Tuesday, September 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

I saw Malco, and I couldn't shake Malcolm X out of my mind. I couldn't get any other associated name to fit, so I knew I was wrong...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Don't stay in the category where you just got a DD if another DD is out there! :o
The Bible is in my wheelhouse, so no problem with Mt. Moriah. 8-)
Yeah, needed the year to suss FJ. :mrgreen:
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Sherm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:43 am I got FJ, and I'm marking it in my book as a correct, but on the set I don't know if I would have had time to write it down.

I stared at "armalco" trying to come up with names, and that didn't work. I jumped over to 1969 mineral, and hit on moon landing, but it truly took around 25 seconds. I count it as a make because at the end of the music my daughter asked who, and I easily responded with Armstrong, Aldrin or Collins like I knew the whole time.
close to :25 before it snapped in here, too...As someone else said, I had Ar-Mal instead of Arm-Al for a long time. The scrawl on my page can probably be read only by me, but I'm counting it!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:53 pm
Sherm wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:43 am I got FJ, and I'm marking it in my book as a correct, but on the set I don't know if I would have had time to write it down.

I stared at "armalco" trying to come up with names, and that didn't work. I jumped over to 1969 mineral, and hit on moon landing, but it truly took around 25 seconds. I count it as a make because at the end of the music my daughter asked who, and I easily responded with Armstrong, Aldrin or Collins like I knew the whole time.
close to :25 before it snapped in here, too...As someone else said, I had Ar-Mal instead of Arm-Al for a long time. The scrawl on my page can probably be read only by me, but I'm counting it!
Be a man and post a scan. We'll tell you whether you get credit!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm After DD3 it was still a lock although Daniel continued well enough to have it broken for a good portion of the DJ! round until he had one too many letters in CROSSWORD CLUES "M" while Matt rebounded it without having to count on his fingers.
Is this the first time a CROSSWORD CLUES category has had the word "letters" in parentheses in every clue (instead of just the number in parentheses)?

EDIT: I found this game from last August where this was the case. Maybe there are more.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:08 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:42 pm After DD3 it was still a lock although Daniel continued well enough to have it broken for a good portion of the DJ! round until he had one too many letters in CROSSWORD CLUES "M" while Matt rebounded it without having to count on his fingers.
Is this the first time a CROSSWORD CLUES category has had the word "letters" in parentheses in every clue (instead of just the number in parentheses)?

EDIT: I found this game from last August where this was the case. Maybe there are more.
I assume that's for the benefit of less experienced hosts.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:22 pm I assume that's for the benefit of less experienced hosts.
I think you're right. The flip side of that coin is that the omission of the word "letters" was probably for the benefit of the character-count-challenged Chyron of the early '90s.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 am Did anyone get FJ from knowing what Armalcolite is before seeing the clue? I liked this FJ because it required some thinking, but enough was given in the clue to figure it out fairly quickly.
Depends on how you define quickly. I got it as a "well, duh" just as time expired but wouldn't have time to write it down. Guess "duh" can equal "d'oh." The transitive property of feeling like an idiot.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.