Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, November 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Finally welcome, Cindy! It wasn't until the middle of DJ that I realized that it was you. But I was a fan even before then. You know your stuff.

I agree with the other comments; she is an excellent screen-writer.

Dang, you did about as well as possible without bringing home the big prize. Sorry it didn't work out better for you, but luck is a big part of it. You can certainly hold your head up high. It was a well-fought game all around.

I immediately thought of Indonesia and stopped thinking. Big mistake. Remember how on Monday I was complaining about never remembering the title of a certain movie? Suriname is another one of those that I get a mental block on. I know it's there, but I can never pull its name easily. So I'm not sure the rest of the 30 seconds would have been of any help.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I missed this episode and came to the board to play FJ. I will definitely watch it later because it sounds like a real fun match. I only miss a couple of games a month and I've never bothered to watch a missed game (not even Matt Amodio's final game), but I've got to see this fancy calligraphy and potential new regular boardie :).

A quickie question for the judges: For some reason, I always think "Surinam", and might have written that as a response. I assume I heard the name pronounced that way (I guess I'll hear it correctly when I watch the ep). It sounds like the lawyers were busy already, so they probably would just say hell no and go on :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (It was pretty much guess any Prince song for me.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Who knew He Who Must Not Be Named, would be the deciding factor?

Who was able to choose between Kawasaki and Mitsubishi?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:42 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:52 am This is the third time a player named Sri has won on Jeopardy, and the total has been $30,000 all three times.
If only Cindy had known her history, she would've realized what Sri's wager had to be. :lol:
whaT! Seriously???
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

CyrusChan wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:28 pm Who was able to choose between Kawasaki and Mitsubishi?
The clue read, "The Akashi motorcycle plant, not far from the Good Times World Corporate Museum"

In hindsight I recognize that the key was the "Good Times" part (although that wasn't quite enough for me during game play--I would've needed the "roll" part, and maybe also the "let the" part, too).

From my childhood:

From my teenhood:

A little before my time:

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

cookie wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:20 am Hey all! It's been a busy night, so I'm only just getting to this now. First off, thanks for all the support! :) I had a lot of fun, but the actual taping went by in such a blur that I didn't feel mentally equipped to fully process it.

Secondly, I did want to share some of my thoughts/insights/memories of the taping. (Some of it may seem familiar from my commentary on Reddit and Twitter, btw.)

The Regular Verbs category being way more brutal than it should have been. It took a bit for my brain to parse some of the answers as verbs (whip, tender), and I'd buzzed in too late by then. I did go "huh" when Tony's answer of "depreciation" was accepted, and was fully ready to buzz in with a rebound.

Once single Jeopardy was over, we had a really long break between single Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy. I didn't have a watch or clock nearby, but it felt like forever. I want to say maybe 20 or even 30 minutes. I remember talking to a fellow contestant from my tape day who also recalled it being quite a long wait. Right after our single Jeopardy round, we were told to turn around with our backs to the board because of a legal ruling. Maybe 2-3 minutes later, Corina and someone from legal came over and explained to Sri and Tony that their answers of "a whip" and "depreciation" were formatted as nouns and not verbs, and couldn't be accepted. They understood, and then we were told that we could face the board again. The actual ruling part was pretty quick -- a few minutes at best.

Once we faced the board, Corina, Sri, Tony, and I chatted enough to talk about dating, weddings, honeymoons, travel, all the cool places we had all been to, etc. It was a lovely convo! But soon it became clear that we weren't at all set up to begin Double Jeopardy, even though we had been on break for a while. I'm not sure what was going on, but it might have been that legal was writing up the script for Mayim to read off of during those 20-30 (???) minutes.

The $1000 clue in Prime Numbers also threw me off in that I zeroed in on the year I associated with the American Revolution and its paperwork (1776), and that brain strain on my face is literally me trying to eke out the nearest prime number to 1776. (Ha! 1777 is prime!) But you know, it would have helped if I had actually not misinterpreted the clue the way that I did.

There were many clues in DJ that I felt less certain about, and I felt like I stayed clam for the majority of it. It did affect my ability to buzz in on time for clues that easily knew though!

I knew FJ instantly and wrote it down as soon as I could. After writing it down, I reread my answer and thought of other alternatives (South Africa fleetingly came to mind, but I've been there before and I literally didn't remember any Dutch being spoken.), but I weirdly remembered previous FJ clues about a guilder being Suriname's currency and Roger Craig's second of his back-to-back TDDs in his ToC. (The mind works in mysterious ways, I guess.) So I just chilled out and stopped overthinking it.

I'm a designer by trade with a background in web and visual design, so I love my fonts. I'm glad y'all enjoyed that little detail. :)
Cindy, thanks for the background and the description of events -- Jeopardy is fun to watch (especially in an exciting game like yours), but it's even more fun to go behind the scenes with the contestants. You played well and it's unfortunate when good game play and a rational strategy don't pay off. Hope you'll continue to participate in future discussions; it will be interesting to hear your points of view on other games.
Volante wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:39 pm Tried making a pun using 'Courier' for 10 minutes. Failed.
If Cindy had won, Mayim would have had to announce, "Well, there's a new serif in town."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

Thanks y'all! I generally lurk pretty often (I'm usually busy whenever J! airs locally for me, so I'll check the game recaps when I can't watch). It's great to meet and interact with everyone!

Hah, that bit about the Sris past and present is hilarious; I'll have to forward that tidbit to Sri (Kompella). I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it. :)
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:49 pm If Cindy had won, Mayim would have had to announce, "Well, there's a new serif in town."
Okay, now I'm mad. That would have been so good.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:42 pmI also said Indonesia. If I had another thirty seconds to think about it, I would have remembered the former Dutch Guiana. I think I was partly influenced by that episode of The West Wing in which they were trying to translate between two dialects of Indonesia with an intermediary who worked at the White House who spoke Dutch but didn't speak any English.
You can't use that episode of The West Wing as an excuse! The two interpreters spoke Portuguese; no Dutch was involved:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In retrospect, Cindy may be better off losing this game.