Wednesday, October 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I couldn't tell you a damn thing about Dred Scott other than "some kind of legal case thingy". But that was all I needed.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm DD1 looking for "this type of merchant ship" was a toughie. Mrs P and I both negged with steamship. That didn't sound like a "type of merchant ship" to us but we were stymied.

"The USS Doyle didn't have a mutiny during World War II, but it later played this movie ship that did". That was negbait for Bounty. A moment's thought will make you question whether a WWII ship is a good choice to play an 18th century sailing vessel, but someone's going to ring in before they've thought it through. Jack, in this case. I mentally rang in to say Bounty, but thought it through in time and was able to switch to Caine.

(Somehow neither he nor the others knew the "largest lake in the Western Hemisphere".)
I went with schooner. The speed of the voyage should have tipped me off.

Yup, Pavloved Bounty without thinking about it. I should have had the strawberries.

I momentarily hesitated on Superior only because it was bottom row. "Is there a trick here? Great Slave (didn't think of Great Bear)? Nah, gotta be Superior."
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:07 am
I momentarily hesitated on Superior only because it was bottom row. "Is there a trick here? Great Slave (didn't think of Great Bear)? Nah, gotta be Superior."
I clammed on it, because I couldn't decide if Slave or Bear was bigger. I think the one that is larger has less volume. Now, I'm going to look that up.
When they gave the answer, I felt foolish. It's something I knew back there and it just had left my brain.

EDIT: Great Slave lake is the deepest lake in North American, but is smaller in area and volume to Great Bear Lake.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sherm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:12 am
I clammed on it, because I couldn't decide if Slave or Bear was bigger. I think the one that is larger has less volume. Now, I'm going to look that up.
When they gave the answer, I felt foolish. It's something I knew back there and it just had left my brain.

EDIT: Great Slave lake is the deepest lake in North American, but is smaller in area and volume to Great Bear Lake.
And both Great Slave and Great Bear are nowhere near in area to Superior.
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

Lefty wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:37 pm "Pro" and "neophyte" are not antonyms.
I agree. I did some googling and found articles about neophyte professional nurses and neophyte professional social workers, and was ready to blame the judges. But then I found on thesaurus.com that they listed "professional" as an antonym of "neophyte" (which still makes no sense to me). I wonder what thesaurus the judges use.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ldfghjkl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:18 pm
I agree. I did some googling and found articles about neophyte professional nurses and neophyte professional social workers, and was ready to blame the judges. But then I found on thesaurus.com that they listed "professional" as an antonym of "neophyte" (which still makes no sense to me). I wonder what thesaurus the judges use.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/professional

Synonyms & Antonyms of professional (Entry 2 of 2)
a person with a high level of knowledge or skill in a field

Antonyms & Near Antonyms for professional
apprentice, beginner, neophyte, novice
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:18 pm
https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/professional

Synonyms & Antonyms of professional (Entry 2 of 2)
a person with a high level of knowledge or skill in a field

Antonyms & Near Antonyms for professional
apprentice, beginner, neophyte, novice
There's also the expression old pro. Not such a leap to leave the adjective off....Especially since there's no expression new pro...I took a last-second stab with vet... :oops:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:59 pm
There's also the expression old pro. Not such a leap to leave the adjective off....Especially since there's no expression new pro.
I disagree. It's the inclusion of "old" that gives the connotation of wile and craft.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:09 am

I knew that a while ago, and I know it now, but last night. It was gone. :x
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:12 pm
There's also the expression old pro. Not such a leap to leave the adjective off....Especially since there's no expression new pro.
I disagree. It's the inclusion of "old" that gives the connotation of wile and craft.
Wile?? People are as likely to use pro - as in, She's a pro!" - as old pro, to connote skill.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 pm
Wile?? People are as likely to use pro - as in, She's a pro!" - as old pro, to connote skill.
I got that backwards; "pro" often connotes "old pro", but only "old pro" denotes wile and craft. And I think denotation should strongly be preferred with a definition clue, as otherwise you're serving clam bait (I did, incidentally, guess "pro" playing from the archive, but if I were tracking my Coryats in a disciplined way, I might have laid off).

As for "wile", I dislike word bloat. For instance, "grace" is far more graceful than "gracefulness".
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:01 pm
davey wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 pm
I got that backwards; "pro" often connotes "old pro", but only "old pro" denotes wile and craft. And I think denotation should strongly be preferred with a definition clue, as otherwise you're serving clam bait (I did, incidentally, guess "pro" playing from the archive, but if I were tracking my Coryats in a disciplined way, I might have laid off).

As for "wile", I dislike word bloat. For instance, "grace" is far more graceful than "gracefulness".
Is it common for "old pro" to denote wile or wiliness? Not in my experience.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:09 am

Even if you combine them, they're still only about 2/3 the area. And less than 1/3 the volume. Unless I screwed up my math again. Superior's pretty darn big.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni