Tuesday, October 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:45 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 pm "You are what you eat".
That's what I went with on a snap judgment. Had I taken the full 30 seconds, I might have come up with the correct response.
I had nothing until about 25 seconds in when I focused on "fruit". Managed to write "an apple a day...". Yes, put the ellipsis since I knew I didn't have time for the rest and would hope for good luck in judging.
Even if you got this one pretty soon, the time you had left would not have been much to write a response this long. If thinking took you 15-20 seconds, would you have any chance at all to finish? Whereas most clues allow you almost all of the think music to think rather than write, ones like this don't seem quite as fair.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

John Boy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:07 pm
triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:45 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:41 pm "You are what you eat".
That's what I went with on a snap judgment. Had I taken the full 30 seconds, I might have come up with the correct response.
I had nothing until about 25 seconds in when I focused on "fruit". Managed to write "an apple a day...". Yes, put the ellipsis since I knew I didn't have time for the rest and would hope for good luck in judging.
Even if you got this one pretty soon, the time you had left would not have been much to write a response this long. If thinking took you 15-20 seconds, would you have any chance at all to finish? Whereas most clues allow you almost all of the think music to think rather than write, ones like this don't seem quite as fair.
I write very fast, and had the game awareness to go with "..." knowing I didn't have time for the rest. A player also has more than the think music time, they can start writing as soon as the clue is revealed.

I do agree that long responses required is a BS thing they need to avoid.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:22 am
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 am I got nowhere on this FJ... I certainly should have, but nope... All I had was "Food Pyramid".

I do have a complaint, though... "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is NOT a phrase. It has a subject and verb, making it a sentence.

I still should have had it, though...
This would be a good argument to use if you wrote An apple a day..., as a poster noted above and they ruled against. Yes, I think Popular Sayings would have been a better category name, but since the prevalent wrong response here is also a sentence I'm not sure it was much of a factor.
who ruled against? nobody on the show did this. I did this while watching, and said I would hope for good luck from the judges.
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:10 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 am I got nowhere on this FJ... I certainly should have, but nope... All I had was "Food Pyramid".

I do have a complaint, though... "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is NOT a phrase. It has a subject and verb, making it a sentence.

This would be a good argument to use if you wrote An apple a day..., as a poster noted above and they ruled against. Yes, I think Popular Sayings would have been a better category name, but since the prevalent wrong response here is also a sentence I'm not sure it was much of a factor.
who ruled against? nobody on the show did this. I did this while watching, and said I would hope for good luck from the judges.
This would be a good argument to use if you wrote An apple a day......and they ruled against.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:25 pm

This would be a good argument to use if you wrote An apple a day......and they ruled against.
Who is “they”?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:41 pm

Who is “they”?
See bolded above
davey

Post by davey »

Who is “they”?
Who makes rulings on J!? If is the important word. And a comma after "above" might have helped.
You said you'd need luck, I was suggesting you'd need to make a case.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Foretopman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm I was teached that you had to say "that is they", "I am he"
What were you teached about "that is he" vs "that is him"?
I can't pull up the details from the aging brain, and haven't had luck with the google just now. I had no grammar lessons until transferring to the big school in 7th grade. To this day I don't understand why we learned to diagram sentences - who could that have ever helped?

I "think" we had to use the subject form of a pronoun anytime we used a form of "is". Therefore, "I am he/she", or "I was he/she", "this is he/she".. It was one of those trick/trap questions. I thought it diagramed as a predicate nominative, but am unable to corroborate that so far. I mentally think by this rule, but rarely speak it unless I'm in a pretentious mode.

Anyhow, I wondered if I was mis-educated (even more than I already knew), or is this even too banal for the grammarians?

Mayim popped a "that's they" in the future on Wednesday(no spoiler needed, surely ;))
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:39 pm
Who is “they”?
See bolded above
What judges? Certainly not the ones that matter, that is the ones on the show as they did not have such opportunity to make any ruling on this situation as it did not come up on the game.
davey

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:35 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Who is “they”?
See bolded above
What judges? Certainly not the ones that matter, that is the ones on the show as they did not have such opportunity to make any ruling on this situation as it did not come up on the game.
Exactly. It was hypothetical. Hence the word if.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Lefty wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:45 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:52 pm Vroom is a cool name.
I went to school with a Vroom. He pronounced it like the engine sound but I'm guessing in Dutch it sounds more like a fictional Ethan.
We had a Vroom in our neighborhood when I was a kid. He was a pilot.

I'm not kidding. 8-)

My husband beat me to the punch on FJ, but I like to think I would've come up with it in a few more seconds. :D
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:14 pm
Foretopman wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:10 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm I was teached that you had to say "that is they", "I am he"
What were you teached about "that is he" vs "that is him"?
I "think" we had to use the subject form of a pronoun anytime we used a form of "is". Therefore, "I am he/she", or "I was he/she", "this is he/she".. It was one of those trick/trap questions. I thought it diagramed as a predicate nominative, but am unable to corroborate that so far. I mentally think by this rule, but rarely speak it unless I'm in a pretentious mode.

Anyhow, I wondered if I was mis-educated (even more than I already knew), or is this even too banal for the grammarians?

Mayim popped a "that's they" in the future on Wednesday(no spoiler needed, surely ;))
If your teachers were being consistent (not guaranteed) they would have insisted on "that is he". I believe "predicate nominative" is indeed the correct terminology. However the insistence on using the subject (or nominative) form in that context was one of those rules that was based on "logic" rather than on how people actually talk.