Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the only U.N. member state outside Europe with Dutch as an official language

Tony Freitas: 7800-7500=300
Cindy Zhang: 16200+400=16600
Sri Kompella: 16400+13600=30000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Suriname (Tony – Indones)

Daily Doubles
Cindy: 3000+3000
Tony: 8200-4000
Sri: 9800+5000

Coryats
Tony: 11800
Cindy: 13600
Sri Kompella: 12200

Combined: 37,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tony: 7000
Cindy: 8200
Sri: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double reversals making Mayim do some housecleaning thanks to the REGULAR VERBS category.

No separate movie & TV categories today although ZOMBIETHON was a hybrid of the two.

The FJ! category had me expecting U.N. official languages. Instead of the main six it went elsewhere and I matched the challengers. Near the end of music and with my pen down I did wonder about slightly about Tony's incomplete miss.

Sri went for pretty 30K on the nose even though Cindy had a possible 32400. Many in Cindy's position have lost the game by going all in. She protected 2nd place and had no way of knowing Sri would bet light.

I'm amazed only one clue went unplayed as clue selection could have been crisper. A contestant who wanted to play with a faster pace might have thrown off any two of the others.
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm Sri went for pretty 30K on the nose even though Cindy had a possible 32400. Many in Cindy's position have lost the game by going all in. She protected 2nd place and had no way of knowing Sri would bet light.

I'm amazed only one clue went unplayed as clue selection could have been crisper. A contestant who wanted to play with a faster pace might have thrown off any two of the others.
Yeah, that was my wagering strategy as I was going into Final. (Hi, this is Cindy! I've been a longtime lurker of the boards since it was hosted on Sony Pictures, but I, for the life of me, could not remember my username for the longest time. It feels surreal being on the other side of things!)

Finishing DJ in second place significantly affected my wager. I actually am pretty confident with anything language related, but I was in a wagering position where I was positive that Sri would bet to cover me. (I was also confident that both Sri and Tony had a strong command of the category and would have no problem betting large.) Under that assumption, I knew that I could win if Sri got FJ incorrect and missed. Therefore, I just needed to cover Sri and force him to wager at least something. Not only that, I was already more than double Tony's score, so I chose a bet that would cover Sri's pre-FJ total and cover Tony's doubled score. I probably should have wagered a wee bit more (but < $599) to cover a "safe" bet on Sri's part, but I saw no reason why he would go safe at all.

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm I'm amazed only one clue went unplayed as clue selection could have been crisper. A contestant who wanted to play with a faster pace might have thrown off any two of the others.
I haven't watched my episode in full yet, so I'm purely going off my memory of the tape day, but yeah, I definitely could have been more efficient with the clue selection. I remember doing my best to stay clam and that can translate to me trying to enunciate everything as much as poss, but Corina did have to remind me in the commercial breaks to just stick with the category name and value.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

When all three players are jumping all over the board and ignoring the top row, it feels like a ToC game. The most exciting game I've seen in a while.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

het is klaar: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7185

Welcome Cindy, and in archiving the game it's easy to see many ways you could have led for the FJ! round and won with a big amount. Tough loss and the break between rounds to figure out the scoring changes is no fun although you found a way to make nice conversation pass the time.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Hey, Mark:

I sent you an email about something. Can you check it?
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

Thanks Mark!

Honestly, the game went by in such a blur (with a looooong Jeopardy! timeout in between single and Double Jeopardy, thanks to the double rulings) that I'm amazed I had the brainpower to calculate a Final Jeopardy wager, let alone answer it. Sri did a great job at taking the lead in DJ!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

cookie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pmSri went for pretty 30K on the nose even though Cindy had a possible 32400. Many in Cindy's position have lost the game by going all in. She protected 2nd place and had no way of knowing Sri would bet light.

Yeah, that was my wagering strategy as I was going into Final. (Hi, this is Cindy! I've been a longtime lurker of the boards since it was hosted on Sony Pictures, but I, for the life of me, could not remember my username for the longest time. It feels surreal being on the other side of things!)

