Wednesday, October 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:42 pm
I don't like clues about women that are notable because of who they married. Is Cosima Wagner famous for directing Opera Art?
Yes. She ran the Bayreuth Festival for 20 years after Wagner's death.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I have an advantage on any FJ! whose correct response is Anna Karenina. I may not always get it, but it will never be the case that I didn't get it because it didn't occur to me. Ran it through the clue as a possible response, had no reason to rule it out, couldn't think of anything better.

In other news, as of today I am a sexagenarian. I keep wondering if whatever internet surveillance is out there knows that "sexagenarian" is not a dirty word.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Television $1200 & $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:06 pm There are 13 numbered Doctors in all, right? The current is number 13. And the clue said "lead."
13 numbered plus the War Doctor.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 pm I have an advantage on any FJ! whose correct response is Anna Karenina. I may not always get it, but it will never be the case that I didn't get it because it didn't occur to me. Ran it through the clue as a possible response, had no reason to rule it out, couldn't think of anything better.

In other news, as of today I am a sexagenarian. I keep wondering if whatever internet surveillance is out there knows that "sexagenarian" is not a dirty word.
Happy birthday!!!

Never heard of Mrs. Wagner or her kids. Jenny Lind was overvalued in the bottom row.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 pm
davey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:06 pm There are 13 numbered Doctors in all, right? The current is number 13. And the clue said "lead."
Hold on, hold on, I'm gonna need to make all of the popcorn for this one...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 pm I have an advantage on any FJ! whose correct response is Anna Karenina. I may not always get it, but it will never be the case that I didn't get it because it didn't occur to me. Ran it through the clue as a possible response, had no reason to rule it out, couldn't think of anything better.

Happy Name Day! (as it is known in Europe, according to my Polish SIL) . You don't get to run kids off your lawn yet, but you are entitled to tell the hotel clerks that you want your damn discount :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:26 pm

Happy birthday!!!

Never heard of Mrs. Wagner or her kids. Jenny Lind was overvalued in the bottom row.
Thanks. :) (and thanks twelvefootboy)

I got the Wagner response based on the names of the kids being characters from Wagner operas. I had this vague memory that Wagner's wife was the daughter of someone famous--turned out to be Franz Liszt.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 pm
Exactly. I think that's why they used the word "lead." Hurt didn't head a "series."
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 2/4 on big clues. Didn't understand the Wagner clue I think I was distracted by something. I guessed Blanche Dubois for FJ. I noticed the Russian name and considered Laura from Doctor Zhivago but didn't change it. Did not know there had been that many adaptations of Anna Karenina.

Missed Windsor Castle and said Buckingham Palace. Missed Oregon and said Washington. Only got Aduba on the rebound.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Andy Warhol, Andy Serkis, Wisconsin, Jungfrau, iCarly, Godfather of Harlem, and fugu.
econgator wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:39 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:09 pm Missed Andy Murray and said Andy Roddick. Missed "première" and said "first".
Spoiler
Did you at least get the right one Wednesday? :)
I did! I also got the clue about the HQ of Kellogg's in Michigan which I've missed before.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nancy was an inspiration for we aging aspirants, but alas couldn’t quite keep up with the young ‘Zins. Weirdly, looking at at that list of actresses in FJ, I instantly wrote down Anna Karenina. I have no idea why I knew it, but it just seemed right (and was).
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

My initial thought for FJ was Elizabeth Bennett, though it didn’t feel right. A few more seconds of thought and noticing the Russian actress got me to Anna Karenina
Another Rolling Stones triple stumper!
Sorry to see Nancy go
idearat
Valued Contributor

Post by idearat »

John Boy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:36 pm If "Anna Karenina" was not the biggest, baddest, absolutely-no-clue, pull-it-out-of-the-deepest-recesses-of-thin-air Wild-ass guess that I ever made, I don't know what is. But that's what I said.
I got it as well, with the same qualifications you offered. I think Garbo and the Russian-sounding actress did it for me.

I also got the Wagner one which astounded me. The kids' names were my only real clue.
I got the bronze on Jeopardy!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:32 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 pm In other news, as of today I am a sexagenarian. I keep wondering if whatever internet surveillance is out there knows that "sexagenarian" is not a dirty word.
Happy Name Day! (as it is known in Europe, according to my Polish SIL) . You don't get to run kids off your lawn yet, but you are entitled to tell the hotel clerks that you want your damn discount :).
From what my Polish (albeit American-born) mother has told me, although one celebrates a Name Day much as one here would celebrate a birthday, it's celebrated on the feast day of the saint you're named after; e.g., my name day would be December 26, but I was born almost midway between St. Stephen's feast days. There's probably a significant portion of people named for the saints whose feast day they were born on, but "Happy Name Day" isn't quite equivalent to "Happy Birthday."
yclept

Post by yclept »

Nancy was in a tough spot with DD-3. I don’t think any wager is perfect in that spot, but I probably make sure I don’t fall under 50% of the leader’s score there. So I probably do the bear minimum required to take the lead.

I am so used to super champs. Are we now in store for ten consecutive 1-day winners?
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

For FJ, I guessed Cleopatra. I should have known that wasn't correct, given some of the actress names in the clue...and the fact Elizabeth Taylor was left off the list.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:42 pm Goodbye, Nancy, we hardly knew 'ye. Geopolitically, does China have any friends? They keep North Korea as a lapdog just to piss the West off. I think they are investing heavily in Africa and buying influence there, but obviously is not a candidate for a territorial dispute on an Asian river. It's ironic that Dennis Rodman came up to foreshadow the DD answer.
Given Nancy's [cough, apparent] age, I would have thought she would know her Korean War history, in which the Yalu River played a critical role. And yeah, China's Belt and Road initiative is basically trying to buy itself friends all around the world.
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:14 pm In other news, as of today I am a sexagenarian. I keep wondering if whatever internet surveillance is out there knows that "sexagenarian" is not a dirty word.
Happy birthday, young pup!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 pm Exactly. I think that's why they used the word "lead." Hurt didn't head a "series."
Pass me the popcorn, Volante. Paul McGann, the Eighth Doctor, did not lead a series.

This is the text of the clue: "In 1963, British actor William Hartnell became the first lead on this series; there have been 12 playing it since"

It's pretty clear the writers just counted Jodie Whittaker as the thirteenth Doctor and didn't bother to count the War Doctor.

I rate this clue a Voord out of a Zarbi.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

Almost total blank on FJ. I never considered the answers given by the players. Garbo as any character in an Austin novel is funny. Streetcar wasn't written until the late 40's and did not have that many film adaptations. Another Garbo as Blanche?

My poor brain landed on Laura and wouldn't move on even though Julie Christie wasn't listed. I did briefly think of Carmen.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Obviously the ToM to FJ was the unknown whose name appeared to be Russian.

While admittedly a tough situation, Nancy might have made the worst possible wager on DD3. Has to answer 1 of the last two to avoid the lock on a miss and is still less than 1 clue away from losing the lead on a get.