FJs for the 9/27/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve for the 9/27/21 week?

Poll runs till Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:50 pm

A new studio album in 2020 gave him a Top 5 album in 6 consecutive decades, his first in 1975
46%
It's the only continent with its mainland lying in all 4 hemispheres as defined by the equator & the prime meridian
88%
The Hippocrene Spring, sacred to the Muses, was so named because this offspring of Medusa brought it into being
60%
A 2000 Library of Congress exhibit called this 1900 work "America's greatest and best-loved homegrown fairytale"
66%
The April 26, 1906 edition of The Call, a newspaper in this city, reported on the heroic death of hoseman James O'Neil
77%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
17%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
ELECTORAL COLLEGE COLLAGE $2000: Maine & this Midwestern state are the 2 that don't have winner-take-all electoral vote policies
78%
JACK $1600: This titan of comic book art collaborated with Stan Lee to create the Fantastic Four & many more
39%
SCIENCE $2000: It's the common term for animals of the order Lagomorpha
52%
Bob Dylan was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
11%
Centaur was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
8%
HISTORIC STRUCTURES $1600: In the 1960s Egypt's Abu Simbel temple complex was relocated so it would not be submerged by the creation of this - My response was Aswan (High) Dam.
47%
HISTORIC STRUCTURES $1600: In the 1960s Egypt's Abu Simbel temple complex was relocated so it would not be submerged by the creation of this - My response was Lake Nasser.
24%
Oops, I missed the Thursday FJ! clue with something written by a non-American.
7%
I included (or would have written) the word "Wonderful" as part of my response for the Thursday FJ! clue.
16%
Chicago was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
17%
A place in the state of New York was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
1%
I have set foot in San Francisco (and SFO Airport does not count).
59%
I have experienced an earthquake in San Francisco.
11%

Total votes: 92

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 9/27/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROCK LEGENDS

9/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A new studio album in 2020 gave him a Top 5 album in 6 consecutive decades, his first in 1975

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CONTINENTS

9/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only continent with its mainland lying in all 4 hemispheres as defined by the equator & the prime meridian

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MYTHOLOGY

9/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Hippocrene Spring, sacred to the Muses, was so named because this offspring of Medusa brought it into being

9/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S LITERATURE

9/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2000 Library of Congress exhibit called this 1900 work "America's greatest and best-loved homegrown fairytale"

10/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

10/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The April 26, 1906 edition of The Call, a newspaper in this city, reported on the heroic death of hoseman James O'Neil

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(Bruce) Springsteen
Africa
Pegasus
The Wizard of Oz
San Francisco
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 1-3-1-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have three that Matt got correct.

ELECTORAL COLLEGE COLLAGE $2000: Maine & this Midwestern state are the 2 that don't have winner-take-all electoral vote policies

JACK $1600: This titan of comic book art collaborated with Stan Lee to create the Fantastic Four & many more

SCIENCE $2000: It's the common term for animals of the order Lagomorpha

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Nebraska
Jack Kirby
rabbits
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 9/27/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bob Dylan over Eric Clapton

Aswan High Dam

I have lived in San Francisco my whole life and have experienced dozens, to hundreds to thousands of quakes depending on level of actually feeling the movement.

Polling about season-wide FJ! clue success will not be a weekly thing since not everyone counts or cares. If you are 15/15 though, feel free to post about it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Quizizz Jammer

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Aswan High Dam
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: ×8

I thought my streak would end at 9 on Monday, but I got a lucky guess.
Aswan High Dam.
I did include Wonderful. My first two thoughts were British works (Alice and Peter), but I knew that so dismissed both.
I've been to Palo Alto, but that's as far north as I got. No earthquakes.
Last edited by Plactus on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Mon - Dylan

Lake Nasser

Been to SF four(?) times but never (knowingly) experienced an earthquake there
(But to be honest, it'd take a 5.0 for me to really clue in)

Edit: FWIW, I spent 2 years in Berkeley and can't recall an earthquake that whole time either...but, again, parenthetical.
Last edited by Volante on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The King's Choice (7), The Lego Ninjago Movie (3), Dishonored (6), The Sorcerer and the White Snake (7)
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

:mrgreen: :( :(
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Did not include wonderful
“creation” led me to Lake Nasser, not the dam
Have spent several days in SF on two visits, did not experience an earthquake.
DBear

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: (The Tale of Peter Rabbit) :mrgreen:
Lake Nasser. Dams by themselves do not cause flooding, lakes do. :geek:
11/15 FJ for the year
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I'm a SoCal native, but San Francisco is my favorite city. ❤🌉
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

I am not actually any good at Final Jeopardy - I'm below 50% in actual games, though somewhat higher at home - but yeah, 15/15 so far. Pretty convinced Matt's streak will outlive mine.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(
I screwed up Monday by veering away from The Boss...but the season's turning around for me, I can feel it... :lol:
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

This should have been a 4/5 at worst, but I just kept misfiring.

Didn't know that Springsteen released anything in the 21st century.

Got the prime merdian and international date line mixed up and stalled out.

"Offspring of Medusa" had me stuck in humanoid forms and not ever considering Pegasus.

Thursday, I took "Fairy tale" too literally and couldn't shift from Hans Christian Andersen/Grimm Brothers, neither of whom are American.

Misheard "hoseman" as "horseman", which distracted me from fully taking the date in.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Not only have I experienced an earthquake in San Francisco, I was at the stadium currently known as Oracle Park for one. It was very minor (didn't stop play or anything), and the organist followed it up by playing "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" during the next break between innings.
RetiredDoc
Contributor

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Not a great week!

Grew up in the Bay Area, though I have lived in LA for over 40 years - but you can't take the Bay Area out of the girl! I have experienced earthquakes in SF and LA.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

My first genuine 5/5 of the season. (I voted 5/5 for the first week, but I was spoiled on the season premiere and gave it to myself to preserve the absence of FJ negs I had.)

I didn't neg at all, let alone with a non-American's work, on Thursday, but I did give Beatrix Potter more consideration than I ought to have done, and it wasn't nationality that caused me to rule her out, but rather my deciding the "fairy tale" label didn't quite apply to her work. I kept the wizard unmodified in my response.

I was beaten to it before I could formulate my response, but I think my thought process was leading me to name the dam instead of the lake, so I voted Aswan.

I've set foot in San Francisco on several occasions thanks to a handful of choir trips since 2004. No earthquakes, though. (And no SFO, actually; the 2004 trip was exclusively by bus, and I believe we flew into and out of San Jose on the others.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I assumed you meant the San Francisco area, as opposed to San Francisco proper, and responded accordingly.

The first time, I was at Apple's HQ, and someone came up to us as we exited a building and asked, "Did you feel it?" I did not.

The second time, we were in Redwood City and it happened in the middle of the night and woke us both up. I knew immediately what was going on, but my wife woke up and asked me why I was jumping on the bed. Unfortunately, I can't say that was a completely unreasonable question.

And then there was the DC earthquake (which admittedly isn't responsive to Mark's poll). I definitely felt that one.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:44 am And then there was the DC earthquake (which admittedly isn't responsive to Mark's poll). I definitely felt that one.
Heck, I felt that one in Manhattan.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Included "Wonderful" in my response but would probably not if I was on the show.

Aswan High Dam.
I would prefer not to.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

I experienced the 1957 earthquake in San Francisco (oddly, it was a 5.7 on the Richter scale). It was described as minimal damage- only one death. What I remember most was that my instinct was to run outside, but the earthquake jammed the door in its frame and so I couldn't escape.

I also experienced a 5.9 earthquake in Bangkok in 1975. Earthquakes were so rarely felt in Bangkok that an elderly Thai colleague said (I'm showing off a bit here) "phom khit waa, phom mai sabaay"- "I thought I wasn't well", to generalized laughter.

I overthought the Wizard of Oz final - thought it was too obvious and picked "Babe and the Blue Ox"- but that's a Paul Bunyan story, not a book, and predates the Wizard of Oz.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

After going 4 for 10 and really not close on many of them suddenly the clues come my way for my second ever box of glory. The rabbit question was over before I could process it, but I don't think I would ever have gone with bunny rabbits.

I got Springsteen simply because I only have one or two artists in my database, and I didn't think it was Elton John.

I missed the episode on the Aswan Dam but would not have guessed it as I thought it was a 1950's project.

I've never felt an earthquake, although we had one shake our glassware, but didn't feel it. It might have been one of those fracking related ones from Oklahoma. I was also underground in a Tokyo subway during a decent sized temblor (?) which resulted in emptying us into the terminal while they did status checks on tunnels and trains. Everybody but us knew what was going on but the locals were very helpful to explain it to us.

I've been to SanFran a few times. Froze my ass off in Candlestick park in June.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.