LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: LL Season 91

Post by alietr »

Vermonter wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:41 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pmHow did I miss Glasgow and Mt. Fuji (went with Iwo Jima on the photography association hint)??
I was stuck between Rainier and Fuji for a bit, then the second photography hint finally clicked (originally thought it had something to do with Hokusai)
You learn something every day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade_Volcanoes
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:30 am The first round results for Bizarro standings - Slate will wipe clean for second round now that we all have the hang of it.
I can't win – I put the 3 on olive branch, but my bizarro opponent was among the 6% who missed that question!
Hangs head in shame. I was the only one in my general rundle to miss that one. And I knew it was an olive branch but my fingers typed something else.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:00 pmYou learn something every day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade_Volcanoes
I'd never heard of >50% of those!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:00 pmYou learn something every day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade_Volcanoes
I'd never heard of >50% of those!
I've heard of exactly 25% of them.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Midseason Classic is up.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

7th non rookie season and it looks like it will easily be my seventh season without being promoted or demoted.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

9/12 right on the midseason classic. Missed a money question with Joe Pesci (correct answer was Spike Lee). Also missed ice hockey and countries that moved their capital city.

ETA - Whitney museum was the second hardest question!? I’m probably biased from living in NYC
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I moneyed perfectly, based on my less-than-perfect 9/12 answers. I tried to let the Adlai Stevenson percolate for a day or two...knew it was in there somewhere, but...no.

Also, I don't see MCWA for these (am I not looking in the right place?), but I think curling was a pretty decent guess for ringette. I was thinking some sort of game on ice, with rings, where you try to get close to a target, but...no.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I only knew 5 of them, so that made moneying really easy.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Dang, I could've lead my rundle if I moneyed properly. Instead I didn't even contribute to the team score...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I missed Lee, Tagine and Big Bang Theory.

I'm not surprised that the Whitney played tough. I was not at all sure myself; I knew it was the "Whitney Museum of American Art" but that caused me to wonder why their exhibition of American art would be biennial. Luckily, there was nothing there to make any of the many other NYC museums stand out.
I'm smart and I want respect.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

It was a good set of questions for me and I only missed tagine and Whitney.

I don't think I've ever heard of the Whitney Museum before.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:27 pm Dang, I could've lead my rundle if I moneyed properly. Instead I didn't even contribute to the team score...
Same here. I got 11 right (missed Whitney with the Brooklyn Museum), but scored 395 against a 485 possible with proper moneying. I see people who outscored me with only 8 right.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:53 am
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:27 pm Dang, I could've lead my rundle if I moneyed properly. Instead I didn't even contribute to the team score...
Same here. I got 11 right (missed Whitney with the Brooklyn Museum), but scored 395 against a 485 possible with proper moneying. I see people who outscored me with only 8 right.
It never occured to me that "Seventeen Syllables" = haiku = Japan would be money-worthy. I suspect a lot of people thought the same.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am
It never occured to me that "Seventeen Syllables" = haiku = Japan would be money-worthy. I suspect a lot of people thought the same.
I got that one right, but for a flawed reason. I was thinking of the kana writing systems being based on syllables and thought maybe one of them had a total of 17 symbols. The one I was surprised played difficult was Spike Lee. I assume when I know a movie question it must be pretty easy!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am
I got that one right, but for a flawed reason. I was thinking of the kana writing systems being based on syllables and thought maybe one of them had a total of 17 symbols. The one I was surprised played difficult was Spike Lee. I assume when I know a movie question it must be pretty easy!
I got 9/12 right after talking myself out of ice hockey and totally overlooking the 17 syllables --> haiku linkage (polysyllabic put me in mind of Thai names -- oops!) which with perfect moneying was good enough for 6th place in A Cont. Gratz to bomtr and Reddpen for going 1-2 in my Rundle.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Well when I checked last night I got credit for "nicoise" but it looks like that was reversed.

Makes sense as city was italicized. I admit I didn't make the Nice connection and figured Nicoise must be a city lol
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 pm Well when I checked last night I got credit for "nicoise" but it looks like that was reversed.
Good!

(not that you got it reversed, but that it was reversed)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:11 pm Well when I checked last night I got credit for "nicoise" but it looks like that was reversed.

Makes sense as city was italicized. I admit I didn't make the Nice connection and figured Nicoise must be a city lol
This was one of my luckiest WAG's ever. I thought maybe it needed to be near the Mediterranean and picked Nice because I drove there on my first visit to France to visit the beach and was disappointed at the lack of sand. The beach is composed of "shingles", which are rounded disk like rocks about 2-3" diameter if I recall. I expected about a 15% get rate, and it was 67%.

I'm in 19th of 20 (bottom 4 flunk out) and the match point gap is huge to get out of the relegation zone, so back to D for me, eventually. I'm last in DE at 0.539, and have had an easy schedule. Somehow I'm first in MCW in all of Taiga with 21 (out of 57 misses). The next player in C at 14 MCW, and there is a D player with 20. I'm not sure what this participation trophy represents, but I'll try to keep up the bad work :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 pm

This was one of my luckiest WAG's ever. I thought maybe it needed to be near the Mediterranean and picked Nice because I drove there on my first visit to France to visit the beach and was disappointed at the lack of sand. The beach is composed of "shingles", which are rounded disk like rocks about 2-3" diameter if I recall.
I was just there in October and you are correct. Very rocky, but at least the rocks are big and smooth enough to not hurt when you walk on them. Cool city, though.