Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Matt had himself quite a week with three $50K+ games including a $70K+ game and is closing in on a $40K average. Unstoppable.

Someone needs to take the DDs away when they gain control and cash in on them. At least do some studying on Roger Craig and try to find the optimum places where those DD may be. Of course, opponents aren’t gaining control for extended periods…
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

yclept wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:11 pm Matt had himself quite a week with three $50K+ games including a $70K+ game and is closing in on a $40K average. Unstoppable.

Someone needs to take the DDs away when they gain control and cash in on them. At least do some studying on Roger Craig and try to find the optimum places where those DD may be. Of course, opponents aren’t gaining control for extended periods…
Small correction: Matt actually had four games this past week where he surpassed $50,000. The only one where he didn't was when he won $33,000 on the September 27 episode.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

yclept wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:11 pm
In this game there were 53 correct answers and Matt had 41 of them. Take out his daily doubles and he got 39 right. You can see that Matt won the buzzer race 40 (he got 38 right and missed 2) out of 52 times (he got one correct on the rebound, buzzer loss). If you assume Matt had 10 question where he rang in and nobody else did. He's winning the buzzer race at a little over 70% of the time when he is buzzing in against another person and this includes the many answers when all three are ringing in. It also assumes Matt rang in on every question that his competitors answered correctly.

Simple question. How do you get control of the board with someone who has the timing down that well? Matts knowledge base if very good. His buzzer timing is just amazing.

I always figured that if you were winning the buzzer race 50% of the time that it was pretty good, and would go a long way to winning a couple of games. Think of Samantha. She rang in first 6 times. How many times you think she rang in? I'd say at least 30 and probably more. I mean. Shes on jeopardy. She was winning the buzzer race one in five or one is six times, maybe even one in seven. It has to be frustrating to the other players.
Last edited by Sherm on Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:32 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm 3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song. Couldn't have gotten it on Wheel of Fortune looking at T _ P P E R A R Y.

4th clue, never heard of Waterford Crystal, never heard of Waterford. Again, I have no idea where anyone who doesn't, say, work in the glass-making industry would have ever learned about either. Couldn't have gotten _ A T E R F O R D.

5th clue, I learned about the Battle of Boyne when reading about the Glorious Revolution and Jacobitism. Not an easy clue, of course.
1) So, you learned about the Battle of Boyne from a book, but don't see how someone else could have learned about the other two from a book as well?
Don't get me wrong, it could totally happen. I just don't know what they'd be reading and why they'd be reading about it. As opposed to the Glorious Revolution, which is one of those big unavoidable historical topics like the Crusades or the birth of modern science or the colonization of Africa that you kind of can't help but hear about and read about from time to time.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Here how it works.

The clue says "its a long way to" this city...... The answer is Tipperary. I've heard the song many times.

Waterford crystal I've heard of. Never knew it was a city. Until one day years ago. They talk about an Irish town associated with crystal as a question on Jeopardy. Turns out its Waterford. Now I know that.

Battle of Boyne. If I've heard of it I didn't remember it. Will I remember it years from now? Possibly your comment tying it into the glorious revolution might help. Thank You. I can say it was my intention to go on wiki and look it up. I've yet to do it.

That's how it goes for all of this stuff. One of the best things I've ever heard that sticks with me to this day.

I had a HS chemistry teacher. Easily the hardest HS class I had. The SOB was teaching a college coarse to HS kids. I found that out later when I aced my college chemistry. Thats when I grew to like the SOB. A student complained that his test were to hard. You know what his answer was.

Why are my test hard? Seems to me if you knew the answers, my tests would be easy.

