Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by doihavetoreally »

The whole game Sri was so far behind, i was surprised he was in lead.
Given how close the game ended up being, they should have just played the last clue.
Cindy did everything right. Most correct, highest coryat, right wager and still lost. What a bummer!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:09 pm
Seemed standard to me.

Sri corrected Mesmer to mesmerism before Mayim ruled.

-fy & -fy in certify and versify are going to count as a rhyme. It's like J! alliteration with any words beginning with same letter qualify.

I see; I guess I never truly learned the language of the archive.

As for the rhyme clue, my objections were merely æsthetic. If they'd wanted "certify/versify" as the response to a "rhyme time", I'd have led my post with that complaint, and perhaps led a boycott as well.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:09 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:07 pm :D :( :D ::mrgreen: on big clues. Could not pull Plutarch, & would've thought him much earlier.
Petrarch not Plutarch today.
That explains it. Getting old sucks :evil:
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:45 pm Cindy did everything right. Most correct, highest coryat, right wager and still lost. What a bummer!
I felt bad too; impressive FJ pull, proper strategy.. sometimes it's just not your day I guess.

Cindy, I hope you're proud of your performance! You definitely should be.

I matched the 2/3 in FJ having seen the Suriname/Dutch connection plenty of times before.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What, indeed, is "antip-cipation"?

Sign me up for the Cindy fan club
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I sure leapt for the South Africa answer... even felt good about it. Didn't like the corrections because an answer had already been accepted in the wrong form - a reminder with the first miss would have prevented the more expensive one. It's nice to see a couple of games now with three very good competitors.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought the a whip neg was a little harsh.

I got FJ quickly but spent 20 seconds worried it was South Africa.

Interesting two interviews related to visiting Japan. With that and Sri seeming to be an immigrant, it was a fitting category for FJ.

Congratulations to Cindy on making the show and doing well. That one unplayed clue really sucks in games like this.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:31 pm What, indeed, is "antip-cipation"?
It's when you're waiting eagerly for someone to proclaim that you've been emanciptated.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nice game, Cindy! And the best-played game that we’ve seen recently. I would have made a similar FJ wager. There’s nothing to regret in the way you played. I wasn’t surprised that FJ went 2/3, nor that Indonesia was negbait.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Maybe I misunderstood. How is “(to ) whip“ not a verb?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

JyV92 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 pm Maybe I misunderstood. How is “(to ) whip“ not a verb?
He said “What is a whip?”.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:34 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:13 pm
I didn't know you were a sometime boardie, but I was rooting for you because of the way you printed your name. Loved it!
No kidding. I thought it was typed onto the screen at first.
^^ This. (Tried making a pun using 'Courier' for 10 minutes. Failed.)
DBear wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:09 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:07 pm :D :( :D ::mrgreen: on big clues. Could not pull Plutarch, & would've thought him much earlier.
Petrarch not Plutarch today.
That explains it. Getting old sucks :evil:
And Plutarch is much earlier.
JyV92 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:28 pm Maybe I misunderstood. How is “(to ) whip“ not a verb?
"a whip" isn't. Uncharacteristically strict since it could have been "What is, uh, whip?"

(I was, however, expecting the depreciation reversal)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Tony sure seemed like he had the air let out of him when he got that Daily Double wrong. It completely killed his momentum.

I also said Indonesia. If I had another thirty seconds to think about it, I would have remembered the former Dutch Guiana. I think I was partly influenced by that episode of The West Wing in which they were trying to translate between two dialects of Indonesia with an intermediary who worked at the White House who spoke Dutch but didn't speak any English.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 4/4 on big clues. Watching Roger Craig get a daily double about Suriname helped me get FJ right.

Missed 1783 and said 1789. Missed antiquarian and said antiquiter.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Ida B. Wells, Goethe, L'Oreal, antipodes, and camera obscura.