Finishing DJ in second place significantly affected my wager. I actually am pretty confident with anything language related, but I was in a wagering position where I was positive that Sri would bet to cover me. (I was also confident that both Sri and Tony had a strong command of the category and would have no problem betting large.) Under that assumption, I knew that I could win if Sri got FJ incorrect and missed. Therefore, I just needed to cover Sri and force him to wager at least something. Not only that, I was already more than double Tony's score, so I chose a bet that would cover Sri's pre-FJ total and cover Tony's doubled score. I probably should have wagered a wee bit more (but < $599) to cover a "safe" bet on Sri's part, but I saw no reason why he would go safe at all.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pmI'm amazed only one clue went unplayed as clue selection could have been crisper. A contestant who wanted to play with a faster pace might have thrown off any two of the others.
I haven't watched my episode in full yet, so I'm purely going off my memory of the tape day, but yeah, I definitely could have been more efficient with the clue selection. I remember doing my best to stay clam and that can translate to me trying to enunciate everything as much as poss, but Corina did have to remind me in the commercial breaks to just stick with the category name and value.
Thank you for illustrating the reasoning that led to Shore's Conjecture. It's too bad this particular leader chose to make a wager that I find inexplicable -- large enough that he would very likely lose if he did not come up with a correct response, but small enough to have permitted you to overtake him. --Bob
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm not sure why they got so strict on Regular Verbs $1000 and then so lax on Eponymous -Isms $2000. It is true that the latter category went back and forth between asking for the person and asking for the -ism, but it was clear that $2000 wanted -ism. Perhaps it's time the producers sat down and worked out consistent philosophies of both writing and judging.

As for Regular Verbs $200, I'm here to claim it didn't rhyme, if it was meant to. In any case, I said "poeticize" and I'm counting it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:45 pm I'm not sure why they got so strict on Regular Verbs $1000 and then so lax on Eponymous -Isms $2000. It is true that the latter category went back and forth between asking for the person and asking for the -ism, but it was clear that $2000 wanted -ism. Perhaps it's time the producers sat down and worked out consistent philosophies of both writing and judging.

As for Regular Verbs $200, I'm here to claim it didn't rhyme, if it was meant to. In any case, I said "poeticize" and I'm counting it.
Seemed standard to me.

Sri corrected Mesmer to mesmerism before Mayim ruled.

-fy & -fy in certify and versify are going to count as a rhyme. It's like J! alliteration with any words beginning with same letter qualify.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

South Africa an obvious trap here, glad I didn't fall for it.

This was a very well-played game and one of the more interesting wagering situations we've seen lately. Nice comeback by Sri.

Do NOT understand why "a whip" makes it wrong based on the history of ignoring articles.

TIL Mariana and Marianas are both correct.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

cookie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm Sri went for pretty 30K on the nose even though Cindy had a possible 32400. Many in Cindy's position have lost the game by going all in. She protected 2nd place and had no way of knowing Sri would bet light.

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm I'm amazed only one clue went unplayed as clue selection could have been crisper. A contestant who wanted to play with a faster pace might have thrown off any two of the others.
Job well done and welcome to the after.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Face it, I'm never gonna get another FJ! right again am I...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :( :D :mrgreen: on big clues. Could not pull Plutarch, & would've thought him much earlier.
Regular Verbs really was a dog's breakfast of a category. :?
Looks like the one contestant was going for Indonesia. :geek:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:07 pm :D :( :D ::mrgreen: on big clues. Could not pull Plutarch, & would've thought him much earlier.
Regular Verbs really was a dog's breakfast of a category. :?
Looks like the one contestant was going for Indonesia. :geek:
Petrarch not Plutarch today.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cookie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:12 pm Yeah, that was my wagering strategy as I was going into Final. (Hi, this is Cindy! I've been a longtime lurker of the boards since it was hosted on Sony Pictures, but I, for the life of me, could not remember my username for the longest time. It feels surreal being on the other side of things!)
What a heartbreaker! You made a good wager for the most likely path to victory--a miss by the leader--only to find out that Sri had left you an unlikely path if only you had taken it!

I didn't know you were a sometime boardie, but I was rooting for you because of the way you printed your name. Loved it!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cookie wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:17 pm Thanks Mark!

Honestly, the game went by in such a blur (with a looooong Jeopardy! timeout in between single and Double Jeopardy, thanks to the double rulings) that I'm amazed I had the brainpower to calculate a Final Jeopardy wager, let alone answer it. Sri did a great job at taking the lead in DJ!
Goed gedaan ... err, well done, Cindy! I thought at first that they were going to get you for just saying Confucius, but after re-reading the clue they did just ask for "this man".
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:13 pm
I didn't know you were a sometime boardie, but I was rooting for you because of the way you printed your name. Loved it!
No kidding. I thought it was typed onto the screen at first.