LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL Season 91

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:53 am Among Us must be payback for all the questions earlier in the season that only us old farts would know, like Kukla, Fran and Ollie. :)
Well, I'm 40-something and never heard of those puppets! OTOH, my hopelessly screen-addicted nieces introduced me to Among Us
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:41 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:53 am Among Us must be payback for all the questions earlier in the season that only us old farts would know, like Kukla, Fran and Ollie. :)
Well, I'm 40-something and never heard of those puppets! OTOH, my hopelessly screen-addicted nieces introduced me to Among Us
I'd say 40-something is sort of a grey area for knowledge of KF&O. Over 50 and you've pretty much heard of it for sure.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:00 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:41 pm
I'd say 40-something is sort of a grey area for knowledge of KF&O. Over 50 and you've pretty much heard of it for sure.
Just to keep this honest, Fran Allison, who was named in the question, was a real person.

And Burr Tillstrom was the puppeteer operating Kukla and Ollie (l. to r.) OK, I had to look up his name.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

I'm 49, and I'd heard of them enough to get the question correct. However, if asked to draw a picture of them, I would've drawn Shari Lewis and Lambchop.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

6(4)-5(4) over Jared Hall thanks to him giving me 3 for vig. Thorsten may have called it language, but that's sports for me, so assign 3 at your own peril.

I got 0 for "It Girl" so go ahead and take my points away if you decide to change the ruling to incorrect. It won't cost me a win this time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:43 am We finally got the Among Us question I've been expecting for 2 years. Of course I miss it. Turns out I really don't know that much about Among Us except "sus". Blaaargh.
I've vaguely heard of it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:28 pm 6(4)-5(4) over Jared Hall thanks to him giving me 3 for vig. Thorsten may have called it language, but that's sports for me, so assign 3 at your own peril.

I got 0 for "It Girl" so go ahead and take my points away if you decide to change the ruling to incorrect. It won't cost me a win this time.
I somehow heard of 'vig' in association with Cosa Nostra as usurious interest rates (is that redundant?). I thought the gambling term was 'juice', but I've never heard either one in my very limited sports betting exposure. It was another good question with several pathways to have run into the term.

I just found out from twelvefootsis that the clue specified two letters, and took a wild guess as a movie "The Harlot". Eleven seasons in, and I'm still not taking time to READ.EVERY.WORD.

I DID read every word on the crawdad clue:
(Note, correct spelling is required; singular or plural is acceptable.)
So, from crawdad/crawdads and crayfish/crayfish, I decided Thorsten was leading us away from the crawdad answer. He was actually leading us TO the dual choices I guess. I didn't even add to my MCWA because that went to 'crawfish' :( .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Clara Bow was the original "It Girl". Not because she "had 'it'", but because she starred in "It".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I got both "Kukla, Fran & Ollie" and "Among Us." I think I'm in that Generation X sweet spot where I had to hear about all kinds of Baby Boomer diversions growing up, and I'm still (barely) young enough to keep up with what the kids are into these days.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 pm Clara Bow was the original "It Girl". Not because she "had 'it'", but because she starred in "It".
Stephen King really is timeless
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

First demotion in 27 seasons. My QPCT was among my highest, but it was bad defense and just plain being unlucky. Ah well.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Goals for LL Season 91:

have my 2nd .500 season: check!

have my 1st season without having a 0 for any match day: check!

get promoted to C: check!

I finished 4/30, if not for a couple of bad mistakes, I would've had 3rd. At least I didn't ruin my promotion, one I didn't know I would have until a few minutes ago because I was 12th a few days ago.

for LL Season 92, there is only one goal:

Stay in C: check????
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I won yesterday to finish at 11-11-3, my third .500 season in 30 tries. Interestingly, all three were that same record.

Finished 17/30 in D with 70 TCA. I was eight MPD behind the last promotee and eight ahead of the first demotee. So right in the middle.

