Friday, October 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Friday, October 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Picked Off »

Kangaroo here.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:22 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:56 pm Spoiler related to yesterday’s FJ.
Spoiler
Should Max have been negged for adding “triathalon” to Iron Man? :lol:
Spoiler
I noticed that, too. Given that Max would have been in the audience for Thursday's show, I was surprised that he wasn't uber-careful about the pronunciation. I think Mayim had already accepted "iron man", but it would have been interesting if he had said "iron man triathalon" initially.
In the spoilered example, the contestant gave the additional info after being ruled correct. Either in the 1980s or early 90s, I recall a game where a contestant did something similar. As in the above example, the additional info made the response wrong. But Alex explained later that the contestant would not be penalized. He said it was like the reverse situation where he rules a contestant incorrect and then they give additional info that would have made their response correct. Contestants don't get credited OR penalized for info added after a ruling. I don't know if that's still the case, but once upon a time that's a decision they made.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:42 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:33 pm
For FJ!, I guessed kangaroo, which I think is the animal Mark was alluding to. Right country, but not weird enough, I guess?

I answered the same. I thought it was too soon for duck-billed platypus again. On the other hand, it'd probably be much harder to get a kangaroo to submit to stitching than a platypus.
I started with kangaroo, then wondered about narwhal. Then I keyed in on the category and switched back to kangaroo. (When are they going to start putting the category name above the clue again?) 1799 would've been way too late for an early European narwhal sighting anyway. Once back in the southern hemisphere, I realized duck-billed platypus worked better and I vaguely recalled the anecdote related in the clue. Happened fast enough that I had plenty of time to mentally cross out kangaroo and write the full correct response. I'm glad we got confirmation that "platypus" was sufficient, but in my mind I wrote the whole thing. A quick google suggests there's only one kind of platypus, so no need to BMS but no penalty for BMSing either.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:51 pm there's only one kind of platypus
For now. CRISPR will inevitably bring us the pig-snouted platypus, the dog-muzzled platypus, the mosquito-proboscised platypus, the dolphin-rostrumed platypus, the Durante-schnozzed platypus...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:23 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:51 pm there's only one kind of platypus
For now. CRISPR will inevitably bring us the pig-snouted platypus, the dog-muzzled platypus, the mosquito-proboscised platypus, the dolphin-rostrumed platypus, the Durante-schnozzed platypus...
CRISPR, AI, or nuclear weapons will be the end of human civilization.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:46 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:23 pm
CRISPR, AI, or nuclear weapons will be the end of human civilization.
I'm not changing my bet from capitalism on that one...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The King's Choice (7), The Lego Ninjago Movie (3), Dishonored (6), The Sorcerer and the White Snake (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I always figured it would be a villainous wizard. One disgruntled magic-wielder and *poof* we all turn into newts.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:55 pm I always figured it would be a villainous wizard. One disgruntled magic-wielder and *poof* we all turn into newts.
So ... CRISPR it is.