I hate to see the game run out of time and leave 1 question unplayed when the scores are close enough that it could make a difference. I would have liked it if they played the last clue. I was impressed by Cindy's handwriting for her name.

Real close game. Fun to watch.

I also hate it when game shows ask a question and they don't answer it. Like "Monster Mash", why did it chart again in the summer of 1973? I don't know.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

The deal with whip is harsh, but it lends credence to what Matt Amodio was doing. He would have said, "What's whip", which makes it right as either a noun or a verb.

A whip is a thing. That makes it not a verb.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Robert K S wrote: What, indeed, is "antip-cipation"?
It's when you're waiting eagerly for someone to proclaim that you've been emanciptated.
Also known as a Joe Bidenism.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Not overly fond of a clue asking for the opening track of an album released 37 years ago. It's not sour grapes, I got it, (was in high school, one of my favorite albums, etc.) but the clue just seems awfully, well, trivial. Certainly don't know how someone not around my age would get it.

Would love to hear a first hand explanation of the leader's FJ wager.
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

Hey all! It's been a busy night, so I'm only just getting to this now. First off, thanks for all the support! :) I had a lot of fun, but the actual taping went by in such a blur that I didn't feel mentally equipped to fully process it.

Secondly, I did want to share some of my thoughts/insights/memories of the taping. (Some of it may seem familiar from my commentary on Reddit and Twitter, btw.)

The Regular Verbs category being way more brutal than it should have been. It took a bit for my brain to parse some of the answers as verbs (whip, tender), and I'd buzzed in too late by then. I did go "huh" when Tony's answer of "depreciation" was accepted, and was fully ready to buzz in with a rebound.

Once single Jeopardy was over, we had a really long break between single Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy. I didn't have a watch or clock nearby, but it felt like forever. I want to say maybe 20 or even 30 minutes. I remember talking to a fellow contestant from my tape day who also recalled it being quite a long wait. Right after our single Jeopardy round, we were told to turn around with our backs to the board because of a legal ruling. Maybe 2-3 minutes later, Corina and someone from legal came over and explained to Sri and Tony that their answers of "a whip" and "depreciation" were formatted as nouns and not verbs, and couldn't be accepted. They understood, and then we were told that we could face the board again. The actual ruling part was pretty quick -- a few minutes at best.

Once we faced the board, Corina, Sri, Tony, and I chatted enough to talk about dating, weddings, honeymoons, travel, all the cool places we had all been to, etc. It was a lovely convo! But soon it became clear that we weren't at all set up to begin Double Jeopardy, even though we had been on break for a while. I'm not sure what was going on, but it might have been that legal was writing up the script for Mayim to read off of during those 20-30 (???) minutes.

The $1000 clue in Prime Numbers also threw me off in that I zeroed in on the year I associated with the American Revolution and its paperwork (1776), and that brain strain on my face is literally me trying to eke out the nearest prime number to 1776. (Ha! 1777 is prime!) But you know, it would have helped if I had actually not misinterpreted the clue the way that I did.

There were many clues in DJ that I felt less certain about, and I felt like I stayed clam for the majority of it. It did affect my ability to buzz in on time for clues that easily knew though!

I knew FJ instantly and wrote it down as soon as I could. After writing it down, I reread my answer and thought of other alternatives (South Africa fleetingly came to mind, but I've been there before and I literally didn't remember any Dutch being spoken.), but I weirdly remembered previous FJ clues about a guilder being Suriname's currency and Roger Craig's second of his back-to-back TDDs in his ToC. (The mind works in mysterious ways, I guess.) So I just chilled out and stopped overthinking it.

I'm a designer by trade with a background in web and visual design, so I love my fonts. I'm glad y'all enjoyed that little detail. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This is the third time a player named Sri has won on Jeopardy, and the total has been $30,000 all three times.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:52 am This is the third time a player named Sri has won on Jeopardy, and the total has been $30,000 all three times.
If only Cindy had known her history, she would've realized what Sri's wager had to be. :lol: