Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Nazi Germany annexed this nation & divided it into regions of the Alps & the Danube; the Allies later divided it into 4 sectors

Matt Amodio: 10600-5000=5600
Jessica Stephens: 14400+14399=28799
Jonathan Fisher: 14600+14600=29200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Austria (Matt - Poland)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 1600+1600
Jonathan: 12800-2000
Jonathan: 10800+3000

Coryats
Matt: 10600
Jessica: 14400
Jonathan: 13400

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 9800
Jessica: 2400
Jonathan: 4000
carlosreactsYT
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by carlosreactsYT »

WOAHHHH
HE LOST OMG
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michael Davies in the credits now as expected.

Matt was going to lose at some point, not that I expected it to be today. I had no idea today was the day and I'm grateful no spoilers made it my way so that I could watch without knowing ahead of time.

New week and just not Matt's day. Jonathan was far from perfect, but 2/3 on DDs and solving the FJ! clue allowed him to squeak out the win.

Matt was off and did not seem to like playing from a trailing position as his discipline got shaky. In also missing the FJ! clue (or perhaps Matt thought he had to try somewhere besides the right place to have any chance?) Matt may have lost from the lead as well. With the challengers betting big Matt could have won with a more difficult clue.

When the ToC comes around and everyone is ready to hand Matt the $250K remember this game and how Matt was defeated. If it can happen in regular play then it certainly can happen against 4xers and above.

The FJ! clue had me make a bad switch to Liechtenstein in overthinking/underthinking and not thinking as well as I crossed off the correct response in doubting it was really that easy. Keep it simple; I failed to do that.

Jonathan got Matt's first $1000 clue call and what did he do? $200 clue. :roll: Jonathan missed DD2 when trailing 13600 (J) and 8600 (M). Huge loss? No, just $2000. What's next? Jonathan finds and solves DD3.

Jessica had the lead near the end of DJ! though Jonathan managed to recapture it. The leader solved the FJ! clue and won outright with no monkey business such as 2nd or 3rd place wager prevailing and all clues were played to avoid any controversy about the round ending early.

Great run by Matt as a top tier J! champ.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Got FJ thanks to The Sound of Music.

I was wondering about the occasional banter on Twitter between Matt and Mayim & Ken. This explains that.

Turns out Mayim's tweet about starting in "the middle of Matt's tenure" actually was kind of a spoiler. In fact, it was literally "the middle", since she started on game 19 and he lasted to game 39.

I forgot about Mike. Duh, me.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carlosreactsYT
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by carlosreactsYT »

Can you send me a link to final jeoaprdy please
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Turns out Mayim's tweet about starting in "the middle of Matt's tenure" actually was kind of a spoiler.
But hey, at least the episode wasn't leaked on social media unlike James Holzhauer's 33rd game where he lost to Emma Boettcher.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

That being said, Matt did have an impressive run, even though I wish he would've kept on winning and even break JH's cash record (if not come close). And I'm hoping he wins his ToC.

At least in his 34th game, he set the one-day record for players who are not James Holzhauer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

es ist fertig: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7163

The powers hid the DDs well enough to foil Matt's advantage on clues correct. Matt had control with DDs 2 & 3 still hiding and half the board gone. Take out the $400 clues and the odds were even better he would find one.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Aw, jeez. I clicked the wrong thread heading, and my eyes immediately landed on past tense commentary. My broadcast starts in an hour. :?
Leander

Post by Leander »

Given that FJ had two paths to solution, I’m surprised that Matt, with his strengths in geography and history, missed this one. Not that it would have made a difference.

Edit: just saw Mark’s comment that Matt might have deliberately gone with a low odds answer given the circumstances.

Watching The Third Man helped with this, but I probably would have gotten it off the geography references.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Perhaps the new Executive Producer is a bad luck charm.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:54 pm Jonathan was far from perfect, but 2/3 on DDs and solving the FJ! clue allowed him to squeak out the win.
The DJ! DDs basically didn't matter to Jonathan's score; all that was important was that Matt did not get his hands on the DDs. Jessica played basically as good or better (see Coryats) a game as Jonathan and could have also beat Matt but for the fact that Jonathan was just $200 ahead of her going into FJ!
Golf

Post by Golf »

What an odd twist between the J and DJ round. Matt was doing his thing in the first round. Then in DJ he only rang in 10 times and missed half of those clues. Pretty weird that he would have gotten beaten on the signaling device that badly by two newbies after dominating basically every game.

It's also very strange that both challengers Coryat scores were higher. One player keeping up with him could be understandable, but not both. Something was simply different this game, mostly in DJ. Can't help but wonder if Matt had some sort of episode that hindered him in the second half of the game. If he had only rang in 3-4 times in the round I would have suggested a technical problem, but 10 times is enough to be in line with probabilities.

Just odd, a very strange was for him to lose. And let's not even start on the DJ and FJ wagers. He got his ass handed to him by two newbs that didn't know how to properly play the game.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I knew it wasnt Poland cause it was too Obvious. Sound of Music also lead me to Austria, but i wasnt sure if it was right.

Part of why Matt Lost is that these clues didnt play to his Strengths as Movies and Sports seems to be his Weakness. and now that eh has lost will be interesting to see what teh rating are now post Richards Mess.

We will see Matt in the TOC and likely many Jeopardy Super Tourneys to Come.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

If my reckoning is correct, the previous three weeks were all taped during the week of August 23--Matt didn't seem any worse for the wear after taping 15 games in one week. Apparently, the break was bad for his timing/momentum/mojo/whatever. Props to all three of today's players!

I got today's FJ!--wasn't super confident, but didn't have something better to switch to. As alluded to above, I wouldn't be surprised if Matt was thinking, "Well, Austria is the obvious response, so my only chance to win is if it's something else."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Looks like some posters are about to lose their bets concerning the relative size of this thread. :lol:
They really did keep this quiet. :shock:
In Jonathan's position I would've doubled on the first DJ DD, got it, then bet the minimum on the second to ice the game. :geek: Surprised that Jonathan won with less than optimal play.
Medical terms seemed to be Jessica's pet category, surprised she went top down. :?:
FJ was straightforward as could be. :mrgreen:
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Well, if Matt lost I'm glad it wasn't on some fluke. His two competitors played very well. Imagine outplaying a 38-day champion and still losing.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Pat Tillman comes across many times, but never sticks in my head.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni