Tuesday, November 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by clprez »

Got Kepler right this time. I was surprised it was a clue so soon after the last one.
davey

Post by davey »

I also said, "Shaken, not stirred," and never second-guessed. t's certainly a more distinctive phrase than the correct one. Even if the right one had come to me I might have thought, OK, that must have been his first line, and the martini line was second...
I also missed that DD by blanking on how many Theses there were....I went with 99... :roll:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 pm
I also missed that DD by blanking on how many Theses there were....I went with 99... :roll:
I remember Alex said that simply "Luther's theses" would have been accepted in this game's FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My wife also had "shaken, not stirred."
RetiredDoc
Contributor

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got FJ - Bond,etc, came to my mind first, and didn't think further than that
Knew it was Luther's Theses, but couldn't remember the number
I'm old, so I knew the Joan Rivers answer
LucarioSnooperVixey
Quizizz Jammer

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a couple clues in TV Crime Families and Comedian Catchphrases.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Add me to the "Shaken, not stirred" crowd. I figured "Bond, James Bond" was his first line, and the martini order was his 2nd.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

+1 "Shaken, not stirred."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:30 pm For some reason, I couldn't think of how to shorten, "My name is Bond, James Bond." Oh well.
+1 (playing from the board)
I assume his second line was literally just the three words. I don't recall the expression as a naked answer like this. It seems like the response is usually "My name is....", or "The name is...". I would have considered shaken, not stirred if I thought of it, but would have hated it because how is that a second line of a debut movie?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

DD1 was a joke clue.

I was not shaken by this FJ and have reached a 20 streak.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:50 am
econgator wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:30 pm For some reason, I couldn't think of how to shorten, "My name is Bond, James Bond." Oh well.
+1 (playing from the board)
I assume his second line was literally just the three words. I don't recall the expression as a naked answer like this. It seems like the response is usually "My name is....", or "The name is...". I would have considered shaken, not stirred if I thought of it, but would have hated it because how is that a second line of a debut movie?
Here's how: she sets him up.

Still kind of a tough choice for me over "Shaken, not stirred," but I chose wisely this time.

Gotta say, I love watching Andrew play this game, and I really like how Ken is growing into the role. Full agreement with Opus: give Ken the job (though I seem to recall he didn't really want it). If he's this good now, just imagine how smooth he'll be after a season or two.
Back in the pool
yclept

Post by yclept »

Sometimes, you need a little luck to keep your streak alive. Andrew had a strong game, locking out his opponents without a big DD move. The TOC is turning into quite a talented field and we are still a bit away from filling it (unless they decide to cut it off with some 3-day champs included).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

reddpen wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:06 am give Ken the job (though I seem to recall he didn't really want it).
He has been humble about not openly campaigning for it, but has said that, if called, he would serve. How could he not want the job, because how could anyone? If he were to continue to reside in Seattle, I can see how the air commute could get tiresome. But there is no candidate who would not have to make sacrifices. (Heck, a commute from Beverly Hills in L.A. traffic is almost as tiresome as a weekly flight and hotel stay.) Full agreement with opus and others about how much value Ken adds. The Neuriva stuff aside, Mayim's a fine host, but Ken is next-level.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Re life vs. water in habitable zones: given the pre-FJ scores and the FJ results (and also the fact that Andrew has established himself as one to wager $1 from a lock-tie), Michael has cause to be invited back. (And if that happened, and mbclev were still doing his thing, I'd have another counter-example. Feel free to ask for details; it's too much to explain unsolicited.)

I came up with "Bond, James Bond" and "shaken, not stirred," and I decided the clue was heavily implying an introduction and stuck with the correct response.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The only thing I can think of is that they felt that 'habitable' automatically implied life, but I agree; it wasn't pinned enough to exclude 'life'. He's got a good case to be called back.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:52 am The only thing I can think of is that they felt that 'habitable' automatically implied life, but I agree; it wasn't pinned enough to exclude 'life'. He's got a good case to be called back.
Not sure why habitable zone should imply life? The moon and Mars are both in our solar system's habitable zone.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): mother! (8), Kingsman: The Golden Circle (7), Chaplin (7), Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (8)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:22 am Not sure why habitable zone should imply life?
By definition of the word "habitable"?

The Moon and Mars also don't have surface liquid water, but that's not the point.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am Re life vs. water in habitable zones: given the pre-FJ scores and the FJ results (and also the fact that Andrew has established himself as one to wager $1 from a lock-tie), Michael has cause to be invited back. (And if that happened, and mbclev were still doing his thing, I'd have another counter-example. Feel free to ask for details; it's too much to explain unsolicited.)

I came up with "Bond, James Bond" and "shaken, not stirred," and I decided the clue was heavily implying an introduction and stuck with the correct response.
Asking for details.

Another martini order here.

I also said life.
SpiffJumper227
Contributor

Post by SpiffJumper227 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am I came up with "Bond, James Bond" and "shaken, not stirred," and I decided the clue was heavily implying an introduction and stuck with the correct response.
+1

I went with B, JB over S, NS, but I wasn't sure why. On reflection, I think I went exactly where you did. It didn't seem like there was enough prior conversation to have gotten into a drink order, yet.

Out of curiosity, did anyone use the year in the clue, or just trying to ID any movie that's gone through 26 offerings?
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 am given the pre-FJ scores and the FJ results (and also the fact that Andrew has established himself as one to wager $1 from a lock-tie), Michael has cause to be invited back.
I concur.

Got this FJ! I considered, "Shaken, not stirred," but I recalled the full line as "Vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred." To me, that's all one line, not one line per sentence. I interpreted the clue as saying the 3-word phrase is a complete line, but rereading it just now, I'm no longer certain that's true. Oh well. Still got it. :)
FJ get-rate for S36: 60/190 (31.6%)
FJ get-rate for S37: 82/230 (35.7%)
FJ get-rate for S38: 29/55 (52.7%)

Number of weeks where I solved 4/5 FJs this season: 3
Number of weeks where I solved 5/5 FJs since S35: Still working on that...