LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: LL Season 91

Post by triviawayne »

I'm hitting way above average so far this season...I guess I should get ready to crash soon.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

And yesterday I answered "Las Melinas" instead of "Las Meninas" :x :x

The frustrating season continues lol
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

bluejaylink wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:18 am And yesterday I answered "Las Melinas" instead of "Las Meninas" :x :x

Ouch! It hurts when you are that close and just can't quite parse the consonants. I NHO the work and I couldn't forge a guess from my small Spanish vocabulary, so (based on the elaborate description of the subject and entourage) I just went with "Wastin' away again in Margaritaville" :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:30 am
bluejaylink wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:18 am And yesterday I answered "Las Melinas" instead of "Las Meninas" :x :x

Ouch! It hurts when you are that close and just can't quite parse the consonants. I NHO the work and I couldn't forge a guess from my small Spanish vocabulary, so (based on the elaborate description of the subject and entourage) I just went with "Wastin' away again in Margaritaville" :lol: .
I could see the painting in my head, but didn't remember what it was called.

Not like it matters...this is only the 2nd time ever that I haven't had a win in the first 5 days (0-4-1). I have 18 TCA, but I've lost to two 7(5)'s and two 9(6)'s and the tie was a 7(5)-7(5). And it's not like the rundle is playing at an A-level: most of the others are getting 3 or 4 correct. I just happen to be playing the ones getting 5 or 6 every day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:36 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:30 am

I could see the painting in my head, but didn't remember what it was called.

Not like it matters...this is only the 2nd time ever that I haven't had a win in the first 5 days (0-4-1). I have 18 TCA, but I've lost to two 7(5)'s and two 9(6)'s and the tie was a 7(5)-7(5). And it's not like the rundle is playing at an A-level: most of the others are getting 3 or 4 correct. I just happen to be playing the ones getting 5 or 6 every day.
I have 17 TCA and am just 1-3-1 in my D rundle. That puts me 23/30 in the standings. Doesn’t help my defense is .250 and I switched to elk and Ukraine instead of my first (correct) thoughts.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Because nobody asked :lol: :

The JBL Bizarro match is shaping up and the defending champ KerryOakie is reeling. There's plenty of time for a comeback, but it's tougher now that SBurrus and ClassicRoadster are not sandbagging.
For now, NoWhammies10 is pitching a perfect game: 5 threes, a 5 game streak (duh), and 5 wasted zeroes (the tiebreaker). He's not just getting groundouts either, his DE of 0.077 is swinging strikes on 0-2 counts. On the flip side, morbeedo is on track to win the regular DE, AND the three point contest.

We've had two 8/8 days from the boardies, but no 12/12 overall.
Friday was brutal with 6 failed 3's (equal to the previous four days total). Down by the Riverside was a vicious trap and just shows the beauty of Thorsten's clues. It is a "How do you miss that" for half of us, and "what the hell" for the other half. Just like the Disco dancing clue was, from the other side for me :roll:.

It's a four way tie for total 3's, and a three way tie for 5th but morbeedo has the hammer with a 4 game streak that he can add to and the other two have to start over on the streak. One miss from the leaders and morbeedo can vault to the top in a couple of days. This format seems to give us some nice volatility, without much work to play the game.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:59 am I have 17 TCA and am just 1-3-1 in my D rundle. That puts me 23/30 in the standings. Doesn’t help my defense is .250 and I switched to elk and Ukraine instead of my first (correct) thoughts.
Mine ranking is 29/30. I have a .667 defense, but I am tied for the lead in all of Foundry with 27 CAA. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Odd 7(4)-7(4) tie for me yesterday. My opponent assigned me zero for "Down by the Riverside" and I missed it. Meanwhile, I assigned zero to schnauzer and my opponent missed that one! I've got to say that "Down by the Riverside" was completely unfamiliar to me.

