Wednesday, September 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

FJ Spoiler:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Pegasus was my pre-call, so that worked out well!
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:13 pm
Just give the first name on DD3, Matt. You know that last name only business was not gonna fly on that one.
This seemed rude. I would have been happy to see him negged. So is "more information please" the first BMS of Mayim's run?

What was with Johnny reading the lyrics category? Do you think Mayim wants to take a pass on reading (or singsonging) song lyrics and doing crude (or decent) impersonations? Alex never met a rap lyric he wouldn't try. Maybe it's equivalent to doing a nude scene - it may endanger your career :lol:.

I got to horse on the FJ clue, and went with the only named horse I know. But like Matt K, I am befuddled at the absurdity of mythological biology.

I thought that Matt sensed danger today and kept his wagers safe until the danger was past.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got FJ from the “hippo” connection.
Knew clafoutis but have never eaten one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:38 pm
Just give the first name on DD3, Matt. You know that last name only business was not gonna fly on that one.
This seemed rude. I would have been happy to see him negged.
Really? I think it's smart game play. Never give more information than is necessary. Pretty sure the green room discussion even states a last name is sufficient unless told otherwise and you will be prompted to be more specific if more is needed (except for FJ where you need to make the judgment call yourself).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

T.J. Tallie, the champion from late last year, makes clafoutis and posts them on Facebook sometimes, so I got that.

The proper noun is /ˈkɒn.kəɹd/, and the common noun, which the clue sought and Matt gave, is /ˈkɒn.kɔɹd/.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:38 pm What was with Johnny reading the lyrics category? Do you think Mayim wants to take a pass on reading (or singsonging) song lyrics and doing crude (or decent) impersonations? Alex never met a rap lyric he wouldn't try. Maybe it's equivalent to doing a nude scene - it may endanger your career :lol:.
Johnny's read other lyric categories in the past and they seem to average one narrated by him a year though the last was 4 years ago.
https://j-archive.com/search.php?search ... mit=Search
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:38 pm
This seemed rude. I would have been happy to see him negged.
Really? I think it's smart game play. Never give more information than is necessary. Pretty sure the green room discussion even states a last name is sufficient unless told otherwise and you will be prompted to be more specific if more is needed (except for FJ where you need to make the judgment call yourself).
No, not really, but only because I wouldn't want the ruling to break Twitter. I think it crosses the line from smart to smart-aleck. Just because something is legal doesn't make it OK. It's called class. I doubt if he had to flip a coin between Edith (PSA: T.R.'s wife) and Eleanor .

On a segue, I wonder if they would accept Mrs. Franklin Roosevelt for a response? It is specific ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
ACW

Post by ACW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:20 pm
ACW wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:15 pm So according to this, Matt's 1 away from tying James for 2nd most wins all-time...and yet isn't even at half the winnings :shock: :shock:
According to this?

How about according to watching the game?
Well, considering it doesn't air for me until 7:30 PM ET :P
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Even if he was being a smart-aleck by just saying Roosevelt, it wouldn’t have bothered me too much if she hadn’t given a BMS. Edith died in 1948 (and was born in 1861), so it is unlikely she’d have been a Nobel candidate in 1962. Not quite the same as Bush or Adams.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Even though I've eaten and even made a clafoutis at one time, I'd be hard pressed to call it a pie, which to me requires a pastry crust. It's generally a baked custard with cherries or some sort of berries.

Did not know about the Medusa - Pegasus connection, but like others got this FJ from hippo.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another Centaur here. Blast.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:43 pm I've never really understood how a horse gets birthed from somebody's head.
[Pallas Athena looking at her toes, kicking the dirt]
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 am
In an earlier thread, I’d mentioned how Matt has grown on me during his run. He really seems quite humble and nice on screen. Judging from this Twitter post, he’s also a class act.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:37 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 am
In an earlier thread, I’d mentioned how Matt has grown on me during his run. He really seems quite humble and nice on screen. Judging from this Twitter post, he’s also a class act.
I know some people are going to hate him just for being so successful on the show, but there's really no rational reason to dislike Matt. He just seems like an all-around nice guy from everything we've seen and heard.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

To have $15,000 going into FJ without hitting a DD while competing against Matt is pretty impressive. So he certainly had TOC potential if not for really bad luck in who he faced.

I once worked in a grocery store where a regular customer was a guy who taught a mythology class at the local university. A co-worker had been in his class. One day he was in my line and the co-worker was nearby and struck up a conversation about his class. He said his latest assignment was for the students to draw a family tree for the gods. I said that must be difficult when you have people being born out of someone’s head.