Thursday, October 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Thursday, October 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:07 pm Both Maude and All in the Family have basically been forgotten.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

anyone who remembers seeing james cagney as george m. cohan in "yankee doodle dandy," might remember that one of cohan's earliest roles was the title role in "peck's bad boy."
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Since the Jeopardy website specifies 4 days, I think it is safe to say Jonathan is in. As soon as 15 qualify, they will just cut off the field - no need to worry about multiple 5-day champs or better 4-day champs overtaking him.

He is a good, steady champion with two runaways in four games. He has the potential to beat a legendary champ and become a super champ.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 pm I was so hoping that Blossom would show up in the TV Titles category, just to see how Mayim would react if no one got it right! :lol:
It was in fact the J!6 clue for the category, keyed by asking for the sister of Joey Lawrence's character. I've been hoping for Blossom-related clues since Mayim took over as host, no matter how oblique (I could, for example, show off by naming the singer who played Blossom's mother).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

da Doctah wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:34 am
cheezguyty wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 pm I was so hoping that Blossom would show up in the TV Titles category, just to see how Mayim would react if no one got it right! :lol:
It was in fact the J!6 clue for the category, keyed by asking for the sister of Joey Lawrence's character. I've been hoping for Blossom-related clues since Mayim took over as host, no matter how oblique (I could, for example, show off by naming the singer who played Blossom's mother).
One of those Young Sheldon reads the clues categories would be fun too. The closest we've had to a Mayim connection was on September 29 where they gave lyrics from Wind beneath My Wings and wanted the name of the song. The song was sung by Bette Midler and featured in her movie Beaches. Bialik played the young Bette Midler in that movie. But the clue and response went by without comment from the host.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Come on, people. How many Clues did Alex read in 37 Seasons where the answer was Alex Trebek?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm Come on, people. How many Clues did Alex read in 37 Seasons where the answer was Alex Trebek?
That’s a good trivia question. I’m interested in knowing the answer to that. My guess is 7.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Golf

Post by Golf »

floridagator wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:03 pm Come on, people. How many Clues did Alex read in 37 Seasons where the answer was Alex Trebek?
You know, this is a good point. And Alex always said it wasn’t about him, it was about the contestants.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That's not an apt analogy, since Jeopardy pre-Trebek probably never had any clues about him.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

If you mean "correct response", at least three times I can think of:

#4529, aired 2004-04-22 TREBEK, SAJAK OR OZZY OSBOURNE $200: Graduated from college with a degree in philosophy
#3544, aired 2000-01-20 QUIZ SHOW $400: He's the host of the Canadian quiz show "Reach for the Top", seen here, in the late '60s:

And another time, which I believe is not in the Archive, but which there is video of, where the clue was about who hosted the Canadian show Stars on Ice. It was a triple stumper, and afterward, they played a clip of Trebek hosting the show while skating on the ice.

There was also one where the correct response was "Trebekistan", referencing the Bob Harris book.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They could do a board related to her. Possible categories:

Blossom (all about flowers)
Beaches
Sheldon Leonard
Six (things related to that number)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Did not get Martin, though should have thought of it from the Mr. Lawrence part.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm
That’s a good trivia question. I’m interested in knowing the answer to that. My guess is 7.
There was a category devoted to the game shows he hosted.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:00 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:14 pm
There was a category devoted to the game shows he hosted.
Also, I noticed a few years back they seemed to have an unusually large number of questions involving Canada in honor of Alex, and I'm not convinced they've yet burned up all the remaining ones they had stockpiled.