Thursday, September 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, September 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

jev15 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:10 pm That name rings not the faintest of bells for me.
This will poll at over 90%. Maybe 95.
I'll take the under on 90%. What are we betting?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DBear wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 pm Oh, we've moved on from Greta Thunberg now? Guessed the successor to the Dalai Lama. Total NHOI on this activist du jour.
I like how you use "du jour" on a person whose FJ clue mentioned 2009 (which was twelve years ago)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

DBear wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 pm Oh, we've moved on from Greta Thunberg now? Guessed the successor to the Dalai Lama. Total NHOI on this activist du jour.
Maybe you should look up who she is first. I would guess that most American conservatives would have no problem with her.
RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RetiredDoc »

Knew the person Final Jeopardy was going for was Malala but did not remember her last name. Obviously, that was enough! (Somewhat surprised last name was not needed, but also not surprised)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Matt just about fell to the Thursday champion's jinx (not really). The players had him squirming, but they needed to find and bury those DD's, or deploy them for their own good.

I was stumped on the description for the motorcycle DD. I finally just said "throttle".
1) If the clue had read "crank" the engine, or "turn the engine (over), I might have been able to process the clue. I'm no gearhead, but in several decades of dirty fingernails and scraped knuckles, I have never heard anybody say "spin" for either an electric motor or IC engine. Your turn them over, crank them, or run them or rev them.
2) Kick starters haven't been on Harleys since 1984, and generally disappeared in the 70's. They still exist, certainly on smaller "cc" engines (insider joke). It is fun to do, kind of like splitting wood with a real axe or making fingernail size wood chips fly with a good sharp chain on a chain saw (but not actual fingernails). Maybe this clue belonged on a "Vespa" category :lol:.

I got to Malala from the "Urdu" reference, and a general sense of time to know Greta isn't in her mid-20's. She absolutely deserves single name status.

I didn't see the other two players applauding Matt's DD2 get that ended the competition. Surely there was some kind of editing issue involved. Aren't they requested to at least give a golf clap? I suspect some editing sync issues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:02 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:58 pm Abbreviated CC, I said displacement. Judges?
Sorry, that's gonna be a no from me. cc is a unit of measure.
Full clue for reference:
ABBREVIATED cc, IT'S THE MEASURE OF ENGINE SIZE-- A 1,000cc BIKE IS READY FOR SOME SERIOUS CRUISING

I'm going to concur with no: "1,000 [engine] displacement" doesn't work.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Wow, dismissive much?
https://malala.org/malalas-story
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

You must not watch Jeopardy. Eight previous appearances (once in FJ), six of which asked for her name.

I think this game explains Matt's buzzer dominance: he's ringing in all the way, assuming he'll know the answer. I admire the way he kept getting up from the canvas in the Ali round. Karl Mildenberger would have been proud.

I sensed that a "motorcycles" DD at the $800 (J! round) level might be a time to play safe. I felt as I did when "19th Century American Folk Art" was the FJ category during the UToC. I guessed "gofundme" today, but it didn't give me that feeling that you want to have.

Some good gets from everyone. On two other days, against a different champ....
opusthepenguin wrote: "To consume, or a live video signal" and they want "feed"? Anyone here use consume as a synonym for feed?
As in "eat". "Feeding at the trough". "Consume mass quantities".

"Slow as molasses in January"? Better not say that in Boston.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Couldn't get Black Keys. NHO that skater.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:41 pm Emily hinted that she buys her dad an annual subscription to LL. For Emily I see she has seasons in E, D & C with no taste of B or higher yet.
Bringing up Learned League is a bad omen.
Douglas Squasoni
yclept

Post by yclept »

Emily was tough for a while tonight and the missed DD-1 certainly made one think this could be the night. Alas, I am not sure if missing his typical double up in the first round will be enough to knock him out. Emily needed to find one or both of them in DJ to have a chance.

As soon as he hit a DD in the $800 box, you knew life was about to get really tough for his opponents.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A player wanting to take down Matt needs to hope a boxing category shows up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Given the Helter Skelter clue, I have to trot out my story again ... In 1975, I went skiing with my brother at Killington in Vermont. We didn’t get along at all, and I decided to head back to New York. The only way back from there was the bus, so I took the bus back to New York. Given that my trip was ruined, I was in a fabulously bad mood and wanted to be left alone.

I had the row to myself, and kept myself occupied by reading Helter Skelter. A few stops went by, and I glanced up at the door and saw that a middle-aged woman had gotten on. She was scanning the bus for a “safe” place to sit, and I was saying to myself “Please don’t sit next to me. Please don’t sit next to me.” Of course, she comes down the aisle and sits next to me even though other seats were available. Then I start saying to myself “Please don’t talk to me. Please don’t talk to me.” Of course, she cheerily starts up a conversation. I kept my head buried in the book and reluctantly mumbled one word answers.

Finally, she asked, “What book are you reading?” I slowly turned toward her, put on just about the evilest grin a teenage nerd could possibly muster, and calmly replied “Helter Skelter. It’s about the Manson murders.” She didn’t say another word to me and got up and moved seats at the next stop.

A few stops later, a teenage girl got on, sat next to me, and was showing me a newspaper clipping of how she and some friends were arrested for stealing a car. I was definitely OK with that.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:37 am
opusthepenguin wrote: "To consume, or a live video signal" and they want "feed"? Anyone here use consume as a synonym for feed?
As in "eat". "Feeding at the trough". "Consume mass quantities".
Ah! I was only able to think of "feed" in contexts where one feeds someone else. And one doesn't consume someone else, or at least that doesn't mean the same thing as feeding them.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:18 am A player wanting to take down Matt needs to hope a boxing category shows up.
Maybe create their own boxing category. "Hey, Matt, what's that over there? [POW!]"
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I was worried about Matt getting reckless with some of those guesses. He was in the red when I went into the kitchen. I came back with a plate of Saltines for my daughter, and he was up thirty grand!
Seems to be enjoying himself, though. Stay focused, kiddo!

I probably would've tried to include Malala's last name in FJ, but would've been unsure of spelling. Would've definitely included it in a spoken response.

In case there's no time or motivation for further research for those who've NHO Malala, I just want to add that she was already famous to some degree when the Taliban plotted to assassinate (yes, "assassinate") her as a 15-year old. Her ongoing crusade for educational rights, at her personal peril, played out on the global stage, and she became the youngest-ever Nobel Peace Prize laureate. Her story goes way beyond mere trivia. It's something everyone should know.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

4/4 FJ to start the year. May the streak continue.

Matt looked rattled after the Kickstarter miss, but he recovered like a pro. Seeing him in the red at the turn had me thinking of Rocky IV, when Drago is hurt for the first time. Some better luck in uncovering the DDs later could have turned the game for the challengers. You have to beat Matt the way Emma beat James. He's just too good to take down on knowledge alone.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

You know...one thing that's been noticeable in Matt Amodio's tendencies is that, usually when he gets the DD, and if it's on a category that he's not comfortable with, or if he is wanting to be conservative, he bets small. If, however, he's found a category he's comfortable with, he'll bet big. And at times, he can be reckless and miss a DD on a semi-to-big bet. Here's some of the interesting stats I've noticed from when Matt's uncovered a DD on a low, medium, or large number box:

On DDs in round 1 of Jeopardy!:

On a $200 box: N/A

On a $400 box: 1/1 (+$7,600)

On a $600 box: 4/4 (+$22,600)

On an $800 box: 7/8 (+$24,600)

On a $1,000 box: 5/5 (+$11,400)

On DDs in Double Jeopardy!:

On a $400 box: N/A

On an $800 box: 4/4 (+$26,600)

On a $1,200 box: 4/8 (+$16,800)

On a $1,600 box: 14/15 (+$42,400)

On a $2,000 box: 6/6 (+$21,000)

And at times, he'll find any way to get by with a win despite a small setback. Case in point, this game. After missing the DD in the 1st round, he finishes in the red. He manages to rebound very quickly with an easy DD on the $800 box and didn't let up from that point on.

It seems to me that Matt's strengths are really good at DDs found on the $800 on the 1st round and $1,600 in the 2nd round, given that the total net value from the DDs on that spot is a combined $67,000. His worst stat in games is when he finds a DD in the $1,200 clue. That being said, a couple of them were instances in which Matt bet small on them.

I'm actually impressed in watching Matt dominating games at such a high pace. He has had a few close games, but did manage to overcome that. And he's had one lock-tie game, that he managed to get away with because his challenger missed the FJ! category in a situation where ties weren't allowed and it was one that almost saw Matt Amodio's reign taken down to end the season. I'd be surprised to see how far he will go as we enter more and more into season 38.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 pmCan't believe none of them knew "slow as molasses in January." Consarn it, I'm not that old, am I?
No, you're not old. And neither am I. But these young whippersnappers just don't know the language any more. :lol:
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

When we get to the weekly poll, put me down for her full name on a spoken response, but I'm not going to risk trying to write her last name down in FJ.
--Peter