Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:35 pm
flemmingfan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:04 am Here's my thoughts FWIW; I would like to see a return to the five win format where the champion goes into a pool to play similar players with comparable experience and buzzer speed. I like Matt but I'd rather see three fresh faces more often. Although the game is the same, the "game" is over too quickly IMHO. fini
Not a bad idea, actually. Maybe that's what they could use the prime time specials for. Replace the ToC with a series of these kind of qualifying tourneys.

I enjoy watching players like Matt, but it is a bit unfair to everyone who has to go against him.
I have idly chatted with my partner about the attraction of bringing back the top five scorers against some of the Titans for a tournament.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 pm Someone on Reddit pointed out that the French word "répondez" was given as "respondez". Alex would have caught that ahead of time.
True, although Mayim did pronounce it correctly.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 pm Someone on Reddit pointed out that the French word "répondez" was given as "respondez". Alex would have caught that ahead of time.
Of course, one would hope she would, not withstanding the typo, given that in French that s would be silent anyway
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm Think they would have accepted “Before Christian Era”?
Almost certainly.
30% of the world might. Since 70% of humanity is non-Christian, the rest probably would not.

In the Islamic world, it's 1443 AH. In Israel, it's AM 5782. In most of India, it's Vikram Samvat 2077

They're all fine with using 2021 as "common era" dating for international communications. "Christian era" dating, not so much. Most sources I found defined BCE as "common," a couple said "Christian" is rarely used. The judges might have reluctantly accepted it, but I'm not sure I'd count on it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:12 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm
Of course, one would hope she would, not withstanding the typo, given that in French that s would be silent anyway
Are you sure about that? In a word like responsabilité, the s's are pronounced.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:07 pm Are you sure about that? In a word like responsabilité, the s's are pronounced.
Oh, true! nm

EDIT: I asked over on the WordReference forums when répondez lost the S. The answer is that
According to this link it happened in the 12th century.

Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières - RECUEIL DE TEXTES

But it is only in 1740 that the spelling was changed by the Académie française.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just had a funny thought of TPH calling the Ulysses clue negbait for mentioning Stephen Dedalus (who is also the title character in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man). Not that I don't think it's an unlikely complaint in general, but it feels unlikely to come from TPH (may he forgive me for saying so).