Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RetiredDoc
Contributor

Re: Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RetiredDoc »

Immediately thought of Chicago when I saw the FJ answer, but then registered the 1906 to get San Francisco (good thing, since I grew up in the Bay Area).
Happy to have the run the Bands They Fronted category.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 pm If Matt breaks Ken's streak, by my count it would be on Nov 29. I wonder if that's one of Ken's hosting weeks?
I wonder what Standards and Practices would/will say about that. The current record holder in a position to influence the outcome of games played by someone close to beating that record. It's easy to blow this off and say it's a rare game where the host could influence the outcome, especially without being obvious about it. And pretty much everyone knows that Ken's not the kind of guy who would use that influence anyway. Still... there's a little whiff of frog to it when we'd prefer everything to be locust.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:54 pm Let's go crazy and give Matt 100 wins and not have him done until January. A couple of tournament winners and a TOCer better than 3x and 75K for each month the rest of this season will be enough to fill a TOC field for next season and November 2022 to keep it 4X and above.

Or Matt gets the KJ treatment to be paid off with $250K minimum to participate in a special greats tourney and bypasses a regular TOC. Either way J! does not have to worry about Kelly one way or the other.
If Matt goes 100 games and lasts till January, the obvious thing to do is crown him the new host. Boom. Two problems solved.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

davey wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:39 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm Instaget San Francisco, then second-guessed myself with Chicago because of the Irish name, then looked back at the date and went back to SF.

Mayim clearly doesn't put in the level of preparation Alex did. He would never have butchered the pronunciation of either Galway or Drogheda, let alone both. Butchering Drogheda is a bit more understandable, except that ten seconds on Google would have given her what she needed.
Maybe she did spend 10 seconds on Google, since it's quite easy to find a video or 2 that match her pronunciation of Drogheda, like this one....

A few more seconds lead to others that don't.
I'm guessing this one is good (at about :40)...

I said yesterday I'm not great with dates. Like the start of WW2 or Lincoln's assassination, the FJ date is an exception. Very surprised that only Matt got it...
You're right about the second one, and no surprise; the human presenter is Irish. He also shows the correct pronunciation of Galway at the beginning. The machine presenter in the first is wrong, and different from Mayim's pronunciation - hers was more like Drogg-heeda.

In response to earlier commenter, I'm aware that she is just settling in to the role. Overall she's doing very well and nothing I said contradicted that. However, this was an example of an area for improvement; no more, no less.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:24 pm I thought the Ireland category was tough.
Trust me, it was. My British spouse only got two, and I couldn't pull the Drogheda one in time despite learning about the Battle of the Boyne in school and driving over that bridge multiple times in my teens and early twenties.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Parachuting instead of skydiving here.

Congrats to Matt (again) on this latest milestone. It couldn’t have come at a better time for the show.

Thought it was a very easy final and I’m not surprised he nailed it.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
davey

Post by davey »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:52 am
davey wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:39 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm Instaget San Francisco, then second-guessed myself with Chicago because of the Irish name, then looked back at the date and went back to SF.

Mayim clearly doesn't put in the level of preparation Alex did. He would never have butchered the pronunciation of either Galway or Drogheda, let alone both. Butchering Drogheda is a bit more understandable, except that ten seconds on Google would have given her what she needed.
Maybe she did spend 10 seconds on Google, since it's quite easy to find a video or 2 that match her pronunciation of Drogheda, like this one....

You're right about the second one, and no surprise; the human presenter is Irish. He also shows the correct pronunciation of Galway at the beginning. The machine presenter in the first is wrong, and different from Mayim's pronunciation - hers was more like Drogg-heeda.
You should listen again. Her pronunciation matches this one. There's no g sound in it.
Golf

Post by Golf »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:57 am
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:24 pm I thought the Ireland category was tough.
Trust me, it was. My British spouse only got two, and I couldn't pull the Drogheda one in time despite learning about the Battle of the Boyne in school and driving over that bridge multiple times in my teens and early twenties.
Other than Battle of Boyne, I don’t think it was tough, rather odd clues where you didn’t have to know anything about Ireland.

1st clue, the capital. No brainer.
2nd clue, native language. No brainer.
3rd clue, must sniff out the TOM which in this case isn’t a given. Then you gotta know the song.
4th clue, another TOM. Blah blah blah CRYSTAL.

If you parse clues 3 and 4 correctly, they’re cake. Otherwise not so much. Sometimes Jeopardy is more about playing the game than knowing facts.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Golf wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:45 am
Other than Battle of Boyne, I don’t think it was tough, rather odd clues where you didn’t have to know anything about Ireland.

3rd clue, must sniff out the TOM which in this case isn’t a given. Then you gotta know the song.

If you parse clues 3 and 4 correctly, they’re cake. Otherwise not so much. Sometimes Jeopardy is more about playing the game than knowing facts.
I did get all of those, but the category is a case where knowing too much can hurt rather than help - eg Galway Crystal is as well-known in Ireland, though not internationally, and no Irish person refers to the native language as "Irish Gaelic". It's either - according to the Constitution - "Irish" or "Gaoilge" depending on which language you are speaking at the time.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'm certain I missed the third daily double because I've been watching Jeopardy too long. The phrase says "blazed a trail" I'm going to Kit Carson, the trailblazer. Had the clue said, made or created a trail. I would have focused more on the Kansas/Oklahoma area. Chisholm isn't a hard pull from that.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm Mayim clearly doesn't put in the level of preparation Alex did. He would never have butchered the pronunciation of either Galway or Drogheda, let alone both. Butchering Drogheda is a bit more understandable, except that ten seconds on Google would have given her what she needed.
I don't know about Alex, but I think Michael Richards would have done better. He really did impress me with his apparent preparation, judging by his pronunciations.

I knew how to say Galway but not Drogheda. I'd probably have offered something like "DRO-ke-da". I usually check Forvo before Google.

I read "horseman" but could easily imagine horse-drawn fire engines. If I'd read it right, I'd have wondered whether the "hoseman" was the ace reliever for the Chicago White Sox "hitless wonders".
I'm smart and I want respect.
ldfghjkl

Post by ldfghjkl »

Golf wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:45 am

3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song. Couldn't have gotten it on Wheel of Fortune looking at T _ P P E R A R Y.

4th clue, never heard of Waterford Crystal, never heard of Waterford. Again, I have no idea where anyone who doesn't, say, work in the glass-making industry would have ever learned about either. Couldn't have gotten _ A T E R F O R D.

5th clue, I learned about the Battle of Boyne when reading about the Glorious Revolution and Jacobitism. Not an easy clue, of course.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:51 am
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 pm If Matt breaks Ken's streak, by my count it would be on Nov 29. I wonder if that's one of Ken's hosting weeks?
I wonder what Standards and Practices would/will say about that. The current record holder in a position to influence the outcome of games played by someone close to beating that record. It's easy to blow this off and say it's a rare game where the host could influence the outcome, especially without being obvious about it. And pretty much everyone knows that Ken's not the kind of guy who would use that influence anyway. Still... there's a little whiff of frog to it when we'd prefer everything to be locust.
Could he really influence the outcome of the games? The correct responses will still be the correct responses. It's not as if KJ could steer MA away from wherever the DDs are. Bad rulings are reviewed by judges, and it would be pretty tough for KJ to make fake bad rulings without it being insanely obvious.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I misread/misheard "hoseman" as "horseman" and couldn't shift gears in time. Even after that, the date failed to trigger anything important.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm 3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song. Couldn't have gotten it on Wheel of Fortune looking at T _ P P E R A R Y.
The World War I-era song "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" is the first one heard in this medley in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," so it's long been part of the zeitgeist (I know, the song doesn't have the lyrics here, but it's certainly a familiar song to me, and I was born about 55 years after the Armistice.)

4th clue, never heard of Waterford Crystal, never heard of Waterford. Again, I have no idea where anyone who doesn't, say, work in the glass-making industry would have ever learned about either.
Or anyone who's ever shopped for crystal (say, for their wedding registry), or gotten it as a gift. It's extremely well-known as a brand name.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:53 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm 3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song. Couldn't have gotten it on Wheel of Fortune looking at T _ P P E R A R Y.
The World War I-era song "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" is the first one heard in this medley in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," so it's long been part of the zeitgeist (I know, the song doesn't have the lyrics here, but it's certainly a familiar song to me, and I was born about 55 years after the Armistice.)
Crow sang a reasonably close version of it in MST3K: The Movie as he tried digging a tunnel from space to Earth
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The King's Choice (7), The Lego Ninjago Movie (3), Dishonored (6), The Sorcerer and the White Snake (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm 3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song.

In college I had to go to the E/R after trying to save a cheap Berghoff beer stein that slipped out of my hands in soapy water in the sink. The medical staff heard my explanation, turned to each other, and repeated in unison, "Waterford and Wedgwood." Don't lacerate yourself for something you can replace for $3.99.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

4th clue, never heard of Waterford Crystal, never heard of Waterford. Again, I have no idea where anyone who doesn't, say, work in the glass-making industry would have ever learned about either. Couldn't have gotten _ A T E R F O R D.

5th clue, I learned about the Battle of Boyne when reading about the Glorious Revolution and Jacobitism. Not an easy clue, of course.
1) So, you learned about the Battle of Boyne from a book, but don't see how someone else could have learned about the other two from a book as well?
2) Both Tipperary and Waterford are mentioned over a dozen times in the Archive, so maybe that's where some learned it?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

squarekara wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:08 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm 3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song.

In college I had to go to the E/R after trying to save a cheap Berghoff beer stein that slipped out of my hands in soapy water in the sink. The medical staff heard my explanation, turned to each other, and repeated in unison, "Waterford and Wedgwood." Don't lacerate yourself for something you can replace for $3.99.
The final episode of MTM is my main source for that song. I just now got to see the show. I didn’t see it Friday because we left to go to our nephew’s wedding. He said they had a post-wedding trip planned to Minneapolis. My wife said they should go see the statue of Moore and her house. Her nephew and his bride (both 31 or 32 years old) never heard of her. Neither had my son and his girlfriend (both 24). I feel old.

I think I have vaguely heard of Boyne but didn’t get it here. I don’t work in the glass-making business but I certainly have heard of Waterford.

FJ was an instaget. I did read it as horseman and not hoseman. But it helped me in a way as it steered me westward as I pictured the guy riding around on his horse trying to help and getting killed when a building fell on him. And the year made it an easy solve.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

And this:

I'm smart and I want respect.