Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:37 pm I would venture that the contestant coordinators have dealt with players who have tried to exit mid-game and have developed strategies to keep contestants who have lost their enthusiasm up on the stage.
I can’t imagine someone being so far behind they simply attempt to walk off the stage in frustration.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:45 pm All this talk suggesting a player would simply quit is beyond ludicrous.

Let’s see, I’m averaging $200k per taping day. But I feel like giving someone else a chance. Or, I’m averaging $40k per game but it’s just too stressful. It’s not worth it.

If I ever get the Jeopardy opportunity, please let me face an infinite number of contestants with this thought process.
It's in the paperwork that a champion can voluntarily retire, that's all.

Also, how could you possibly face an infinite number of contestants who have a $40k win average factoring into their thought processes?
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm not great at European rivers, although I can place the Danube in Europe, and in Vienna in particular. (Thanks to Mr. Strauss and his waltz.) But I'm much better at locating the Alps. That kind of narrowed things down pretty quickly. Switzerland, Italy, and Austria. Swiss - neutral, not invaded. Italy - sort of friendly with Germany - probably not invaded. Austria - invaded. Didn't know enough to rule the Danube out of two, but knew it was in one. So that was my choice.

Being familiar with The Sound of Music didn't hurt, either.

Now, to study up on European rivers.
--Peter
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I should've mentioned this a while ago, but better late than never. Near the end of season 37, in one of these daily game threads, I doubted the greatness of Matt and posted a stats comparison of him and Jason Zuffranieri. My argument was that he's basically Jason Z., only with better wagering strategy.

I take that back now, mostly. I still think James and Ken are much better players than Matt, but he's certainly more than good enough to place at the platinum level. I don't think every ToC has a platinum-level player (there were none in 2021, 2017, and 2013, for example), but Matt's strong wagering and bouncing skills combined with his enormous mental archive of knowledge makes him an obvious platinum.

I changed my mind about Matt maybe a week or two into season 38, but i forgot to make note of that. So I wanted to do that.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Golf wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:45 pm All this talk suggesting a player would simply quit is beyond ludicrous.

Let’s see, I’m averaging $200k per taping day. But I feel like giving someone else a chance. Or, I’m averaging $40k per game but it’s just too stressful. It’s not worth it.

If I ever get the Jeopardy opportunity, please let me face an infinite number of contestants with this thought process.
There are many reasons why a contestant could find themselves unable or unwilling to continue, including job or family obligations that might prevent them from being available week after week for an extended period of time.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

VoluptuousLoser wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:46 am There are many reasons why a contestant could find themselves unable or unwilling to continue, including job or family obligations that might prevent them from being available week after week for an extended period of time.
Is there a precedent for inviting back a reigning champ who voluntarily but regretfully leaves the show? I'm thinking of a situation where the spouse is in the ICU after a serious car crash, etc. Some event that any reasonable person would make the top priority.

Wasn't there an instance of a champ being invited back some time recently (last 24 months or so)? My brain is really fuzzy on the circumstances.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:40 am Is there a precedent for inviting back a reigning champ who voluntarily but regretfully leaves the show?
Claudia Corriere, for one. You may also count Zach Newkirk.

You may appreciate this champ lineage graph.
VoluptuousLoser
Valued Contributor

Post by VoluptuousLoser »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:34 am
heppm01 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:40 am Is there a precedent for inviting back a reigning champ who voluntarily but regretfully leaves the show?
Claudia Corriere, for one. You may also count Zach Newkirk.

You may appreciate this champ lineage graph.
But who does The Ring magazine say is champion? :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:23 pm
seaborgium" wrote: I was spoiled on Matt losing. Judging by his wager from third place, I think he did well to enter FJ from the lead so many times and mitigate any harm he could have done himself betting.
I was thinking Jonathan would be the one to wager 5000 on FJ. Based on what he did wager, I'm not expecting him to last through the end of this week.
Bumping this thread for today's rerun, and to laugh again at what I'm quoting.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would be crazy to see these three in the TOC final.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:47 pm Would be crazy to see these three in the TOC final.
Come on, you know the powers are going to get burned and the two winners from the SCT will be the oldest white guys.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Was looking closely to see buzz-in attempts. Here is what I concluded, if I’m right.

Matt Amodio: 51
Jonathan Fisher: 40
Jessica Stephens: 40
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:24 am Was looking closely to see buzz-in attempts. Here is what I concluded, if I’m right.

Matt Amodio: 51
Jonathan Fisher: 40
Jessica Stephens: 40
I just watched the Inside Jeopardy podcast, and apparently Jessica Stephens had 35 buzz-in attempts. Looks like I did not do a good job watching buzz-ins thoroughly. :oops:
Douglas Squasoni