Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, September 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

Considering that the grenades the Germans used in WWII were known as "potato mashers", it seems rather defeatist to call our own grenades "potatoes".

If Nora Ephron was not in fact the Greatest of All Time at Beverly Hills High, who was? Angelina Jolie? Lenny Kravitz? Laraine Newman? Or perhaps we should look at class valedictorians, or winners of the Humanitarian award? I can imagine some pretty heated arguments.

I also bit on "dog pound" for Gonzaga's basketball arena, but that's what I get for not keeping up. I was surprised no one knew who played in the Carrier Dome. Maybe they were looking for a team called the Pigeons.

I guessed "gothic" for the revival from medieval times. I realize "etsy" was meant to point to the answer but its hard for me to imagine arts and crafts disappearing for so long. What were the Girl Scouts doing all those years? On the bright side, it wouldn't likely have cost me $10,400.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:39 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:13 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 pm On the first clue of the game, I said "anthropomorphism" for "personification". Judges?
Definitely. But you only get it on reversal because we weren't prepared for it. That means your opponent got "personification" on the rebound and arguably won because of that. So we'll be inviting you back.
Had the same response, but this source differentiates the two.

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/gram ... phism.html

They're both figurative speech, so they fit the category, but it could be a tossup. They blew it with Barry/Berry, so I might not be hopeful about an invitation back.
But the real question is: is Scooby-Doo anthropomorphic? (Blast from the past for TD players)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'd meant to comment re Historic Women $400 that "First ladies' last words" would make a very cool category. I suspect, from my own difficulties in rounding up a few examples, that they tried to put one together but weren't able. Most of what turns up is their last words to their husbands, which I felt uncomfortable intruding on.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

squarekara wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:24 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:42 pm We ate at what passes for a fancy restaurant in Rolla, MO. . .
Is that little pie cafe still in business? Can't remember the name, but I do remember the Bumbleberry Pie!
Sounds like "A Slice of Pie". They're still in business in a new location. (I moved out of Rolla summer 2019 but still get back there occasionally.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:59 pm All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7150
Lefty’s above comment led me to read the Historic Women $400 clue and discover a stray period the system seemed to stick in.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:30 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:59 pm All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7150
Lefty’s above comment led me to read the Historic Women $400 clue and discover a stray period the system seemed to stick in.
The clue is archived as presented on the show and I've now added a note. Thanks.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Among all the other little things that could have cost Guhan the game, I thought it was generous to give Matt credit for "deferential" when the clue clearly wanted "deference." To refresh your memory:
Yield to another & you're showing this courteous regard
Yes, I'm aware that they frequently accept responses in the wrong part of speech, but it seems like a "DEF"INITIONS category calls for a stricter standard.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A Wray wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:04 pm Among all the other little things that could have cost Guhan the game, I thought it was generous to give Matt credit for "deferential" when the clue clearly wanted "deference." To refresh your memory:
Yield to another & you're showing this courteous regard
Yes, I'm aware that they frequently accept responses in the wrong part of speech, but it seems like a "DEF"INITIONS category calls for a stricter standard.
Only if they directly quote a dictionary. Also, the clue says "this courteous regard," which could be interpreted as seeking another modifier of "regard"; therefore one could imagine Matt's response as "What's deferential [regard]?" with little effort.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Watching closely. Matt Amodio had 50 buzz-in attempts. I think.

Ones he didn't buzz in for: Hummingbird, Syracuse, Maori, Mata Hari, Dust, Most Likely to Succeed, Ballad.
Douglas Squasoni