Monday, September 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Monday, September 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

The best I could come up with on FJ! was Terminator 2, though I was pretty sure the year didn't match up.

I think Ferdinand is just one of those things they accept, like Xiaoping, The Wizard of Oz, and Alice in Wonderland.

Valiant effort by Tracy. I matched Matt with the "bonobo" neg.

No strong opinion yet on Mayim, aside from the fact that she doesn't seem to like Matt's response style.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

My only real ideas for FJ were It (not a movie, it turns out, but a TV miniseries. And 2 years off) and Batman (1 year off). I've I'd remembered Killer Klowns from Outer Space, I'd have considered that too (I did watch it on youtube). I'm not surprised that my failure to see "Roger" would cost me someday, so I'm glad it was only an imaginary opportunity of a lifetime.

Actual 1988 titles I did recall include Unbearable Lightness of Being, Mississippi Burning, and Earth Girls Are Easy.

"Ferdinand" should have been negged outright. That they've erroneously accepted it before doesn't make it right.
I'm smart and I want respect.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:03 pm
goongas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:04 pm I wonder if Mayim was instructed to say that this was the first non-runaway game of the season, because she presumably was not in the studio to have known that firsthand.
I thought I read she attended the stage renaming ceremony that taping day. She may have watched the tapings that day with Ken and Buzzy.
Jostling for position to get a better view through the crack in the floorboards.
Human pyramid formation to get up to the transom.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

No clue on Final Jeopardy. Never saw Roger Rabbit so this movie is not on my radar at all.

Finding some of the responses a little too minimalist.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:31 pm The futility continues. I read 'dip' as 'what you put chips in' and obviously came up with nothing.
Same. All I could think of was Clue, but poisoning someone with chip dip didn't seem like it would match the game much. :D

I did see Roger Rabbit back in 1988, but don't remember it too much (clearly).
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Mayim still bugs me. I want a host who's good at intros. One of Alex's ways of keeping it fresh was by making comments that were specific to the returning champion. Mayim's only comment about the players in today's intro was, "Our champion Matt Amodio has quite an impressive run going." That's not good enough. The comment was just generic and cookie cutter.

Of course it's only one game, so you might say it's way too early to judge. But Mayim was making these cookie cutter comments during her entire original run. You need a host who has more interesting things to say than this, and in my opinion, Mayim will never get there.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Another what the hell guess with "Clue", and zero confidence. (btw, a 1985 movie). I've no problem with the clue. It (the dip) may not be an iconic part of the movie, but the serial murder hint ought to get you to the right choice if you have an encyclopedic knowledge of film.

I saw the WFRR movie at the theater because of the hype about the special effects / animation. Was this early in the CGI evolution? The special effects were another level up, but we'd throw rocks at it today. I think we were still playing Pong at the arcades down here in the sticks. I remember nothing of the movie.

I wonder if Mayim was encouraged to be more somber? I think she almost nailed it today. Nobody got effluent praise for knowing an answer (question). Matt is getting more charismatic as he gets richer.

Finally a contested final, and it could have been an upset. Tracy was fun to watch, and it sucks that she lost the extra $1K for being good.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Mozart writing Send in the Clowns. Did he also write Officer Krupke?

LOL, just LOL at Ricky Martin appearing on the adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. That series ended in 1966. Ricky Martin was born in 1971.
Perv Griffin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 pm
FJ rendered it a moot point, but Carlo did Matt a real favor by preventing Tracy from finding the second DD. It's easy for me to point out from my couch, but I'm occasionally annoyed in late-game stages when a player in distant third doesn't make more of an effort to just stay out of the way of a strong second place player in an effort to maximize their own odds at playing the spoiler.
That is what I refer to as the innominate situation. There are people on the board who lose their heads when I make mention of it.

I'm eager for Matt to lose. It's nothing personal. I felt the same way about the New England Patriots toward the end of their run.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:34 am Mayim still bugs me. I want a host who's good at intros. One of Alex's ways of keeping it fresh was by making comments that were specific to the returning champion. Mayim's only comment about the players in today's intro was, "Our champion Matt Amodio has quite an impressive run going." That's not good enough. The comment was just generic and cookie cutter.
She was coming in cold with zero history with the returning champ. And I think the disastrous backstage circumstances prior to this appearance called for the most generic remarks possible.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Another instaget FJ here. "The Dip" will always mean WFRR. For datakeeping purposes, I was 10 when it came out, so targeted pretty directly with the advertising.

Miyam isn't my favorite in terms of how she hosted, but she can probably improve quite a bit with practice. I didn't like her answering Matt back with "What is ....." or "Yes, who is .....". It made it sound like she was correcting him.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Strong game by the second place finisher who had the speed and knowledge to win at least a few games. Alas, we will never know.

In response to one post on here, if I was on that stage, I am playing the game to the best of my ability. I am not giving up just so that someone else can make a run at the champion. I will say that it doesn’t make much sense for him to strategically look for a DD though.Your only chance to win is if second place gets close to first and both contestants bet big in FJ and miss. In essence, his only chance to win was under the scenario that happened (though we don’t know how much she would have wagered if she was close to Matt).

I have never had an issue with how Matt words his responses. I have no issue with him giving little information and only being more specific when required (ie, “clubs” when they want “golf clubs”). It is actually rather amazing that he is so good at giving so little.

That said, it has always bothered me when “Alliterative Names” type of categories don’t require the full name.

Was this the first time that Matt would have lost if his opponent got FJ right? I think Ken had such a game fairly early in his run.

Anyway, one element that was taken away from him was a big double up on DD-1. I believe he went on a $7,000 run right after the DD was discovered. A true buzz saw.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Dip ... kill characters

That’s all I needed to go with the category title. I would have started writing long before the reading of the clue had finished.

Sometimes I think the writers get a little bit of perverse joy in picking movies that were popular rather than ones that received critical acclaim. It’s a good test to separate those who have memorized lists of Oscar winners and nominees from those who actually go to the movies for entertainment.
--Peter
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

51R. 2/4 on big clues. Missed 1805 and said 1803. Missed Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and really couldn't think of anything. Eventually got around to thinking some of the characters may have been poisoned with a chip dip and went from poison chip dip->weird food->Mystic Pizza just to write something down.

Missed Castor and Pollux and tried to guess Horatii but said something slightly different. Missed Tiffany and said Brandy because I got the categories confused.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Mick Mulvaney, frill, Jeff Dunham, LeAnn Rimes, and Toltec.

Tracy played really well. Matt also played really well.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I owned WFRR on VHS and watched it repeatedly, so I knew the ingredients in the Dip by heart. I had the NES video game as well.

I wonder if Tracy was conflating Dune with “Doom,” as in Judge Doom.

Incredible game to kick off Mayim's return. For what was apparently short notice, she was outstanding.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nserven wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:14 amIncredible game to kick off Mayim's return. For what was apparently short notice, she was outstanding.
It was only an incredible game to the extent that there was some actual drama, which has been missing in almost all of the Matt's games from somewhere near the beginning of SJ (the only drama being how much he'll rack up this time).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:28 am LOL, just LOL at Mozart writing Send in the Clowns. Did he also write Officer Krupke?
My mind briefly spluttered at that response, and then I realized he was erroneously Pavlov-ing from A Little Night Music, whose title, of course, is a literal translation of the common title Eine kleine Nachtmusik for one of Mozart's best known pieces.
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:55 am Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
It doesn't matter very much, but there's no question mark in the film's title (though the title of the book it was based on—Who Censored Roger Rabbit?—did).
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

6/6 to start the year. Was traumatized by the dip as a kid and had it before the clue was done being read.

Mayim rightly noted that Matt, despite racking up 30K-plus, was in a rare position of vulnerability here. He loses on a solve from second. Bad break for the chase that Carlo got DD3 when it was a already a two-person race. Really enjoyed the game.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:47 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:55 am Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
It doesn't matter very much, but there's no question mark in the film's title (though the title of the book it was based on—Who Censored Roger Rabbit?—did).
Ah, so somebody that shared a name with the famous first baseman must have framed RR. Just like Finnegans were implored to stop sleeping.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:48 am I saw the WFRR movie at the theater because of the hype about the special effects / animation. Was this early in the CGI evolution? The special effects were another level up, but we'd throw rocks at it today. I think we were still playing Pong at the arcades down here in the sticks. I remember nothing of the movie.
Nope, all practicals. They hid the effects gadgets behind the toons if they couldn't keep them off camera.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:47 am there's no question mark in the film's title (though the title of the book it was based on—Who Censored Roger Rabbit?—did).
This right here is my favorite kind of trivia. This inconsistency probably kept me awake when I was eight years old. Side note: that book is a tough read for an eight-year-old.