Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 pm Why does Matt have to smirk after every answer?
Seems like a normal smile to me.
I hope that clue about BCE not a harbinger that the show is going to start referring to dates that way. I will absolutely stop watching if they do that. That is unacceptable culture warring.
:roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Think they would have accepted “Before Christian Era”?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm Think they would have accepted “Before Christian Era”?
Probably not.

Also, can we stop referring to Wednesday as "Hump Day"? Odin did not slay the frost giants just to be diminished by some insurance-selling camel.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:35 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm Think they would have accepted “Before Christian Era”?
Probably not.
I thought it was an alternate but I don't see anything saying it's ever been in use, and BCE's been around for 2 centuries...
My wonder is if they would have taken Childish Gambino. I blanked on Donald Glover's real name!
I started at Appian Way for FJ then decided that Hadrian's Wall was more of a Landmark. Not sure why I never thought of a more modern response... :roll:
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

floridagator wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 pm I hope that clue about BCE not a harbinger that the show is going to start referring to dates that way. I will absolutely stop watching if they do that. That is unacceptable culture warring.
seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 pm No matter how many times people say they're quitting (or have quit) watching Jeopardy for whatever reason, there's always more of them. I wish J! could alienate the alienation announcers once and for all.
English never was my best subject, is watching a synonym of posting?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:09 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 pm I hope that clue about BCE not a harbinger that the show is going to start referring to dates that way. I will absolutely stop watching if they do that. That is unacceptable culture warring.
seaborgium wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 pm No matter how many times people say they're quitting (or have quit) watching Jeopardy for whatever reason, there's always more of them. I wish J! could alienate the alienation announcers once and for all.
English never was my best subject, is watching a synonym of posting?
If it is, I wish you'd stop watching too.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm I don't consider 27 miles of it more notable than the rest of it. Why not just ten miles, or two miles?
I think the 27 miles was its length through the heart of Berlin separating the French/English/American sectors from the Russian sector (East Berlin).

The rest of the distance was surrounding the French/English/American sectors separating them from East Germany.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:00 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:44 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm I've been watching YouTube videos about the Standard Model and General Relativity for two months, but they could not lead me to "elementary" particles even with such a poetic clue. And it was in the second row :roll: . This might be pollworthy unless the boardies here can claim TS bragging rights.
I don't think I could keep watching PBS Space Time on Youtube if I missed that one
edit: this is my followup post but I have butchered the quote process :roll:

Yes, Matt does a great job, but I don't quite get sleepy enough and it's a little light on the math. There's a lot of good stuff out there besides just straight talking heads. I like Arvin Ash and Sabine Hossenfelder, but the visuals aren't as good. Minute Physics is great, but I think is over. Science Clic English is a great up and comer, and dives deeper on the technical stuff. I don't care for the Fermilab stuff with Dr. Lincoln.

I didn't miss the clue because I was too smart. It just evaded me as a term I take for granted, just like I assume that ear makeup is the foundational secret to beauty ;) .

============
As to the AD/BC convention being replaced by CE/BCE - good riddance. It's still a dubious reference point, but is as good as any other random date in principle, and does have backward compatibility to a large legacy of recorded history. I'm ready to convert to the Star Trek notation anytime. It will be a lot easier to set our time machines and avoid messy consequences
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Almost certainly.
Category 13 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 pm I had FJ solved pretty much as soon as Mayim finished reading the clue. I said 'Iron Curtain' instead of Berlin Wall, but I knew what they where looking for.
You realize though that that is not enough to be credited? "Iron curtain" is strictly metaphorical, and does not refer to any physical wall. Joseph Goebbels even used the term in one of his later diary entries.