If you know the answer, no matter how you got it. The question is easy. That $2000 question was easy for you. Guess what. It wasn't for me.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was in San Francisco during the 90th anniversary of the earthquake so I wasn't missing that one. When there is both a name and a date in a final Jeopardy clue, the date is usually the important thing and the name a distraction. The Irish name is what led Samantha to Boston. I have no idea how the other guy wound up in Pittsburgh.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:56 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm The FJ! clue had me match Matt. Since I am at home playing for fun I know I was finished writing before him since I went with the shortest of the shortcuts.
I knew there was no chance you'd miss this one!
Yes, 1906 means more here than in other places. I have to capitalize on home court advantage in the FJ! round. A miss would have been even more haunting than the one that still bugs me, It.
Yeah, 1906 did it for me as well. Of course we know the date of the SF earthquake. I also recall seeing photographs taken at the time from an airplane like the Wright Flyer, with a notation that they were the first aerial photos ever taken of a natural disaster. The fires were very much in evidence.

I also remember because the earthquake took place in the same year (and darned near the same day) as my father's birth. Twain came in with Halley's comet, and dad with the SF earthquake.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:56 pm Yes, 1906 means more here than in other places. I have to capitalize on home court advantage in the FJ! round. A miss would have been even more haunting than the one that still bugs me, It.
From this game? I would have thought 1914 would have been more bothersome (and speaking of years)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:56 pm Yes, 1906 means more here than in other places. I have to capitalize on home court advantage in the FJ! round. A miss would have been even more haunting than the one that still bugs me, It.
From this game? I would have thought 1914 would have been more bothersome (and speaking of years)
1914 does not bother me because it's not something I should have known. Even if I had taken a better approach of a WWI era year I've always thought I would have gone with 1916 or 1917. The day was a win for me in getting to play a second game and I was perfectly fine with not having to go through all of a taping day again the next day.

When replaying that game in my head it's always about a different wagering approach (I should have been chicken between the category and already being 3/5 for the week) in possibly not covering third place. Things like only betting down to pretty 10K or Will's 9200 instead of up to Will's potential 18400.

It's funny to read my words after the It miss as I have not been able to fully laugh it off and instead get reminders every so often about blowing that clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:30 am It's funny to read my words after the It miss as I have not been able to fully laugh it off and instead get reminders every so often about blowing that clue.
But what was on the line for you with that clue?

I'm really upset at myself today because I let some installers put permanent holes in my house that they shouldn't have. I could be less mad at myself if this wasn't the second time the exact same thing happened to me (at different residences).

But missing some trivia I saw on TV? That's not something I could stay mad about even for one second...
Leander

Post by Leander »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:43 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm 3rd clue, never heard of the song, never heard of Tipperary. I searched j-archive to look at other clues about the city, and I have no idea where anyone would have ever learned about this city or song. Couldn't have gotten it on Wheel of Fortune looking at T _ P P E R A R Y.

4th clue, never heard of Waterford Crystal, never heard of Waterford. Again, I have no idea where anyone who doesn't, say, work in the glass-making industry would have ever learned about either. Couldn't have gotten _ A T E R F O R D.

5th clue, I learned about the Battle of Boyne when reading about the Glorious Revolution and Jacobitism. Not an easy clue, of course.
1) So, you learned about the Battle of Boyne from a book, but don't see how someone else could have learned about the other two from a book as well?
Don't get me wrong, it could totally happen. I just don't know what they'd be reading and why they'd be reading about it. As opposed to the Glorious Revolution, which is one of those big unavoidable historical topics like the Crusades or the birth of modern science or the colonization of Africa that you kind of can't help but hear about and read about from time to time.
Of course the funny thing is that millions of people know about Waterford crystal, and I'd wager few of them have read about the Glorious Revolution (or remember what they might have read about it in school).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:43 pm

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but all the things you listed seem like they'd very easy to know nothing about. I wouldn't call them "unavoidable" at all.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:45 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:41 pm I glanced at the clue, thought, "Oh, Chicago! That's so easy!"

About halfway through the think music, I looked again and saw the date. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities and I've been there many times. Thankfully, I would have had time to fix my response.

MarkBarrett, what was your shortest of shortcuts?
Only S.F. went on my page though I guess I could have not bothered with the periods to shorten it even more? Am I setting myself up for some kind of Santa Fe rebuttal? :)
Maaaaybe. :-D
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I also thought of San Fernando, which as it turns out did not exist as an incorporated city in 1906. But Santa Fe of course predates all the others significantly.