Monday, November 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, November 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:20 am
davey wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 pm The best interviews we've seen on the show in a while. Coincidence? Maybe not...
Huh. I’ll have to go back and listen to the feudal lord bit- it seemed to go on and on and on and on and on and on. The fake studio audience laughter stills feels so weird. Let us hear the deafening silence of the empty studio.

ETA - Ken failed to elicit the Streetcar scream and our lives are all poorer for that
But he did coax her into a pretty awesome KHAAAAAAANNNNN!! I feel that enriched our previously impoverished lives by quite a bit.

Dane was a likeable contestant and an impressive player, but the two women just... sparkled. I loved them both and was really hoping to see one of them again. Oh well. We'll always have Khan. And I look forward to seeing what Dane can do today.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:53 am
I think it's possible that a nervous player could get tangled in the clue's verbiage and write down Hughes or even Langston Hughes instead - or rather I know it's possible because I nearly did the former...! :oops:
Omigosh! That never even occurred to me in the moment. But I could totally see the wrong synapse firing on a different night and me going down that path too. Glad you got off the train in time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've got to say that I think Ken blew Mayim out of the water as far as hosting. The difference was quite stark. I wish they had given him the hosting job outright.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:51 am I've got to say that I think Ken blew Mayim out of the water as far as hosting. The difference was quite stark. I wish they had given him the hosting job outright.
Agreed, and I'm a big Mayim fan, not at all a detractor. But Ken's hosting is like his playing. He takes things to a different level. I really wish he had thought better of those tweets back in the day. I'm sure he does too.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Watson may have defeated Ken but Ken is the only host to show a Watson like instant command over everything that is going on in the game
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm
I have walked across the bridge to Cincinnati. Staying at a hotel in Kentucky on the river saved parking fees at a Reds game.
I did the walk across the Roebling and then went back across to Newport on the Levee over the Purple People Bridge. Cincinnati is actually a really nice city to vacation in. Like you, I went to a ball game and I also happened to be there the first night of Bengals practice and they opened up Paul Brown for the public to come in, sit wherever they wanted to and watch.
Another way to know Covington is close to Cincinnati is that the airport of Cincinnati's metro area is in Covington (CVG).

In 2015, I went to a work conference in Saratoga Springs, NY. I decided to drive, which made it convenient to take in an Indians game on the way out there and a Reds game on the way back (and visit Cooperstown and the Glimmerglass opera festival while in that part of NY). I stayed in Newport KY and walked across. The Reds were playing the Cubs and Kyle Schwarber was a hot, young prospect at the time. He played catcher and batted second.

Editing to add: I love having Ken back on my TV screen. I thought it was interesting that he's "hosting" J! but not a "host of" J!.
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:46 pm Did not get rice cooker and would have said dishwasher. It was obvious after the right answer was revealed.
Rice cooker never entered my mind. Trying to think of a kitchen appliance that had an automatic shutoff led me to electric can opener, thinking that maybe on/off was manually controlled on early versions.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm I have walked across the bridge to Cincinnati. Staying at a hotel in Kentucky on the river saved parking fees at a Reds game.
Town to town, up and down the dial.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mahatma wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:20 am
bengland wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:57 pm Why is the upper deck of the Covington/Cincinnati bridge southbound?
The upper deck is both northbound and southbound.

The lower deck runs roughly NE-SW.
Are you referring to the Brent Spence Bridge instead of the Roebling Bridge? I'm confused.
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:17 pm
mahatma wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:20 am
bengland wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:57 pm Why is the upper deck of the Covington/Cincinnati bridge southbound?
The upper deck is both northbound and southbound.

The lower deck runs roughly NE-SW.
Are you referring to the Brent Spence Bridge instead of the Roebling Bridge? I'm confused.
I wasn't. The lower deck of the Suspension Bridge is also known as the Ohio River.

ETA: Everyone knows the Brent Spence Bridge doesn't 'run' at all.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:51 am I've got to say that I think Ken blew Mayim out of the water as far as hosting. The difference was quite stark. I wish they had given him the hosting job outright.
Things like this are matters of opinion, but I think he is noticealby better. Not that Bialik isn't good.

Both are good. IMO, Jennings is just better at it.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Ken is a good host. Knew the game dynamics. Quick on his feet. Let Salt Lake City go by without pointing out the obvious in a nice IFKYK moment.

Got the FJ solve without a secondary guess. Hadn't known the original Langston but it sure sounds like a last name.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:47 pm Ken is a good host. Knew the game dynamics. Quick on his feet.
That reminds me, I liked how Ken pointed out that Kate could have had the lead with a bigger DD wager; it was a chide with a light touch on the level of Alex that, aside from "you knew that" remarks after a TS, I don't think any other host has done.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Other well-known writers who were the grandnephew or grandniece of a U.S. congressman:
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:41 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:34 pm 59 R (Missed Getting Into the Spirits $1000.)
Not many categories I'll precall myself going 5/5 in but boozy ones are one of them...and that flummoxed me too.

At the risk of ruining everyone's chance at an 8/8, poll request for Carolans? I had to look it up and it still didn't have the faintest whiff of familiarity.
I thought Carolans was very obscure. I'm Irish and am pretty familiar with most Irish alcohol brands. I have heard of it as a Bailey's knock-off but only in the sense that if I saw the bottle I would know what kind of drink it is. I can't remember even seeing it in an Ontario liquor store and if I'd had to guess would have said it hadn't crossed the Atlantic.
ldfghjkl
Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:22 pm
lstone19 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:21 pm You don’t really need to know who John Mercer Langston is, just a famous black poet with a first name that could be a last name. Know of any with the first name Langston?
"Langston" could be a first, middle, last, or nickname for all I know. I'm super super vaguely aware that there is someone named Langston Hughes, but couldn't tell you thing freaking one about him. SO many freaking hoops to jump through it's insane.
I think there's only one hoop here. Langston Hughes has shown up nearly fifty times, by the lights of j-archive.com, so he (together with "What happens to a dream deferred?" and the Harlem Renaissance) is definitely worth knowing for Jeopardy.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:00 pm In 2015, I went to a work conference in Saratoga Springs, NY. I decided to drive, which made it convenient to take in an Indians game on the way out there and a Reds game on the way back (and visit Cooperstown and the Glimmerglass opera festival while in that part of NY).
Speaking of which, don't you think that with the right librettist and composer, The Natural would make an awesome opera?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:14 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:46 pm Did not get rice cooker and would have said dishwasher. It was obvious after the right answer was revealed.
Rice cooker never entered my mind. Trying to think of a kitchen appliance that had an automatic shutoff led me to electric can opener, thinking that maybe on/off was manually controlled on early versions.
I went with garbage disposal. Seemed like something big and scary that you would want to turn itself off in the event that you were too chicken to go near enough the sink to flip the switch back down. Good job on Kate's part making the right guess under pressure.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sherm wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:15 pm
Things like this are matters of opinion, but I think he is noticealby better. Not that Bialik isn't good.

Both are good. IMO, Jennings is just better at it.
Yeah, I just think Ken is quicker with the witty and/or relevant remarks during game play and engages better with the contestants.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

I wasn’t a fan of Mayim’s guest host gig; the Mad Chuckler drove me up the wall, but she’s toned that way way back in her regular hosting, and I’ve had no issues with her run so far. Then Ken shows up “hosting” and IMO proceeds to blow Mayim out of the water in every way. Maybe TPTB will look at this week’s shows and realize they made a mistake…

Oh, anybody else think Elena bore a strong resemblance to ‘70s Linda Ronstadt?