Thursday, September 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Thursday, September 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

I feel that, as written, either response would be acceptable. I strongly suspect that a better-pinned version of the clue (looking for the dam) had to be edited down for character length.

(I said Suez Canal, a whiff on a slider in the dirt.)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:39 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:56 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:16 am
davey wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:34 am
alietr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

I didn't think about it at the time, but the category was "Historic Structures", so I'm going to give it to Matt and neg you. I also thought of Lake Nasser. The clue wasn't written well, but it was clear what they were going for.
What's wrong with the clue? Matt understood it. I understood it. You've just pointed out how it's to be understood. It doesn't mention being "under" anything.
Agreed. Perfectly fine clue and the only acceptable response was "Aswan (High) Dam."
The 'historic structure' could also be the Abu Simbel complex. The response is not always what the category references, sometimes the category reference is in the clue itself.
Good point. I agree that Lake Nassar would have to be accepted. I suspect they expected the Aswan High Dam, though.

Might be a good extra for the weekly poll? "I answered Lake Nassar" or "I answered Aswan (High) Dam."
Yes, I agree, a fine point and the response can be accepted. But come on...Lake Nasser only exists because of the dam.The dam is the ultimate cause of the relocation.
BTW, the show last referred to the Aswan Dam's creation in Feb., and before that in 2012.
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game ... ight=aswan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:21 am IMHO, the numbers should be taken out of it. "the term for a golf score that is two under par for the hole'. Okay, there is still a number in it :roll: . Most (99.999%?) hole-in-one's are eagles, which doesn't seem congruent with the much easier (more probable, anyway) task of making two great shots and one lucky one to take a three on a par five.
Just make it, "The term for a golf score that lies in between a birdie and an albatross".
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

"Lady of Shall-et" really grated on my ears. As a repeat viewer of the Meghan Follows version of Anne of Green Gables, I know better.