I went 2-1-1 against the four being promoted (tied the champ) and 2-3 against the ones being relegated and lost to the last place person.

Might have done better if my DE wasn’t .506, which is much better than it was earlier in the season. The person with the most TCA had the worst DE.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

My first season in C went surprisingly well, finishing 5th! I was a little scared late-season when I was in the promotion zone; I had one of the lowest TCAs and I am NOT ready for B. C feels right and I hope next year I can improve my TCA by converting my 22(!!!) MCWs into correct answers.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:37 am My first season in C went surprisingly well, finishing 5th! I was a little scared late-season when I was in the promotion zone; I had one of the lowest TCAs and I am NOT ready for B. C feels right and I hope next year I can improve my TCA by converting my 22(!!!) MCWs into correct answers.
Congrats! I still am figuring out what the MCW is supposed to indicate. I finished with 29 MCW which won the Dawkins award in Taiga, but is tied for about 25th leaguewide. I never even noticed this stat before, but it's nice to be good (bad?) at something :lol:.
I'm returning home to D with a very mediocre 68 TCA season that started out looking to crack 75 through MD15. I was able to hide in C for one season, but it looks like you need 80 TCA just to survive.

I pity the players in B Magnolia in LL92 :).

Bizarro update in a couple of days when I get screen time. It was pretty difficult to get long streaks this time. Thanks to everyone who played at it so I could grind at the results looking for patterns and trends. This game of skill and knowledge has a pretty strong element of luck and randomness. This is a call for any new/returning players for LL92 and any faux game concepts 8-) .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Call me Even Steven. Ended up 9-9-7 and 12th in my rundle. It should have been a good season because I ended up above both my historical QPct and DE, but luck wasn't on my side.

I just looked at my personal records and I didn't set any in this season. I'm now up to 800 match games played without a forfeit, which is pretty cool. Still have never had either a Buckner win or loss.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 am
kerryoakie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:37 am My first season in C went surprisingly well, finishing 5th! I was a little scared late-season when I was in the promotion zone; I had one of the lowest TCAs and I am NOT ready for B. C feels right and I hope next year I can improve my TCA by converting my 22(!!!) MCWs into correct answers.
Congrats! I still am figuring out what the MCW is supposed to indicate. I finished with 29 MCW which won the Dawkins award in Taiga, but is tied for about 25th leaguewide. I never even noticed this stat before, but it's nice to be good (bad?) at something :lol:.
I like to think that MCW signifies that I'm on the right track, but maybe picked the wrong one of a few choices. Maybe a few extra minutes of thinking or parsing clues would've sent me in the right direction. Also, we're in a big league with a lot of smart people and it feels nice that a bunch of other smart people thought of the same answer as me. Misery loves company!
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:58 am First demotion in 27 seasons. My QPCT was among my highest, but it was bad defense and just plain being unlucky. Ah well.
You were also a victim of superior point assignments from your opponents. We had similar performances with same total correct answers, but I got far more 3 points than you did. I am sure we will be seeing you back in A Magnolia in LL 93.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:58 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:58 am First demotion in 27 seasons. My QPCT was among my highest, but it was bad defense and just plain being unlucky. Ah well.
You were also a victim of superior point assignments from your opponents. We had similar performances with same total correct answers, but I got far more 3 points than you did. I am sure we will be seeing you back in A Magnolia in LL 93.
Interesting point. Same TCA, but you had 174 TMP against my 155. Not a statistic I usually look at, but your OE was .479, which led the rundle. Mine was .219, which was next to the bottom. And my NUfP was a whopping -10. Swapping two defensive assignments yesterday would have kept me from relegation.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished 10-10-5 in Foundry Div I E, in 18th place out of 36 players. My correct answer percentage was slightly lower than my historical norm. This season, I was the benefactor of 3 forfeit wins...after not having any in the last three seasons.

These expanded rundles are frustrating, as there tend to be a lot of players who either never participate or simply give up toward the end of the season.

I will stay in E rundle next season.