FJs for the 9/20/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 9/20/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

The Dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner
50%
A book by her says, "It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is 'soporific'... but then I am not a rabbit"
91%
96 miles in total during its 3-decade existence, the most well-known part of this was about the same length as an Olympic marathon
65%
In the King James Version, these creatures are a plague in Exodus 10, but deemed okay to eat in Leviticus 11
63%
Saying he ignored warnings of enemy vessels, the British admiralty sought to blame William Turner, this ship's last captain in 1915
92%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
21%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
STARTS WITH "B" $1200: Guinea is a small species of this primate
43%
SPORTS VENUE NICKNAMES $1000: Nicknamed "The Loud House", the Carrier Dome is the stadium of this university in New York state
62%
SIGNATURE SONGS $800: It's a drum, it's a dance, it's Miami Sound Machine's signature song
50%
Ghostbusters (1984) was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
4%
I have seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit in a theater or at a drive-in.
38%
I have seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit at home viewing.
43%
Hadrian's Wall was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
12%
Appian Way was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
I have seen the Berlin Wall in person.
15%
Frogs was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
33%
I have eaten locusts.
2%
I have eaten frog, frog legs, etc.
35%
If I had to eat locusts or frogs my choice would be locusts.
17%
If I had to eat locusts or frogs my choice would be frogs.
49%
I am 10/10 on FJ! clues this season.
8%
I am  5-9 out of 10 on FJ! clues this season.
70%
I am 0-4 out of 10 on FJ! clues this season.
8%

Total votes: 92

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: FJs for the 9/20/21 week

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:47 am My frog-eating experience was at a restaurant in Lyon, where I ordered the frog's legs and was brought a giant bowl that had at least five pounds of crispy-fried legs. I tried for a time to use fork and knife, but that revealed itself impractical. I think I got some dirty looks in the restaurant.
And those dirty looks were in French, so we're talking an extra helping of disdain!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:39 pm And those dirty looks were in French, so we're talking an extra helping of disdain!
Précisément
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:06 pm Sorry about running on, but the FJ generated some memories of a very emotional revisit.
No apologies necessary from my perspective. I found this fascinating. It also brought back memories of the fall of the Wall as it happened. I was teaching an Adult Ed class in politics that semester and brought in a BBC News video (VHS!!) so we could have a class discussion. Many of the participants were old enough to remember the end of the war and the creation of the Iron Curtain. Such a momentous event.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Saw WFRR in the theater when it first came out and several times over the years at home (as recently as early this year). If you've never seen the movie/haven't seen it in a while, it's available on Disney+ and I think still holds up 33 years later.

I was born in Syracuse and have been to 'Cuse games at the Carrier Dome.

I haven't eaten an animal in almost 15 years but would opt for locust over frog if forced to choose.

9/10 so far.
I would prefer not to.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Being a Disney fan paid off on Monday. Kinda feels good to have an instaget on the toughest clue for boardies this week.

I also approve of the 5-10 grouping for # correct. Had a 4/5 week this week, incorrectly going for Hadrian's Wall. Combine that with my 1/5 last week and I get to slip past the bouncer and join the top group. That won't last for long, I'm sure.
--Peter
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm a little surprised that "Dip" ended up being (statistically) the hardest of the week.

I still don't understand the Olympic marathon reference to the Berlin wall. Did we talk about that, and I missed it? Were marathons ever run along the West German side of the length of a section of the wall? (Pretty sure marathons run along the East German side would have had a mortality rate of their own.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :| :|

Got Monday at the 29 second mark so I'm not counting it. Second week of 4/5. In Friday's thread I wondered which would poll higher, Lusitania or Beatrix Potter. I predicted that both would poll over 80 percent and at least one over 90. As of this writing they're dead even at 93 percent.

Clammed on the three bonus clues. (Notice how I used the proper neutral face rather than the sad face to reflect that.) Saw WFRR in the theater, last week of June 1988. It was... ok. Never felt the need to see it again. (And yes, a year with almost all movies being ok or worse is a turd of a year. 1988 was the worst year since 1983 which, come to think of it, also followed on a very good year.) Never seen the Berlin Wall. It's on my list, though. I'll get around to it.

Never eaten locusts. Have eaten frog legs several times. They're pretty good. I'm surprised the number who chose locusts over frog is so high--16 percent. You guys understand you wouldn't be eating the squishy middle portion of the frog, right? The leg is good lean muscle meat. It doesn't taste like chicken exactly, but that's not a terrible comparison either. The important thing is that the texture or consistency is like chicken. If you ate frog legs blindfolded while suffering from a badly stuffed up nose, you might think you were eating chicken. I'm disappointed in the 31 percent of boardies who refused to answer which they would eat if forced. "Neither" is not an option. Play the game, weenies!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 pm I'm a little surprised that "Dip" ended up being (statistically) the hardest of the week.

I still don't understand the Olympic marathon reference to the Berlin wall. Did we talk about that, and I missed it? Were marathons ever run along the West German side of the length of a section of the wall? (Pretty sure marathons run along the East German side would have had a mortality rate of their own.)
Most difficult of the season for the first 10 games and does not surprise me as movie knowledge is not often the best for J! fans and FJ! clues. And that clue was no gimme (for a wider viewing audience) like some can be.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 pm I still don't understand the Olympic marathon reference to the Berlin wall. Did we talk about that, and I missed it? Were marathons ever run along the West German side of the length of a section of the wall? (Pretty sure marathons run along the East German side would have had a mortality rate of their own.)
I think the Olympic reference was an unintended red herring as they tried to drop a hint about comparative length. Pretty dastardly, it seems.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:49 pm Most difficult of the season for the first 10 games and does not surprise me as movie knowledge is not often the best for J! fans and FJ! clues. And that clue was no gimme (for a wider viewing audience) like some can be.
Certainly a gimme for me... having once witnessed the power of the Dip, its impression was indelible... in its... delibility...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The Dip is a fearsome thing in our home.
For inflicting ongoing PTSD, the excruciating anthropomorphic( ;) ) shoe scene is right up there with the harrowing Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Secret formula revealed:

Here's a POV of the Roger Rabbit dark ride at Disneyland. You can hear David Lander as one of the weasel thugs threatening riders with the glowing green stuff early on and once again near the end.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Said Hadrian's Wall Wednesday. 4/10 so far, which is better than I usually am.

Overthought the baboon clue and said bonobo.

I owned a tape of Who Framed Roger Rabbit as a kid. It was one of my favorites.

Ate frog legs at a buffet when I was very young. I remember liking them but haven't encountered them since.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 pm
I grumbled about the marathon reference in the daily thread, and I think there was some concurrence. So what if I know a marathon is 26 miles, 385 yards? I don't know why there was a need to isolate a 27 mile segment for the clue. The Sherlock Holmes angle was the best part of the clue, but you can't get to it if you wasted time thinking of a sporting event.

I've caught frogs, cleaned them and eaten their legs. They are delicious white meat, and per the cliche, they taste like chicken. The sport involves wading snake infested creeks at midnight with a flashlight and grabbing them by hand. Perfect activity for a young teenager, not so compelling for an adult. I got squeamish at the killing/cleaning process and probably quit when I was 20 years old.

As to locusts, I'm actually not into crunchy snacks of any kind :lol: . On my one trip to Bangkok we went to a local swap meet / flea market and there were dozens of vendors of fried larvae (?), grubs, and insects. We would see the most darling and cute teenage girls walking around eating them like Americans pop M&M's.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:( :D :D :D :D

No clue on Monday's FJ. Never saw the movie and know almost nothing of the plot. Did OK otherwise and I'm now 8/10 on FJs in the new season.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

On a Shark Tank a few years back an entrepreneur was trying to make cricket protein snacks happen.

Narrator: They did not make cricket protein snacks happen.