Tuesday, November 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1976 "Bohemian Rhapsody" was replaced at No. 1 on the U.K. charts by this Europop song whose title is heard in Queen’s lyrics

Dane Reighard: 16600-9801=6799 (2x = $34,799)
Greg Zona: 4800-0=4800
Hillary Sebeny: 16800-16601=199

Correct response:
Spoiler
"Mamma Mia" (Dane – Waterloo) (Greg - ???) (Hillary – Carry On)

Daily Doubles
Hillary: 1800-1200
Dane: 9200+3000
Hillary: 12800+4000

Coryats
Dane: 14800
Greg: 4800
Hillary: 15200

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dane: 5600
Greg: 1200
Hillary: 5600
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a win for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Have I gone around the bend or did the show add a croak sound after the Disney princess clue?

Another Sports J! reminder with today's regular clue bringing back memories of the FJ! clue from this game: viewtopic.php?p=162635#p162635

No surprise, though still irking, that the Athens hosting year to begin the Modern Olympics was a TS clue.

The FJ! category had me recalling the "Roxanne" clue in having little doubt I would know whatever song(s) come up while realizing a miss is always possible.

My precall list was: Bee Gees, "American Pie", "YMCA", Grease and "Kung Fu Fighting"

The FJ! clue had me only get close like Dane as I had "Dancing Queen" even though I could not place the title in the Queen song. It was very hard to race through the Queen lyrics while under pressure and think music playing. Learned League would have been a solve at some point under five minutes.

So much for having watching the Queen sing-along last week do me any good other being entertained for 40 minutes. Well, 35, when trying to ignore Jojo Siwa butchering "We Will Rock You".

Dane had several opportunities to take the lead and Hillary managed to maintain her slim margin by the end of the round. 2nd was the place to be today.

I feel sorry for mods in other places who will have to fend off comments about Hillary's time and chances granted on DD3. Alex would have done the same thing. Ken does not merit heat for it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CROSSWORD CLUES "H" $1000:

Shaggy-haired & bewhiskered
(7 Letters)

Not the correct response Hillary gave, but I'm wondering now if I could/should reverse my neg of "hipster"?
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:10 pm CROSSWORD CLUES "H" $1000:

(7 Letters)

Not the correct response Hillary gave, but I'm wondering now if I could/should reverse my neg of "hipster"?
I like it a lot better than my “haggard”.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This Final would have taken me every bit of the 30 seconds to puzzle out. I basically had to recite the whole Queen song in my head until I got to the right part. Before I tried that method, I had two other ABBA songs in mind, "Dancing Queen" and "Waterloo".
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:33 pm This Final would have taken me every bit of the 30 seconds to puzzle out. I basically had to recite the whole Queen song in my head until I got to the right part. Before I tried that method, I had two other ABBA songs in mind, "Dancing Queen" and "Waterloo".
You're faster than I am. When I got to the "mama mia"s I knew that was it, but I'm very certain I went over 30 seconds getting there. Said "Any Way the Wind Blows" to have something.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:10 pm CROSSWORD CLUES "H" $1000:

(7 Letters)
From a purely gamesmanship angle, it would have been interesting to ring in with “what is Hillary” and then argue like crazy it had to be counted as correct.

As for FJ, a cool question for bar trivia, a terrible one for FJ.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Plactus wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:48 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:33 pm This Final would have taken me every bit of the 30 seconds to puzzle out. I basically had to recite the whole Queen song in my head until I got to the right part. Before I tried that method, I had two other ABBA songs in mind, "Dancing Queen" and "Waterloo".
You're faster than I am. When I got to the "mama mia"s I knew that was it, but I'm very certain I went over 30 seconds getting there. Said "Any Way the Wind Blows" to have something.
My strategy was to pick random points in the song to start. "Galileo...", "Mama, I just killed a man...", "Any way the wind blows...", "Sometimes wish I'd never been born at all...", "I'm just a poor boy..."--aha! This strategy often gets me in trouble on Finals where they want you to "pick the president who meets such-and-such criteria", in which it's usually better to start from the most recent and go backwards, or from Washington and move forwards.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Huh. The correct FJ answer popped in my head almost immediately (and I deleted the Queen singalong after watching the first 10 minutes).
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh hey, a clue about not one, but TWO bands I can't freaking stand. It's like y'all don't WANT me to get FJ! right anymore... :lol:
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Funny how we get two Disney Princess-related clues given that last week on that sister show was the Disney Ultimate Princess Celebration.

Now I’m wondering how I missed FJ!…
Trying to figure out my life.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

I love Final as a trivia question, but 30 seconds is just too little time to compute. Maybe if you changed “Europop” to “Swedish” in the clue.
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

I should have come up with it given that I once hosted a TD with a "things mentioned in Bohemian Rhapsody" question. I wonder if there would have been a way to elegantly word the question to specify that the title in question was in fact in Bohemian Rhapsody, because I was trying to go through Queen's entire discography in my head.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I managed to get FJ right within 30 sec, but it was luck more than skill. Was just running through random lyrics (was Fandango a hit song?) and randomly hit upon Mamma Mia at which point the light bulb went off.
brick

Post by brick »

I got stuck at Dancing Queen, which I KNEW wasn't correct and couldn't find my way to Mama Mia in the time available. I knew ABBA right off though.
DBear

Post by DBear »

Woof wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:42 pm Was just running through random lyrics (was Fandango a hit song?)
Dunno, but that's what I went with. :(

Clammed on arbitrage. :x