I thought "Appian Way" was pretty out there for two people to guess it. I couldn't tell you its length, but I thought it well known that it goes back to the uncommon era. The Marathon reference may perhaps have put them in mind of the 1960 Rome marathon, but still....
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 pm I had FJ solved pretty much as soon as Mayim finished reading the clue. I said 'Iron Curtain' instead of Berlin Wall, but I knew what they where looking for.
You realize though that that is not enough to be credited? "Iron curtain" is strictly metaphorical, and does not refer to any physical wall. Joseph Goebbels even used the term in one of his later diary entries.
Never mind that if it is given a literal length, it's well longer than 90 miles.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Matt is one huge win away from a million…more likely will need 2 more games. If he has an off day, 3. Regardless of if or when he gets there, this run is crazy.

And I often have to remind myself that Matt almost didn’t even get past Game 1…makes you wonder what other players could have gone on insane runs if they simply survived an early scare.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:40 am
Almost certainly.
The Iron Curtain separated the Soviet bloc from Western Europe, and, to the extent it existed metaphorically or not, was a lot longer than 90 miles.

I whiffed. The whole thing about the marathon totally threw me off. Went with Hadrian for lack of anything else.

We're in 5782, duh (Happy New Year!). I don't get the whole BC/BCE/AD nonsense. We should dump that once and for all. I won't watch if they keep dating things that way.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I agree with previous posters that the mention of marathon was superfluous. We have been conditioned to think every word in a clue is there for a reason but in this case the comparison phrase was irrelevant. Unfortunately it led me to the Aegean area and I flailed around various Roman ruins, Olympic cities, etc. blindly.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

8/8. Had no confidence with the Berlin Wall guess, but three decades got me there. 96 miles seemed long and I found the wording awkward.

Matt had to work to make it a runaway. It may take a FJ miss for him to finally lose.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Picked Off wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 am Matt had to work to make it a runaway. It may take a FJ miss for him to finally lose.
Wrong DD on an all in wager, and misses the FJ seem like the likely scenario.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (NHO Full Frontal.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 am 59 R (NHO Full Frontal.)
Sixth time's the charm?
#8196, aired 2020-04-06 TV OF TODAY $800: This host has gotten political & gone "Full Frontal" on TBS since 2016
#7778, aired 2018-06-06 COMIC RELIEF $400: This "Full Frontal" host, getting to the point: "Don't judge me. I made a lot of money"
#7540, aired 2017-05-26 400 SHOWS ON IN 2017 $400: Here's a "Full Frontal" shot of this woman, host of a bitingly funny late night show
#7411, aired 2016-11-28 A SAMANTHA BEE $800: Before going "Full Frontal", Samantha Bee was a correspondent for this Comedy Central series
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Here's my thoughts FWIW; I would like to see a return to the five win format where the champion goes into a pool to play similar players with comparable experience and buzzer speed. I like Matt but I'd rather see three fresh faces more often. Although the game is the same, the "game" is over too quickly IMHO. fini
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:39 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 am 59 R (NHO Full Frontal.)
Sixth time's the charm?
#8196, aired 2020-04-06 TV OF TODAY $800: This host has gotten political & gone "Full Frontal" on TBS since 2016
#7778, aired 2018-06-06 COMIC RELIEF $400: This "Full Frontal" host, getting to the point: "Don't judge me. I made a lot of money"
#7540, aired 2017-05-26 400 SHOWS ON IN 2017 $400: Here's a "Full Frontal" shot of this woman, host of a bitingly funny late night show
#7411, aired 2016-11-28 A SAMANTHA BEE $800: Before going "Full Frontal", Samantha Bee was a correspondent for this Comedy Central series
If only people would learn... ;) :P
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

flemmingfan wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:04 am Here's my thoughts FWIW; I would like to see a return to the five win format where the champion goes into a pool to play similar players with comparable experience and buzzer speed. I like Matt but I'd rather see three fresh faces more often. Although the game is the same, the "game" is over too quickly IMHO. fini
Not a bad idea, actually. Maybe that's what they could use the prime time specials for. Replace the ToC with a series of these kind of qualifying tourneys.

I enjoy watching players like Matt, but it is a bit unfair to everyone who has to go against him.