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 am Yikes. You had your chance.
... says the guy who could take down Amodio with one lobe tied behind his skull.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

peteyx wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 am Thanks for the replies - TBH I took the anytime test w/no expectations to get called on, I was just curious about the test itself. Really no need for the passive-aggressive or outright-aggressive hostility in the replies, it's all good.
I appreciate you asked in good faith. I think it warranted a public question because the phrasing "while Alex is host" was oddly specific.

I do understand the frustration of some responses from people like me who take and pass the test every year but have not yet gotten an invitation, but I trust the process to sort it out. I believe you would have to fill out a questionnaire before the final audition that would catch the prior appearance.
peteyx
Contributor

Post by peteyx »

DysonSphere wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:30 am I appreciate you asked in good faith. I think it warranted a public question because the phrasing "while Alex is host" was oddly specific.

I do understand the frustration of some responses from people like me who take and pass the test every year but have not yet gotten an invitation, but I trust the process to sort it out. I believe you would have to fill out a questionnaire before the final audition that would catch the prior appearance.
Right exactly - they went out of their way multiple times to phrase it that way at the time. There's no need to be frustrated since as you say, I don't think anyone's going to be "sneaking" back onto the show - I was really just looking for confirmation of the current/updated policy which is thankfully now clear.
Golf

Post by Golf »

If you haven’t already done so, I would email the appropriate party explaining the situation so they have time to find a replacement for the Zoom audition. You never know what that person could do with their opportunity.
peteyx
Contributor

Post by peteyx »

Golf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 am If you haven’t already done so, I would email the appropriate party explaining the situation so they have time to find a replacement for the Zoom audition. You never know what that person could do with their opportunity.
I'm not taking an actual zoom slot - hence why I started this thread in the first place.

ETA: to clarify, I got the email to sign up and was surprised to get the email. I'm not going to take up an actual space in the zoom for no reason given the clarity around eligibility.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

peteyx wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:04 am ETA: to clarify, I got the email to sign up and was surprised to get the email.
Wait, haven't you been following how well they've been vetting the potential new permanent host(s)? This shouldn't be a surprise. :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

kingskip wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:17 pm Although there was the infamous Jeff Kirby that somehow slipped through the cracks and got one twice. 1999 and 2009.
Yeah, but that was during the period when they were bringing back ties.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 am Yeah, but that was during the period when they were bringing back ties.
It's the joke that keeps on giving
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:46 am If you haven’t already done so, I would email the appropriate party explaining the situation so they have time to find a replacement for the Zoom audition. You never know what that person could do with their opportunity.
Where's the "clears throat and points to self" emoji?
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am
Where's the "clears throat and points to self" emoji?
Ha! There’s way too many of us that could use that emoji.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I just looked at the application I filled out before my Zoom audition in September 2020, and even then, they were still using the phrasing "I hereby certify that I have not appeared on any version of 'Jeopardy!' hosted by Alex Trebek."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

And request that that replacement be me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012