LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: LL Season 91

Post by Volante »

I was so proud of myself for remembering the forest (Wald), I didn't bother thinking about the tree.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:20 am I was so proud of myself for remembering the forest (Wald), I didn't bother thinking about the tree.
I did the same, but I had no idea 'baum' meant 'tree'.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:20 am I was so proud of myself for remembering the forest (Wald), I didn't bother thinking about the tree.
Same here. The "O Tannenbaum" connection to this time of year clicked as soon as I saw the correct answer.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Yesterday put the final nail in the coffin for my promotion hopes. I still could have managed a tie had I said Baum instead of Tannenbaum. (Surprised that wasn't the MCWA; 13% said "tree"?)

The 0 was an easy choice as my opponent was a Texan with a high sports score.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm The 0 was an easy choice as my opponent was a Texan with a high sports score.
Yeah. I LOLed when I saw that listed as 'Geography'. 90%+ a sports question.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm Yesterday put the final nail in the coffin for my promotion hopes. I still could have managed a tie had I said Baum instead of Tannenbaum. (Surprised that wasn't the MCWA; 13% said "tree"?)
I said Tannenbaum, having assumed all my life that Tannen meant "ever" and Baum meant "green". Don't assume, I guess.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm 13% said "tree"?
:o :x :roll:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Bizarro second round update

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:35 am MD21 was the only 12 pack of threes by the whole rundle. The rundle had no sweeps or skunks, but had some nice rescues to prevent skunks. Louise Erdrich was saved by teapot37 with a singleton. We had doubletons on Marcus Garvey and Lake Malawi (mahatma and teapot37), and ear (morbeedo and teapot37). (notice the theme on the rescue clues ;))
Whaaaaaat?? I feel so dense when I read these recaps
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:06 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:06 pm 13% said "tree"?
:o :x :roll:
I guessed tree. I figured the chance of it being a cognate was higher than the chance of getting it right by typing in random German-looking letters.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:37 am How to turn a win into a tie? I had tannenbaum instead of baum in wasting a chance to score 3 more points. :oops:
Same response here, even though I figured including Arabic was intended to disqualify the Christmas half. Unfortunately, I did not know which half that was, despite having had a conversation about that very word last week :?

Also had "mogul" on my brain but my fingers typed "slalom." The usual end-of-season ennui, perhaps
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:21 am I have several of the very top players on my Player Tracker page and it looks like RautY forfeited for the first time in his LL career.

Hopefully everything is ok!
I have received word everything is ok.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:08 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:35 am MD21 was the only 12 pack of threes by the whole rundle. The rundle had no sweeps or skunks, but had some nice rescues to prevent skunks. Louise Erdrich was saved by teapot37 with a singleton. We had doubletons on Marcus Garvey and Lake Malawi (mahatma and teapot37), and ear (morbeedo and teapot37). (notice the theme on the rescue clues ;))
Yeah, I try to be concise and it backfires into opaqueness and more words to explain :( .

So far, our rundle hasn't had an 0 for 12 question. Eleven of us missed Erdrich, but teapot37 saved the day. Ten of us missed the Marcus Garvey, Lake Malawi, and ear questions. Kudos to the players that were able to get them and spare us the shutout. Bully for you for getting "ear", which came in at 30%.
It would help if I recapped more often, at the risk of being blocked/banned :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:56 pm
Yeah, I try to be concise and it backfires into opaqueness and more words to explain :( .

So far, our rundle hasn't had an 0 for 12 question. Eleven of us missed Erdrich, but teapot37 saved the day. Ten of us missed the Marcus Garvey, Lake Malawi, and ear questions. Kudos to the players that were able to get them and spare us the shutout. Bully for you for getting "ear", which came in at 30%.
It would help if I recapped more often, at the risk of being blocked/banned :lol:.
Read more Cracked!
https://www.cracked.com/image-pictofact ... s-declared
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Read more Cracked!
https://www.cracked.com/image-pictofact ... s-declared
I haven't seen Cracked! since the pandemic when I quit going to the office and goofing off at work. I will re-subscribe with my forever email address! It got bad for a while when they made a lot of staff cuts, but I think it rebounded. Headlines are still clickbait I'm sure, but if you read it with a filter, it can be pretty good.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

We finally got the Among Us question I've been expecting for 2 years. Of course I miss it. Turns out I really don't know that much about Among Us except "sus". Blaaargh.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Louise Erdrich came up a couple of times in OQL recently: once in a pop solos friendly, and another time in the team version. Plus Entertainment Weekly tells me she just came out with a new book.
From reading for the OQL "high culture" league, they had a set of questions in the last couple of weeks about strange provocations for war (the Football War, the Toyota War, the War of the Stray Dog, and the War of Jenkins' Ear).
Knew Marcus Garvey = "back to Africa" cold.
The only two lakes named after African countries I could name were Lake Malawi and Lake Chad, and for sure Lake Chad is not 20% of the size of Chad (otherwise it'd be the largest lake in Africa), but that made way more sense for Malawi.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:43 am We finally got the Among Us question I've been expecting for 2 years. Of course I miss it. Turns out I really don't know that much about Among Us except "sus". Blaaargh.
Oh noooo. It came up on The Chase recently
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Thank you! I’m not as dumb as I look, I promise :P
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I finally converted I think my first food/drink Q in two seasons.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Among Us must be payback for all the questions earlier in the season that only us old farts would know, like Kukla, Fran and Ollie. :)