I've definitely seen Las Meninas, but never knew its name and I don't know enough Spanish to have had any real chance of guessing it correctly. My opponent got that one, but missed Russia.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Having a great season (for me) so far. Currently 3-1-1, but mad at myself because I could be 4-0-1.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:16 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:01 pm I can't do hexidecimal, but I figured it was either 42 or 56, with the former being more likely. I wonder if anyone put Mariano Rivera in a moment of blindness.
It's easy. Like 42 in decimal means 4 10s and 2 1s, 2A in hex means 2 16s and A 1s. The ones places go 123456789ABCDEF. Since A comes right after 9, it means 10 in decimal. 2A is therefore 2X16+10=42.
Thanks for the explanation. That is a lot easier than I thought.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Picked Off is probably ticked off today after a 4(2)-4(4) draw with me. I totally biffed on the Spanish-American war, thinking instead of the S and Central American border wars.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:16 pm Odd 7(4)-7(4) tie for me yesterday. My opponent assigned me zero for "Down by the Riverside" and I missed it. Meanwhile, I assigned zero to schnauzer and my opponent missed that one! I've got to say that "Down by the Riverside" was completely unfamiliar to me.
Although this McDonald's campaign was a bit before my time, parody versions persisted in the schoolyard a few years longer. They served as my intro to the tune, but I still missed with "In the Sweet by-and-by". I just squeaked out a match win, surprised and grateful to be threed on Havana, even though American History, World History, and Geography are my best, second best, and fourth best categories.

I might perhaps have got Jackie Robinson had I buckled down (I did once get a "hexadecimal" question in the past) but I decided to trust intuition which led me to Roger Maris. I do think that "association" is more interesting than a uniform number.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

No points for ‘down by the river’ but at least I’m not totally at sea when it comes to African American spirituals.

I read twelvefootboy’s bizarro recap 3 times and I’m sorry, but I have no idea what game we’re playing :lol: :shock:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:14 pm I might perhaps have got Jackie Robinson had I buckled down (I did once get a "hexadecimal" question in the past) but I decided to trust intuition which led me to Roger Maris. I do think that "association" is more interesting than a uniform number.
Roger Maris's number in hex is easy; it's 9. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:22 pm No points for ‘down by the river’
Great song by Neil Young and Crazy Horse, though!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:05 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:22 pm No points for ‘down by the river’
Great song by Neil Young and Crazy Horse, though!
Or Chris Farley in a van.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

He seems to have dropped off here, but DHKendall must have been thrilled to get two points on the flag question. Clearly his opponent doesn’t know him.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:22 pm No points for ‘down by the river’ but at least I’m not totally at sea when it comes to African American spirituals.
It hadn't occurred to me that songs of this ilk aren't ubiquitous in everybody's ecosystem. I almost always resort to singing (out loud or mentally) a lot of similar ones that may come up sometime. Watch for:
Spoiler
Swing low, sweet chariot
Them Old Cotton Fields back home (not sure of title)
John Henry (mandatory when driving steel fence posts (tee posts))
Midnight Special
I've been working on the railroad
Summertime
Sixteen Tons
plus many more - not spirituals, but definitely Americana folk music, even if Midnight Special is relatively new
morbeedo wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:22 pm
I read twelvefootboy’s bizarro recap 3 times and I’m sorry, but I have no idea what game we’re playing :lol: :shock:
I will try to type slowly so our A and B level players can understand :evil:

Step 1: Decide which question is a slam dunk for your Jboardlite opponent. It can be the zero from your regular game, but you may want to smell test it against the player's grade card.

Step B: Give the three to your opponent to the answer above.

Step gamma: Done. The goal was for easy and stress free, with a level playing field for all comers.

For fun or enrichment, you can try to "waste" the zero, which sets up the tiebreaker. Same with going for the lowest DE. Just don't mix up which game you are playing with your regular opponent- these marks don't go on your permanent record :lol:.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Absolutely insane that I'm leading both the Bizarro and my regular (C Midland Div 2) rundle. 5-0-0 going into Monday's game, which means I'm probably on course to lose the next 7.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

@twelvefootboy — I get the bizarro rules now, ty! I think I had just missed the part about the wasted zeroes. Carry on!

ETA — I was doubly successful in the last match #bizarro